I thought it might be worth creating a separate thread for draft-specific chat - so it doesn't get buried in all the rest of list management and trading chat (including trading of draft picks). I'm envisaging this thread as an opportunity to discuss draft prospects for the 2022 AFL national and rookie drafts and, in particular, who we might want to draft. This thread could also include discussion of possible draft strategies including in terms of trading forward or back in the draft - so there will inevitably be some overlap with the more general list management and trading thread.

Currently we hold pick 14 and, let's say, 18 & 36. The first rounders will be pushed back one pick when the Lions match a bid for Ashcroft. The later pick might come in a couple of slots when the Lions match the bid on Ashcroft. Most likely we will just take 3 picks.

What are our list needs? You can't have too many midfielders but, outside of our best 22 we have a number of very promising young midfield talents: Campbell, Sheldrick, Roberts and, you-never-know, perhaps Sheather.

Conversely, in other areas of the ground the young players outside the best 22 look more serviceable than A-grade AFL talent e.g. Amartey, McLean, Melican, Ronke, Gould etc. etc. One exception is HHK who remains an unknown but looks like he has the talent to be seriously good. Corey Warner's future trajectory is also hard to predict but the ceiling is reasonable. Overall, I tend to think that with our first round picks we need to target players who have the potential to be future A-graders in positions around the ground other than midfield (although versatility is ideal). Especially we need to build some KPP depth.

So, because I can't tell who is going to be available at our picks (and there are bound to be some excellent players still on the board including ones that we most likely rate substantially higher than our picks), I want to focus on discussing the players who might suit our needs best. To me this is KPPs, and then understudies to the likes of Papley, Hayward, & Florent.

In terms of KPPs, at this stage it seems that Busslinger and Cadman will be taken by the time we have our first pick. If Busslinger were still available that would be brilliant - but KPDs are in high demand nowadays and so that probably won't happen. hat leaves options like Isaac Keeler (198 cm ruck-forward) and Lewis Hayes (197 cm key defender). Matthew Jefferson (195 cm KPP) and Harry Barnett (202 cm ruck) are other tall options. I don't pretend to have the ability to discern which ones are the best or most promising but I note Lewis Hayes height, late birthday (17 December) and good development this year as reasons he might be a good option for us. It will be interesting to see how he does at the draft combine because I wonder if he may have a poor tank (like his older brother Sam).

Another player I really like the look of is Tasmanian, Lachie Cowan. He's a speedy rebounding 188 cm half back i.e. someone who could be the understudy for Blakey. However, chances are we might prefer one of the available gun midfielders. We could cross our fingers and toes that Cowan is still available at our second round pick.

What do you think?

Is Hayes worthy of consideration with one of our first rounders? Would you be happy if we took him?

Should we considering trading up on draft night to nab Busslinger if we can? Would we be prepared to give picks 14 & 36 to get Busslinger and say a 3rd rounder back?

Should we try to trade both our first rounders and get up the order for some specific player you have your heart set on?

Here are a couple of useful links:

Cal Twomey's last (August) phantom form guide: Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' August ranking (afl.com.au).

Rookie Me Central September power rankings: AFL Draft Power Rankings - September 2022 - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

ESPN Chris Doerre's September power rankings: AFL Draft 2022 Phantom Draft Power Rankings September - Surprise at No.2, Bolters make their move (espn.com.au)