Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawthorn racism review

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Three things are turned against Norf in the past month:
    1. Losing Clarkson. No way he can coach again.
    2. Tassie team is faultering. With a bit of analysis, the economics are not there.
    3. 1st round draft pick wants to leave.

So, unviable in Melbourne. Door agar in Tassie. Need access to players (Tassie academy?)
    I agree with you barry about Clarkson. I know it is just someone's word against his but the damage has been done. He has always had a nasty streak. Look up the video for the "Battle of Britain" between North and Carlton for evidence.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    I agree with you barry about Clarkson. I know it is just someone's word against his but the damage has been done. He has always had a nasty streak. Look up the video for the "Battle of Britain" between North and Carlton for evidence.
    Yes...that disgusting footage is damning. Can't believe a person of that ilk ever got to be known and respected as 'the master coach'.....it's almost as if that deplorable incident has been wiped from history.

Senior Player
    He is a repeat offender. Everyone knows this. But swearing at and getting into a barney with an umpire official at an Under 9s
    game. That's the one he can never live down.

Senior Player
    The Carlton player - Ian Aitken was never the same after getting his jaw broken badly.

If it happened now I believe there would definitely be legal action. If any younger Members (under 40 say) have not seen the footage you should be able to find it on youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone deserves a presumption of innocence but the latest issue is going to be EXTREMELY hard to prove or disprove.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes...that disgusting footage is damning. Can't believe a person of that ilk ever got to be known and respected as 'the master coach'.....it's almost as if that deplorable incident has been wiped from history.
    Like Leigh Matthews’ hit on Neville Bruns has been.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Like Leigh Matthews’ hit on Neville Bruns has been.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Yeah but that was a longer ago - still shameful. I believe Matthews did get some court action but it was so long ago I forget.

- - - Updated - - -

The old VFA was even worse. Port Melbourne champion goal kicker Freddy Cook got his jaw broken in a Grand final in the first quarter - about 1979 I think.

He came off and told Port legend Norm Goss Snr (whose two sons played for South) that he couldnt go on because of a broken jaw.

I believe Norm Snr's response was "You don't kick with your bloody jaw - get back on"

Veterans List

The old VFA was even worse. Port Melbourne champion goal kicker Freddy Cook got his jaw broken in a Grand final in the first quarter - about 1979 I think.

He came off and told Port legend Norm Goss Snr (whose two sons played for South) that he couldnt go on because of a broken jaw.

I believe Norm Snr's response was "You don't kick with your bloody jaw - get back on"
    I remember watching the VFA matches on Channel 0 (now 10) on Sunday afternoon's in the 70's. You were almost guaranteed to see a brawl (often all-in) or a coward punch....it was brutal and at times, completely mindless.

It's almost like the VFA wanted a 'point of difference' for viewers of the more popular VFL....and it seemed that difference was straight out thuggery.

Senior Player
    I remember watching the VFA matches on Channel 0 (now 10) on Sunday afternoon's in the 70's. You were almost guaranteed to see a brawl (often all-in) or a coward punch....it was brutal and at times, completely mindless.

It's almost like the VFA wanted a 'point of difference' for viewers of the more popular VFL....and it seemed that difference was straight out thuggery.
    Yes the off field stuff was bad - it was pretty brutal on field too lol.

Veterans List
    Does anyone know if there is a video of the Matthews assaults on the footy field? He puts Clarkson to shame.

Yeah but that was a longer ago - still shameful. I believe Matthews did get some court action but it was so long ago I forget.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Matthews was charged with assault. My dad had been a reserves player at Port Melbourne, and after this episode he told all of us never to play Aussie Rules again. Didn’t work, of course, but we understood where he was coming from.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Senior Player
    The whole footy tough guy thing is just total BS. I always remember the quote from the ex NFL player then commentator who
    was at the World Trade Ctr on 9/11 who said he would never speak again of how tough football players were as he saw firefighters
    and police running into the towers as he was running out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    The whole footy tough guy thing is just total BS. I always remember the quote from the ex NFL player then commentator who
    was at the World Trade Ctr on 9/11 who said he would never speak again of how tough football players were as he saw firefighters
    and police running into the towers as he was running out.
    Yep, KT.
    That's a reality jolt.