Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawthorn racism review

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Looks like Norf have signed up a real beauty in Clarko. If any of this is true, the guy should be blackballed from the game.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-...view/101452320
    I have heard a bit on the TV about all this today but to actually read these accounts makes horrific reading. Does not look good for Clarkson or Fagan.....and it is terribly disappointing that the club could even think this sort of approach to club 'success' was in any way acceptable. To manipulate young men and women and their relationships in this way is just terrible.

Gobsmacking arrogance and bigotry.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I thought something similar and was also reminded of Essendon's 'Whatever It Takes'. Time to remember this is only a game and there are - and should be - limits.

While high performance environments are typically and intentionally challenging, there need to be explicit reminders about the dangers and limits of pushing to the limits and not sliding past them. Another challenge (for every organisation) is to find a safe way to enable whistle-blowing.

Just in relation to the breaking news: I am encouraged that the AFL is going to appoint and independent, external group to review these allegations, and that the group will include Indigenous representation.

I'm also impressed that consideration is being given to standing Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan down pending the results of the investigation. I guess this is an easier decision to make on the eve of the off-season (although perhaps not given that it's also the eve of the trade period). I think that one relevant consideration is what might be the penalties if the allegations are sustained? Will there careers as coaches be ended (at least temporarily)? If so, then it seems appropriate to stand them down now. But if not, I don't think it's so appropriate.

Another thought is: while these allegations are horrifying, the conduct alleged does not appear to be criminal and it is concerning that terms which are taken from the criminal law, like 'complainant' and 'accused', are being used in the discussion. At this early stage my view is that while these allegations are highly relevant to the staff involved's ongoing involvement in the game, these incidents, even if admitted, do not make them criminals and they shouldn't be treated as criminals.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how much (if any) improvement the AFL shows compared to past incidents which they have just sought to manage serious incidents in the most pragmatic and commercial way possible using spin doctors.
    Morally it is criminal.....just not by the law. If these allegations are true and I have no reason to believe they are not, both men should be removed from league service. Their behaviour is totally unacceptable. Also, Newbold should be removed from the Commission.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Morally it is criminal.....just not by the law. If these allegations are true and I have no reason to believe they are not, both men should be removed from league service. Their behaviour is totally unacceptable. Also, Newbold should be removed from the Commission.
    Coercing someone to have an abortion must be borderline criminal. I wonder if it will be referred to the law at some stage if proven?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Clarko's role at Norf now on hold too

Club Statement
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Coercing someone to have an abortion must be borderline criminal. I wonder if it will be referred to the law at some stage if proven?
    From the reports I've seen it's actually coercing someone to coerce someone to have an abortion. I imagine that would be tricky to prosecute.

According to the statement, Clarko is not going to start work until 1 November 2022 and that's not going to change. However, from what we've been hearing and reading, Clarko's been up to his eyeballs in sounding out recruits for new staff and players to come to NMFC. Will that change? Might just fly a bit below the radar but keep going.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Newbold has taken leave of absence.

Veterans List
    When I read the reports this morning I was disgusted. Then I got angry thinking about how something like this could happen.

If the allegations are true then there needs to be consequences for those involved.

Can you imagine if Brisbane had won last week and were in the GF??

I wonder if there's anything in Clarkson's contract which would preclude him from getting his full 5 year payout even if the club is obliged not to let him be their coach. What would North do if they had to hire a new coach and still pay out Clarko his million plus a year?

The allegations today are sickening.

And like many swans fans I am taken back to Adam Goodes’ treatment and how the Hawks’ fans and hierarchy lead that charge.

I have no faith whatsoever in the AFL “integrity” commission or anything they run pretending to be independent. The mere fact that this comes out in GF week, when we are focused on the GF, stinks to high heaven.

The whitewashing must stop. The cover ups must stop. The protection of mates must stop.

Nothing less than a public and independent full transparent enquirer run by a leading judge will suffice.

The Roar sports website is mainly a rugby site but would normally have one afl news story to read, and it is not the grand final they are running. It this Hawthorn story. It seems so revolting as to be enough to be preposterous., "kill your unborn child"??? FFS.

From Eddie Betts to Chad Wingard, the incidents of abuse of indigenous players has continued on even years after the Adam Goodes affair. And the AFL has done effectively nothing.

Would it be too cynical to think that the AFL will do nothing about this latest allegation? Surely there will be a commission, but what will really happen to change things? Pardon me if I'm skeptical.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Watching AFL360 tonight, two big points got raised.

Eddie Betts made the point it was no surprise. He told the story of being at a pool this year (yes, this year) and being asked to leave because two older, whiter people complained about his presence. Devastating, but it was a lead to the issue of racism being so prevalent it was ingrained in ways large and small and other clubs are unlikely to be immune and should consider their own version of the Hawks’ report. It’s hard to argue against.

And Whateley made the point about bigger issues, which is the issue clubs make of protecting and cultivating young players as people first, footballers second being a pretence at times. Look at Essendon during the drugs saga, or this. I’d be confident with someone who places so much emphasis on mental health and player wellbeing as Horse, we’d be very well placed. But you can never get lax about it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast