View Poll Results: Who would you select?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amartey

4 44.44%
  • McLean

4 44.44%
  • MacDonald

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 GF - McLean vs Amartey

2022 GF - McLean vs Amartey

Does anyone know why McLean was selected ahead of Amartey?

I understood from earlier in the year Joel was infront of Hayden?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Think his hard running and ability to clunk a mark put him ahead of Joel who hasn’t put it together at senior level quite as much. I think they want the Cats defence to be more accountable and McLean will do that

Happy to trust Longmire and co on this one, they haven’t made too many bad decisions this season

Senior Player
    McLean provides a point of difference with his ability to stand in a pack in the goal square and clunk a mark above his head. Amartey (and Logan) are more lead-up players. Franklin took the brute role last week; McLean in gives us more flexibility in the way we use Lance.

So harsh on Logan, but I can see it working.

Joel looked a bit lost when in the Ruck to me and often his opponent would run forward off him . Doesn’t have the motor of McLean so I think that’s the main reason he gets the nod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because McLean is about 10 times better than Amartey.

Senior Player
    Omens? How far we've come?

Hayden McLean > Xavier Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Because McLean is about 10 times better than Amartey.
    Not sure that's true.

Amartey was in the VFL team of the year.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Amartey is a better pack mark (and at bringing the ball to ground) than people are giving him credit for - he's better than McDonald at those things. Amartey's also more mobile, and better at jumping and rucking. However, he isn't quite as strong as McLean and doesn't have McLean's tank.

I'm sure the match committee have thought carefully about this selection and they have specific reasons for selecting McLean and a specific role for him to play. I'll back 'em in.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Didn’t McLean play a sacrificial role earlier in the year taking the oppositions best interceptor and keeping them accountable?

I’m not sure he’s going to do exactly that today, but he’s clearly a very disciplined and coach able player.

Are we sure Reid is going to play?

Senior Player
    Amartey is good at centre clearances. Acts as a ruck rover after the tap. Not tried enough. We needed his strength in the GF today.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    I voted for Amartey because he is at least mobile. McLean has a turning circle bigger than the Queen Mary. McLean looked completely lost on GF day.

Senior Player
    We'll never know whether it would've made a difference, pretty unlikely with the freight train that was Geelong

One thing that I'm completely puzzled by though is McCLean's sub par rucking, he's ineffectual at the centre bounce, and for a guy with a big motor he offers nothing around the ground when rucking

I don't see a future at AFL level if he can't add that to his game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast