Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on AFLW

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    It's already 16 a side. There is a 5-6-5 rule. One of the things that hurts AFLW the most is people making uninformed comments about things they know little about. Might I suggest the AFL know what they're doing, perish the thought.
    The paying public can only go on what they see.....and what they see at the moment is low quality football. It's got nothing to do with knowing "little"....and I reckon you might be challenged on the concept of the AFL "knowing what they're doing"!

Veteran Site Admin
    I am curious about whether the comments made in this thread arise from mostly watching the Swans AFLW team or are based on broader viewing of the competition. Clearly our team is, at the moment, a long way behind most and probably some way behind all the rest. It will likely take a while for that to change. But the standard of the game played by the better teams is now pretty decent. It's come a huge way from the first couple of seasons.

I'm not an avid AFLW watcher by any means. I've watched all but one of our games this year (two of them live, the rest on TV) but don't spend my time glued to games between other clubs. Nonetheless, I've watched enough over the past seven years to see how it's improved in that time. Even if you just watched the games played by the Swans this year, surely you can see how the Giants, Roos etc are now able to move the ball cleanly, with purpose and with structure. They've been assisted by our women's defensive limitations but, regardless, it is clearly now Australian football (which was maybe questionable in the early seasons).

Senior Player
    It's already 16 a side. There is a 5-6-5 rule. One of the things that hurts AFLW the most is people making uninformed comments about things they know little about. Might I suggest the AFL know what they're doing, perish the thought.
    AFLX

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am curious about whether the comments made in this thread arise from mostly watching the Swans AFLW team or are based on broader viewing of the competition. Clearly our team is, at the moment, a long way behind most and probably some way behind all the rest. It will likely take a while for that to change. But the standard of the game played by the better teams is now pretty decent. It's come a huge way from the first couple of seasons.

I'm not an avid AFLW watcher by any means. I've watched all but one of our games this year (two of them live, the rest on TV) but don't spend my time glued to games between other clubs. Nonetheless, I've watched enough over the past seven years to see how it's improved in that time. Even if you just watched the games played by the Swans this year, surely you can see how the Giants, Roos etc are now able to move the ball cleanly, with purpose and with structure. They've been assisted by our women's defensive limitations but, regardless, it is clearly now Australian football (which was maybe questionable in the early seasons).
    I think the standard is a LOT better especially against the established teams. I regard the Roos as one of the best sides - no doubt about it.

The Swans AFLW is not the only reason I posted. The general lack of scoring and one sided games is another. The AFLW NEEDS shorter grounds.

Senior Player
    I think while there is a genuine interest for the AFLW at the moment, it's just going to take at least a few years for the skill level of the
    players to catch up. In the end though it will have to compete with all the other football codes and leagues to be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Why am I uninformed if I may ask?

I have watched at least 30 games and about 5 in person.

How do comments hurt a game? Should it not be robust enough to endure criticism?
    And yet you didn't even know how many players were on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

How do comments hurt a game? Should it not be robust enough to endure criticism?
    AFLX
    I rest my case your honour.

Senior Player
    My apologies - maybe more are needed as it is painful to watch at the moment.

I am a hard core footy fan and watch nearly every Men's game but am losing interest in AFLW

It is a bit like watching Test Cricket in 1975 at the moment without the tension.

Veterans List
    Don't derail this thread with this back and forth drivel....who cares how many are on the field? It's the standard of the footy they're playing which is the actual crux of the thread....and that standard is plain for all to see.

Senior Player

- - - Updated - - -

I rest my case your honour.
    To be honest it doesn't matter what you or I think.

The ratings will determine the 'value' of the game. The grounds are too big and scoring (by all teams) is too low.

I think the standard is a LOT better especially against the established teams. I regard the Roos as one of the best sides - no doubt about it.

The Swans AFLW is not the only reason I posted. The general lack of scoring and one sided games is another. The AFLW NEEDS shorter grounds.
    The 3 best games this weekend were played at Ballarat, Fremantle and St kilda. All full size grounds. Plenty of goals scored in all 3 games.

Senior Player
    So two games with the winners above 60 points.

OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Two games with sides scoring THREE and ONE points

The next draft has about 20 outstanding players lining up and the year after will be massive. The Swans will get priority picks and hopefully some good youngsters from the Academy. A full pre season will also help. The girls will be competitive quicker than you think.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast