Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on AFLW

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Pre 2010 no one gave a damn about Womens football in England. Then some clever person started up Womens Premier league. 12 years later there is a crowd of 95k at Wembley for a Womens Soccer friendly. It can all happen quickly.
    It just happens that our best footballer (up to this point) plays in it.

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    Let me ask you this...and I am not trying to be an ass. Are you ok with corporate and / or government sports subsidizing an athletic competition? For me, I have a huge problem with government sponsorship of professional sports... I believe our tax dollars are better off going to more essential resources. Likewise, I don't like corporations getting tax breaks for supporting programs where the public support just isn't there.
    I'm unsure, but allow me to ask a question in return. If it came down to it, would you prefer sport to exist or not? I know there is an opportunity cost. Being on this forum is evidence of my answer!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    AFLW will be here long after you and I are gone from this earth. Who pays for it is irrelevant. In 2-3 years the expansion clubs will have caught up talent wise. AFLW is in it's 7th season so I'm guessing crowds under 1000 must be sustainable and the Advertisers keep lining up or the AFLW wouldn't exist.
    I sincerely hope it is.

Yes it will be better when the competition is more even....and even better still when the skill level rises to a more watchable spectacle. Having said that, an even comp will be irrelevant if the footys crap.

I'm also a big believer in the adage 'you can't be what you can't see' so it's easy to be optimistic that the game will head in the right direction.

Senior Player
    The difference between AFLW and RLW and Womens soccer is those games are much easier to be 'OK' at especially Rugba League.

The standard Aussies Rules ground is much too big for AFLW - its not just the Swans BTW. Port only scored 3 points.

Thoughts on AFLW

When referring to scoring, don’t forget that the men’s matches run for a significantly longer time than those of the women.

The men play 20 minute quarters plus time-on for all stoppages. Women play 15 minute quarters with time-on called during stoppages only in the last two minutes of each term. That makes the women’s matches not much more than half the length of the men’s.

And also don’t forget that in 2020, when the length of quarters in the men’s matches was cut to 16 minutes as part of managing Covid, in one match the Swans men’s team only kicked 2.7 (19) ..... (against Freo).

So I suggest a little caution before using low scoring as a reason to criticise the AFLW.

Senior Player
    Yes Meg I understand the time differences. But the viewing public is not going to tune in long with the state of some of the games.

My fundamental argument is about the size of the ground. Not the ability of the women.

I think the ground size is working AGAINST the AFLW. Refer back to the game at North Sydney - easily the best all round game for promotion of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And also don’t forget that in 2020, when the length of quarters in the men’s matches was cut to 16 minutes as part of managing Covid, in one match the Swans men’s team only kicked 2.7 (19) ..... (against Freo).

So I suggest a little caution before using low scoring as a reason to criticise the AFLW.
    That men’s Freo score still out scored the Swans AFLW combined scores of rounds 2,4&6 against Collingwood, Port and North (2.5 17 over 3 matches). And if you add the Swans next lowest score against GW$, the AFLW have a combined total of 4.11 35 over their 4 lowest scoring matches.

I don’t think the low scoring is the main criticism, rather, the factors that result in the low scoring.

But scores of 0.1 and 0.2? No senior Swans team in history has scored so poorly. You’d have to go back to round 8 1899 (0.5 v Carlton) to see a Swans scoreline approaching those performances. And they still out scored the combined 2 worst AFLW efforts.

But comparing AFLW with the mens - of any era - is apples and oranges and quite frankly, rather pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by 0918330512 View Post
    That men’s Freo score still out scored the Swans AFLW combined scores of rounds 2,4&6 against Collingwood, Port and North (2.5 17 over 3 matches). And if you add the Swans next lowest score against GW$, the AFLW have a combined total of 4.11 35 over their 4 lowest scoring matches.

I don’t think the low scoring is the main criticism, rather, the factors that result in the low scoring.

But scores of 0.1 and 0.2? No senior Swans team in history has scored so poorly. You’d have to go back to round 8 1899 (0.5 v Carlton) to see a Swans scoreline approaching those performances. And they still out scored the combined 2 worst AFLW efforts.

But comparing AFLW with the mens - of any era - is apples and oranges and quite frankly, rather pointless.
    “But comparing AFLW with the mens - of any era - is apples and oranges and quite frankly, rather pointless.”

So why are you doing it?

Give the Swans women a break: they are part-timers, who had an EIGHT week preseason, and many of them met each other and the coach for the first time at the start of that preseason. They train after 5pm, many of them after work or study. Last week in Melbourne was the first time they were able to have a day training session.

Scott Gowans is not worrying about the scoreline in this first Swans season. He is developing an inexperienced group whom he has described as the most coachable he has worked with. I recommend listening to his interviews to gain a feel for his objectives for the team.

If we have total scores of just a few points in 5 years time, then we have a problem. Right now I suggest we should celebrate that the Swans have a women’s team, and give them our support.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I think the comparison started with you Meg?

I’m happy for the competition to thrive but I think it’s clearly been expanded way too quickly. There just aren’t enough players to produce a quality output. It’s a tricky situation as no club will want to shrink, but I think it would have been better to run a 10-12 team comp for a decade or more to build up numbers.

Even The A league can’t sustain that number of teams when it has established junior programs, smaller player rosters and includes New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post

I’m happy for the competition to thrive but I think it’s clearly been expanded way too quickly. There just aren’t enough players to produce a quality output. It’s a tricky situation as no club will want to shrink, but I think it would have been better to run a 10-12 team comp for a decade or more to build up numbers.

Even The A league can’t sustain that number of teams when it has established junior programs, smaller player rosters and includes New Zealand
    Comparing the AFL competition with the A League is also fraught with danger as soccer (football) is the true world footy code.

None of our better players play in Australia. Over 200 currently line up in overseas competitions and will return to Oz to finish up their decorated careers.

The A League is a pathway to more robust competition abroad.

Everyone agrees that AFLW needs time to develop. As I said previously, increasing the starting salary will help to attract players. Having a Swans AFLW team will encourage our academy players as they can see the end point.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Correct weight

Senior Player
    Increasing the starting salary will bring even more athletes over from other sports who didn't grow up playing footy.