Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on AFLW

Veterans List
    I think it was a mistake to start the AFLW season earlier this year. The new teams were already going to be at a disadvantage, but this disadvantage was multiplied when we only had a pre season of 10 weeks. So of course the quality of the games is going to be poor.

And as Meg noted in an earlier post, the players can only train at night after work/school etc. Last week was the first time they spent multiple days together and were able to train during the day.

Today I listened to the Swans AFLW podcast with Kate Mahony and she said that due to the low soft cap, there are only 6 full time staff. The doctor and physios as well as other staff are part time. She mentioned that this isn't sustainable.

Up until recently, girls weren't able to continue playing once they reached a certain age. So of course the skills aren't going to be as good as the men's game. But hopefully this will improve in future years, especially with the girls progressing through our academy.

We have to be patient. I get frustrated watching us play, but I keep reminding myself about the points above.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If it's not for you, fine. No-one is forcing you to watch it. Or to comment on it in this thread.
    No need to get your knickers in a knot

Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    No need to get your knickers in a knot
    What a horrid reply.
    I was going to comment earlier on this entire thread and why it was even created and just hoped it would die a natural death.

I personally have been to every home match so far at the different locations and have thoroughly loved the vibe, the beginnings of a future.
    I've gone with both my daughter and my niece. There'll be a time when the skills levels go through the roof.
    I'm a swans supporter , a supporter of girls and women having the same pathways and opportunities.
    Why are we demeaning this project which is in its infancy..girls that are being born now will one day have had a football and a dream fulfilled to play this professional sport and will have acquired those skills to play at am amazing level. It has to start somewhere. They'll carry a ball with them everywhere knowing there's a future in the sport.
    Why are we speaking of smaller grounds , and all of the other criticisms.
    Can we please just leave it alone and if you want to watch the development and the start of something please support it otherwise just watch the men's only if you wish to but why do we even have this thread.

I'll continue to go to every game. I realise we are on a different level to the teams that have been in AFLw for a few years already but boy do I already have favourite players and can see the spirit and the skills that will develop with more preparation and support staff, having that amazing home base at the hall of industries soon.

I'm a big supporter of what women bring to sport and I'll keep watching them and supporting them. I don't need any wins or to compare them to men's sport.
    Some of the comments on this thread are beyond belief.

Senior Player
    I think the AFLW is always going to be compared to the AFL because well, it's footy. And this thread will be like the others where
    some people get worked up by other's comments because well, it's a thread. That's what happens on the interweb.
    I think as long as enough people keep supporting the AFLW by watching it at the ground and on TV and there is financial support
    for it thru that and everyone stays engaged then it'll do fine. The skill levels will improve as a higher percentage of the players are
    people that have come thru the junior ranks and been playing for a long time. That seems inevitable to me.
    Sorry folks, but this smaller ground thing. Isn't it a bit demeaning? Each to his own and all that, but I don't agree with it.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    So what if the scoring in AFLW is lower? It's a silly argument. Soccer often has games with nil-all draws and it's the most popular winter sport in the world. It's the contest that matters.

The scores are not ever going to be as high as the men's game as long as the AFLW games have only 75% of the playing time as the men's game. IMO the scores will be higher over time as the skill level improves, and average scores will rise to the range of around 40 to 50 (they're about 30 to 35 now).
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    I don't think that those on here who have lamented the skill level of AFLW are 'demeaning' the concept of AFLW or womens sport in general at all.....but I can only speak for myself when I say I want the game to succeed and to see women afforded the same pathways and opportunities as men to succeed in life and sport. I am a big believer in the adage, 'you can't be what you can't see'.

However I can also comment on what I actually see. I see that women's rugby more closely resembles the men's game and is very watchable. I see that women's soccer more resembles the men's game and is very watchable. What I see in AFLW resembles the men's game far less and is at times cringeworthy to watch. This is not a knock on AFLW as a concept.....it is just what I see and dare I say it, what everyone sees. Some of us like to be honest and some like to massage the truth.....but I won't accept that I'm 'demeaning' the game because I comment more negatively (and honestly) on what I see.

The AFLW really does have a long way to go.....but as others have rightly stated, it will improve as the same pathways as the men are followed by females from a young age. Women play soccer from a young age so it stands to reason they are better as adults. Rugby is just an easier game to play than AFL so the women play a good brand of footy quicker. It will take time but the AFLW will get there.....I/we just have to be patient.

But please don't argue until your blue in the face that AFLW is attractive to watch....or for that matter, worth paying to see. It isn't (yet) but it will be one day. It's called growing pains and it's all part of the journey to greatness.....and anyone doubting the ability of women to adapt, improve and eventually triumph is frankly, kidding themselves. We've all had mothers.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 17th October 2022 at 12:41 PM.

I think you make lots of valid points but to tell me that I don't enjoy watching the improvement or that Im wasting my money paying to see it..I think that's really not up to you to tell me either.
    You're being a little preachy there and I'd rather I didn't waste my time in that argument.
    If you don't think it's currently worth watching or paying money to see it then don't and stop trying to tell me what I think.
    It's a wasted conversation.
    I'll comment on the matches I see and the improvements and good points and I'll pay to see the matches and you can do whatever you like
    But please don't preach to me

And as for all having mothers.
    Mine died when I was 2, but I do have a daughter.
    So maybe stop the big statements

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I think you make lots of valid points but to tell me that I don't enjoy watching the improvement or that Im wasting my money paying to see it..I think that's really not up to you to tell me either.
    You're being a little preachy there and I'd rather I didn't waste my time in that argument.
    If you don't think it's currently worth watching or paying money to see it then don't and stop trying to tell me what I think.
    It's a wasted conversation.
    I'll comment on the matches I see and the improvements and good points and I'll pay to see the matches and you can do whatever you like
    But please don't preach to me
    I wasn't telling you not to go Joey, I was just saying I wouldn't pay to watch it......and that's a 'yet'.....and it is only my opinion, not a message or instruction to anyone.

Also, I don't think I was preaching.....I used one word from your post, ie: 'demeaning' but that doesn't mean I was necessarily talking just to you, it was to anyone who has defended AFLW by attacking other's opinions as somehow not supporting our women's team or the women's game in general.....and get very defensive over it.....much like you just did above.

Spend your money on whatever you want to.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    And as for all having mothers.
    Mine died when I was 2, but I do have a daughter.
    So maybe stop the big statements
    Chill mate....just chill.

Senior Player
    My brutal assessment which will inevitably alienate some in here and resonate with others.
    I enjoy watching a myriad of sports and viewing them allows me to enjoy a level of escapism that other tv or cinema product doesn’t deliver.
    However for that to occur the viewed product needs to be of a certain quality or skill level for me to appreciate that these people are performing at a level that I could never attain.
    I get that appreciation with Netball, Golf, Tennis, Soccer and many other female sports but I just don’t get that with AFLW yet.
    In the future given it’s relatively short lifespan this may occur but to be honest currently it is not a product that I as a consumer would pay to view.
    Don’t get me wrong I love AFL but some of the AFLW games I have seen so far are in my opinion not worthy of being broadcast.
    My wife is a strong advocate of equality and as a teacher faces the gender bias regularly and understands the importance of presenting positive female role models .
    However after watching 1/4 of a game recently she was bemused as to why it was being shown live on TV. Her viewpoint was that it was not doing the game any favours by presenting what was in her opinion a poor quality product especially if you are attempting to increase junior participation.
    Many of the issues we discussed were not skill related but related to the very nature of the game of AFL itself which is built around several key physical attributes which may not be as readily apparent in the female game.
    Some examples are the physical contesting of the ball around ball ups and boundary throw ins.
    Watch an AFL game and see the physicality and explosive energy that occurs around the contest and then watch the same play in an AFLW game where its almost like a game of keeping offs.
    Marking contests and for that matter marks are almost non existent and the leading goal scorer averages 2 goals a game.
    There is a lot to like about where the skill level and overall quality of the game is heading but unfortunately at this stage of its development it is not something that I would readily and proactively chose to seek out to watch on TV.

I'm glad I can now that you've told me I can. So relieved I can chill now

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast