Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFLW Round 8: Sydney Swans v Essendon 3.10pm AEDT Sat 15 Oct 2022 Ikon Park

AFLW Round 8: Sydney Swans v Essendon 3.10pm AEDT Sat 15 Oct 2022 Ikon Park

Our women head back to Victoria to play Essendon, another expansion side, in Round 8 of the AFLW tomorrow (Saturday).

The Swans are still striving for their first win, while the Bombers are in 12th place on the ladder with two wins (against Hawthorn and WCE).

Scott Gowans has said he is seeing gradual improvement in our team and wants perseverance in the effort and intensity the women have shown. With only three games left in the season he has also promised to try a few new things by playing a little differently this week.

With 10 out of 10 AFLW ‘expert’ tippers expecting an Essendon win, this seems a good approach at the back end of the year.

The game is part of AFLW's Pride Round and the team will wear the Sydney Swans Pride Guernsey, the same design that the men's team have worn the past two AFL Pride Games.

The game will be broadcast LIVE on FOX FOOTY and Kayo, and 7Mate in NSW and QLD

There are two changes to the side this week, with Zoe Hurrell making her debut and Paige Sheppard returning from illness.

SYDNEY

B: Kiara Beesley, Brenna Tarrant
    HB: Ella Heads, Bella Smith, Bridie Kennedy
    C: Molly Eastman, Sofia Hurley, Cynthia Hamilton
    HF: Sarah Dargan, Rebecca Privitelli, Brooke Lochland
    F: Lexi Hamilton, Aliesha Newman
    Foll: Ally Morphett, Lauren Szigeti, Montana Ham
    Int: Alana Woodward, Lisa Steane, Paige Sheppard, Zoe Hurrell, Sarah Skinner

Emg: Ruby Sargent-Wilson, Sarah Ford, Genevieve Lawson Tavan

IN: Zoe Hurrell (debut), Paige Sheppard
    OUT: Maddy Collier (illness), Ruby Sargent-Wilson (omitted)

Good game of footy so far. If we can find a way to get a bit more of the ball from midfield we are a chance here.

Great for Zoe Hurrell to get a goal with her first possession in her first match
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Fantastic first half effort. Thoroughly deserve to be in front at the break and if we can repeat that effort in the 2nd half we are a real chance to get a win today!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Crossing fingers and toes.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Oh no All that hard work wiped clean in just a few minutes of footy. Need to find a way to get the ball out of the middle.

Veterans List
    I think I jinxed us. I'm away so can't watch the match and when I checked the score we were 10 points up. I noticed on the app it is broadcast on radio so I put it on to listen to the game and since then Essendon have scored 2 goals and then just missed another!

We just hit the post ☹.

That goal at the end is a coach killer.

What a frustrating quarter. Punished by a terrible start with 2 quick goals, and some lack of situational awareness there to cough up two chances right at the end.

Still not convinced by the 'hit the post' either.... but I've accepted the umpiring in the AFLW is as ordinary, baffling and inconsistent as the AFLM competition. The piece of play where the same Bombers player dropped it at least twice, maybe even three times yet got away with it every time summed it up well.

Feels like it'll be tough from here, but be great if we could get an early goal. Irrespective of the result, the effort has been great again today, and starting to see the team put together some really nice sequences of play.

Sigh. We had our chances in the last quarter but poor decision making at times going forward really hurt us - so disappointing to get so close but not be able to get over the line.

Great effort from the team, and been really impressed by several of our players today, but a bit disappointing as there was a definite chance to get our first win.

I am looking forward to seeing what we can do next season once we've built some more fitness and had a proper pre-season together - I like the style of footy we are trying to play, and we have some very good players in the making. Super impressed with Tarrant today in particular - a really calm head down back and someone we can hopefully build our defence around going forward.
    Last edited by mcs; 15th October 2022 at 04:59 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    RS nomination for Hurley? She was very good today.

Despite the disappointment in the end, there were some excellent signs of improvement, particularly the ability to string possessions together.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    RS nomination for Hurley? She was very good today.

Despite the disappointment in the end, there were some excellent signs of improvement, particularly the ability to string possessions together.
    Huge step forward for first year team!

Veterans List
    Did anyone keep score?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast