Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AFLW Round 8: Sydney Swans v Essendon 3.10pm AEDT Sat 15 Oct 2022 Ikon Park

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Apparently the AFL have admitted Molly Eastman's shot for goal in the third quarter was a goal not a point. Swans probably should have won the game.
    Goal-umpiring error cost Swans in loss to Dons: AFL (womens.afl)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Interesting analysis of the improvements shown by the Swans in Saturday’s game.

“IT HAS been a tough induction to the AFLW for Sydney. ……………. but energy is up in the Swans camp …………… they seem to have turned a corner.’

https://www.womens.afl/news/110426

Veterans List
    What a dreadfully amateurish incorrect score call. May well have robbed us of our first victory which was deserved, grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Will be interesting to see what we do. I suspect it will be a case of doing all we can to maintain the main key core (The Triple H + a few others), then refresh some parts from there - but without drastic surgery if we can avoid it.
    I'm willing to bet we are already talking to the next top Victorian draft picks to see who's interested in Sydney Uni and a unit at the beach, similar to what we did with Hurley and Hams. I also reckon we're in line for a priority pick or two. Our pick one will be of interest to all Vic clubs so a trade might be happening for an A Grader as well. If we manage the next 6 months well I can see us being very competitive next year. Only guessing but we'd be due a few decent players out of the Academy sometime soon I'd reckon.

On the veteran's list
    Absolute and utter rubbish speculation. It was in the third quarter for goodness sake! The ball would have gone back to the centre and not kicked out. Swans could have lost by ten goals after that. Who knows.

I get frustrated with commentators (and barrackers) that they can't see that one event impacts on the next. Had the kick in question been taken on, or after, the final siren then a result can be safely assumed.

BTW, cricket commentators are the worst. A catch is dropped and the batsmen run a quick single and the new batsman then gets bowled. "He should have two wickets," some idiot commentator yells.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veteran Site Admin
    The article doesn’t claim that the mistake cost the Swans victory, merely that it cost them in the game. Which clearly it did. It cost them five points.

As always, however, it is easy to fixate on particularly bad mistakes. (And clearly this was a particularly bad mistake from the goal umpire.) There was another blatant error when Ham wasn’t penalised for a clear cut HTB decision when she was trying to run the ball out of defence. That would have given the Bombers a shot at goal about 30m out. Though I don’t recall how play unfolded after that - ie whether they got a shot in the immediate passage of play anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123