Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AFLW Round 10: Sydney Swans v Geelong 5.10pm AEDT Sat 29 Oct 2022 GMHBA Stadium

AFLW Round 10: Sydney Swans v Geelong 5.10pm AEDT Sat 29 Oct 2022 GMHBA Stadium

One very positive note from our last match of the season: Cynthia Hamilton - she of the red and white headgear and flowing hair - has been awarded a rising star nomination.

Cynthia had 13 contested possessions, three rebound 50s, 447 metres gained and disposed the ball at 78.95 per cent efficiency.

This means all three of our top three draft picks this year have been nominated for the Rising Star award (Montana Ham (Round 4) and Sofia Hurley (Round 9)). Kudos to our draft selectors.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...tar-nomination

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    One very positive note from our last match of the season: Cynthia Hamilton - she of the red and white headgear and flowing hair - has been awarded a rising star nomination.

Cynthia had 13 contested possessions, three rebound 50s, 447 metres gained and disposed the ball at 78.95 per cent efficiency.

This means all three of our top three draft picks this year have been nominated for the Rising Star award (Montana Ham (Round 4) and Sofia Hurley (Round 9)). Kudos to our draft selectors.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...tar-nomination
    And add to that her pressure and ferocious tackling. She made some big hits. She's outstanding and my pick for favourite player

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    And add to that her pressure and ferocious tackling. She made some big hits. She's outstanding and my pick for favourite player
    According to the AFLW website, Cynthia is a former Australian junior judo representative so I suppose that ferocious tackling is no surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    According to the AFLW website, Cynthia is a former Australian junior judo representative so I suppose that ferocious tackling is no surprise!
    That's really interesting..i can see that balanced pose that she has at the contests very judo like...she's going to be a gun

Meg your post on Cynthia's judo background made me take a look at all the player profiles and I noticed one of our high draft picks Montana Beruldson was injured and didn't play this year.
    She has a top class pedigree in athletics with hurdles and heptathlon, which could translate well with not only the physical aspects, but with the application to improve quickly in a relatively new sport for her. A top class athlete with a combination of strength, fitness and agility.
    Will be interesting to see her debut next year.

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    Meg your post on Cynthia's judo background made me take a look at all the player profiles and I noticed one of our high draft picks Montana Beruldson was injured and didn't play this year.
    She has a top class pedigree in athletics with hurdles and heptathlon, which could translate well with not only the physical aspects, but with the application to improve quickly in a relatively new sport for her. A top class athlete with a combination of strength, fitness and agility.
    Will be interesting to see her debut next year.
    It's a bit misleading to call Beruldsen one of our high draft picks. While it is literally true, it was not a reflection of how she would have been ranked among draft prospects. She's really the equivalent of a Cat B rookie and I think a real chance of being delisted without ever debuting.

Cynthia on the other hand is a gun and I think she'll be around for a long time to come and a great chance to be a future captain of the club.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Gowans summing up our first season:

‘Eighteen of Sydney's active squad of 30 had not previously featured at AFLW level, and Gowans is confident they've uncovered some gems, while some senior players will thrive as standards lift around them.

"I think Lauren Szigeti was amazing, as was Paige Sheppard. Then you've got the young ones, Mon Ham and Sofia Hurley, Cynthia Hamilton's going to be a superstar," he said.’

https://www.womens.afl/news/113231?_...265.1667055836

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123