Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFLW Round 10: Sydney Swans v Geelong 5.10pm AEDT Sat 29 Oct 2022 GMHBA Stadium

AFLW Round 10: Sydney Swans v Geelong 5.10pm AEDT Sat 29 Oct 2022 GMHBA Stadium

This is the final match this season for our Swans women in their first year of AFLW competition.

It will be a tough game for Sydney with Geelong sitting in seventh place on the ladder (six wins) and the Swans yet to win a match.

We will be without Montana Ham who is about to commence her Year 12 exams. While she is a big loss this could be an opportunity for another player to impress, with list spots for 2023 on the line in the near future.

The Swans have played more effectively in recent weeks with short kicks and handballs running forward, rather than the panicked, hail-Mary forward kicks of the early matches. They will need to maintain that play tomorrow to keep in touch with a strong Cats’ line-up.

AFLW ‘experts’ unanimously tip a Geelong win which is an accurate assessment of the current stage of development of the two teams. I will be satisfied however if our Swans finish the season with a game that shows their improvement over the year and their potential for the future.

The game will be broadcast live on Fox Footy and Kayo and on 7Mate in NSW and Qld.

Postscript: This article includes some interesting detail about how Montana Ham has managed to combine her schooling in Melbourne with playing for the Sydney Swans this year. She is an impressive and mature teenager!

https://www.womens.afl/news/111826

I went and checked out the players training this week. I was impressed at the good morale on display from all involved. Especially so when you consider that this is their last week for the season and most of them don't yet know whether they will be recontracted, don't know when they'll find out, and don't know when the next season begins. Plus, most of them are from interstate and will have to decide whether to return home (potentially given up jobs they've found here etc). Such an awkward situation for them!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Teams now announced.

Swans have omitted Zoe Hurrell and Kiara Beesley while Montana Ham will miss due to study commitments. Genevieve Lawson Tavan, Sarah Skinner and Eliza Vale come into the team.

SYDNEY

B: Bella Smith 11 Brenna Tarrant 20
    HB: Alana Woodward 13 Genevieve Lawson Tavan 24 Ella Heads 12
    C: Aliesha Newman 16 Lauren Szigeti 28 Molly Eastman 9
    HF: Rebecca Privitelli 19 Brooke Lochland 1 Sarah Dargan 5
    F: Alexia Hamilton 30 Cynthia Hamilton 10
    Foll: Ally Morphett 7 Bridie Kennedy 2 Maddy Collier 14
    I/C: Ruby Sargant-Wilson 6 Sarah Skinner 15 Eliza Vale 23 Sofia Hurley 25 Paige Sheppard 4

Emerg: Kiara Beesley 26 Tiarne Cavanagh 27 Sarah Ford 3

In: Genevieve Lawson Tavan, Sarah Skinner, Eliza Vale
    Out: Montana Ham (Personal Reason), Zoe Hurrell (Omitted), Kiara Beesley (Omitted)

GEELONG

B: C.Gunjaca 26 A.Johnson 2
    HB: C.Emonson 16 M.McDonald - C 11 G.Rankin 10
    C: M.Bowen 1 G.Prespakis 41 N.Morrison 9
    HF: D.Moloney 4 J.Parry 5 S.Scott 15
    F: C.Scheer 14 K.Darby 8
    Foll: O.Fuller 13 R.Webster 21 A.McDonald 3

I/C: Z.Friswell 20 L.Gardiner 18 R.Kearns 22 J.Crockett-Grills 6 M.Keryk 45

Emerg: M.Bragg 44 A.McDonald 39 B.Plummer 19

In: None
    Out: None

Veterans List
    A warning for those going to the game, Geelong are starting their premiership cup tour at the game.

AFLW Round 10: Sydney Swans v Geelong 5.10pm AEDT Sat 29 Oct 2022 GMHBA Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    A warning for those going to the game, Geelong are starting their premiership cup tour at the game.
    Groan ... I suppose it should mean a large (pro-Cats) crowd. Tough for our women (who were at the GF and suffered through that loss) but nevertheless a good learning experience of playing in front of a large opposition crowd.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Groan ... I suppose it should mean a large (pro-Cats) crowd. Tough for our women (who were at the GF and suffered through that loss) but nevertheless a good learning experience of playing in front of a large opposition crowd.
    I had a go at my brother and asked why they had to rub it in and do this against the Swans? He replied it was because it's the first time the women have played at GMHBA since the GF. So that's fair enough but we can still be annoyed 😛.

And to make things worse I'm watching the Victoria Derby telecast and our great mate Eddie McGuire is hosting!!!

Veterans List
    HTB adjudication in the AFLW is even worse than the men's.

Veterans List
    Great mark by Hamilton to set up our first goal to Privitelli.

And great mark to Morphett for our second goal.

Good fight back after Geelong kicked the first 4 goals.

Sounds like a good swans crowd there.

Some good Swans play in first quarter after it looked like we would be blown away by Cats fast start. Bad memories ...

Ally Morphett is going to be a real star!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Great mark by Hamilton to set up our first goal to Privitelli.

And great mark to Morphett for our second goal.

Good fight back after Geelong kicked the first 4 goals.

Sounds like a good swans crowd there.
    I do like Morphett. Her clearance work from the ruck is very good and now she seems to be more of a marking threat as well.

Unfortunately we did get blown away in second quarter. Very impressive by Cats though, they are now up by 46 points ....

Very impressive game by the Geelong women, thumping win by 75 points.

Swans showed some passages of good play at end of first quarter and again in the last. Plenty to aspire to for next season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast