Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Made me sad to hear Roos say people like Kenny who have been around clubs for decades giving their heart and soul, are becoming are a dying breed. They all individually have wonderful stories reflecting the history of their clubs.

Hope that is not the case and a new generation will take on the baton. As many have posted, they are the essence of footy clubs which help keeps them grounded and connected to their supporter base, particularly as the game becomes increasingly professional.
    This is bound to happen when the AFL excludes fans from fraternising with the players in a spontaneous way.

I grew up at a time when you could go into the rooms after a game, when you could run into the field at the end of a game and get autographs, when you could attend training without obstruction of any kind (as long as you stayed off the ground until training was over). And it was magic.

The interaction between players and fans has become so managed, so sanitised, that it is hard to imagine another Kenny emerging.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post

I grew up at a time when you could go into the rooms after a game, when you could run into the field at the end of a game and get autographs, when you could attend training without obstruction of any kind (as long as you stayed off the ground until training was over). And it was magic.

The interaction between players and fans has become so managed, so sanitised, that it is hard to imagine another Kenny emerging.
    Yes, those days were indeed magical! And "youngsters" would be shocked to know that not only could you run onto the ground when the game was over to get autographs, you could jump over the fence BEFORE the game was over to get ready to do so!

Definitely difficult to see another Kenny emerging. I stand to be corrected but I can't think of any other club that has recognised and incorporated the influence of a supporter as much as the Swans did with Kenny. (I know Collingwood had Joffa but the less said about that, the better.)

The vision after the 2012 GF that was posted previously in this thread said it all. Amid the euphoria of a magnificent victory, everyone in those clubrooms waited patiently for Kenny to have his say and lead the singing of the club song. A Bloods legend!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post

Definitely difficult to see another Kenny emerging. I stand to be corrected but I can't think of any other club that has recognised and incorporated the influence of a supporter as much as the Swans did with Kenny. (I know Collingwood had Joffa but the less said about that, the better.)

The vision after the 2012 GF that was posted previously in this thread said it all. Amid the euphoria of a magnificent victory, everyone in those clubrooms waited patiently for Kenny to have his say and lead the singing of the club song. A Bloods legend!
    It's not often when a supporter passes away that it is reported in the news, both online and on tv. That's how recognised he was.

Senior Player

The Guardian has just published a nice article about Kenny, written by Joe Moore: who many people will know through his past contributions to this site.
    Vale Kenny Williams – Swans’ song leader and Blood brother to all | Sydney Swans | The Guardian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123