Thread: Vale John Payne

Vale John Payne

The Sydney Swans are mourning the loss of dear friend, longtime team manager John Payne, who died on Sunday just one week shy of his 77th birthday.

The tributes on the Swans website are moving and extensive

Vale John Payne

For me John was an incredibly generous gentleman and my thoughts go to his family during this difficult time

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    The Sydney Swans are mourning the loss of dear friend, longtime team manager John Payne, who died on Sunday just one week shy of his 77th birthday.

The tributes on the Swans website are moving and extensive

Vale John Payne

For me John was an incredibly generous gentleman and my thoughts go to his family during this difficult time
    Two legends of our Club off the field departing so close together. I don't know as much about John's story, but you can tell from the heartfelt tributes on the Swans website just how integral he has been to the club for a long time. And certainly a face we all remember seeing on the bench for many years (even if the name isn't as instantly familiar to all as Kenny is).

RIP John and thankyou.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    We lose another of the unsung heroes of our club. People like John are for the large part unseen by the fan base but are a vital cog in what makes footy clubs operate, in John's case a significant period of his life dedicated to our success.

The tributes show how much he was loved and appreciated within the club. Vale John

Veterans List
    The tributes for John show how valued he was.

I remember listening to the podcast he did with Sinclair either last year or the year before. He treated all players the same. He recalled how Barry Hall was usually late for the bus. During an interstate trip, (I think it was Perth), Hall was warned not to be late. And of course he was late, and the bus left for the airport without him!

His loyalty to the Swans even came before family. He missed the wedding of one his children because the Swans were playing!