Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Preseason

Lol

Maaan I have to check my phone forum messages

Ooopsala

I watched Flynn and Jezza from GWS run 12 mins for 3km at the GWS Academy at 17/18yrs of age

Ie terrible stat's yet both play a fair bit of snrs now ie Jezza being Jeremy Finlayson

I watched Jezza say to Mark McVeigh "mate anyone else want to ruck this guy" when at the Academy.......Jezza gave up against a muscle bound bound 17yr old ruck 194cm tall ie same height as Jezza and couldn't hack it and walked off

Moral of the story:

Wow what we witness at 17 and 18yrs of age can be very different a few years later

Senior Player
    Thanks bloodspirit - I logged onto this site in the hope/expectation that you'd post that very report. Perfect; thanks!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks blood spirit - exceptional reporting!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I was interested and slightly surprised to notice that the fastest time was over 6:15 for 2 km, which is slower than the fast draftees go at the combine and slower than I reckon Dyl would have run back when he did the combine. I rationalise it this way: since running was always his strength (and still is) Dyl (and probably other elite running draftees) focus on building up their strength, and they stack on some weight, and so it is harder to maintain their elite running times. Is one of you well placed to comment?
    I'm not well placed to comment but this is the Internet so I will add my 2 cents anyway.

Firstly, I think you are spot on with your rationale - Stephens et all will have focused more on adding muscle and strength rather than a 2km time. In addition to this, the draftees spend probably a month purely training for the athletic testing of the combine. I don't think they even do handball/kicking tests anymore. Meanwhile, AFL players have a decent break with some maintenance fitness being done. Although, they are really fit right now, they are not at their peak fitness in the first session back. I reckon Dyl would run quicker in February if they were to do the time trial again but that's not the point of it I suppose.

Great report - thanks Bloodspirit.

Though maybe a little harsh on Francis :P sounds like he will have to get his head down and working hard, but I'm sure he probably expected that anyway. Hope our club can change his luck and his fortune, as there is definitely a good footballer lurking in there somewhere!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I'm not well placed to comment but this is the Internet so I will add my 2 cents anyway.

Firstly, I think you are spot on with your rationale - Stephens et all will have focused more on adding muscle and strength rather than a 2km time. In addition to this, the draftees spend probably a month purely training for the athletic testing of the combine. I don't think they even do handball/kicking tests anymore. Meanwhile, AFL players have a decent break with some maintenance fitness being done. Although, they are really fit right now, they are not at their peak fitness in the first session back. I reckon Dyl would run quicker in February if they were to do the time trial again but that's not the point of it I suppose.
    Thanks for that. Game to venture a comment on Parker and Roberts' relatively slow time trials?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Thanks for that. Game to venture a comment on Parker and Roberts' relatively slow time trials?
    Again, I think you would be largely correct in that the time trial has an element of speed to it. It doesn’t give a complete indication of fitness. I suspect that the club uses it as a benchmark for each player to see how much fitness they have gained or lost and the times are measured against their previous efforts rather than against each other. As the training continued for a fair time after the time trial, if Roberts and Parker are still training hard towards the end, then I would suggest that they are fit enough to get from contest to contest as an inside mid but just don’t have the speed and power to break away from those contests.

Veterans List
    How much should we take notice of 2km time trials? 6.15 minutes was our best. In the HUN yesterday there was a spread on Richmond pre season and I think it was Taranto who won and recorded 6.13 minutes!

All with all skills, fitness, traits etc the 2km is "part of the picture"

Like the YoYo or beep test
    Like the 20m sprint
    Like the vertical jump

As we all know just because u move from contest to contest efficiently doesn't mean you have the most impact at a contest......Luke Parker is such a great example of someone who doesn't show up on the radar of probably any fitness test but creates havoc at a contest.

Power and tenacity

I'm guessing Diesel would have been the same....... game day contests these guys devour Like lemon meringue pies 🥧 😋 👌

So maybe let's not sweat on Matty Roberts' performances in time trials and the like? If continues to get around the ground, get the ball and use the ball well (as he generally does in the VFL) then that's what counts?

Or is it telling that he didn't make a smooth transition to senior level (even though there could be a lot of other reasons for that)? Perhaps his superior fitness is what has allowed Errol to thrive at senior level since the beginning. Incidentally, he's going from strength to strength. I reckon his time trials have improved since he joined the club rather than stagnated or gone backwards because he had to focus on stacking on size.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    So maybe let's not sweat on Matty Roberts' performances in time trials and the like? If continues to get around the ground, get the ball and use the ball well (as he generally does in the VFL) then that's what counts?

Or is it telling that he didn't make a smooth transition to senior level (even though there could be a lot of other reasons for that)? Perhaps his superior fitness is what has allowed Errol to thrive at senior level since the beginning. Incidentally, he's going from strength to strength. I reckon his time trials have improved since he joined the club rather than stagnated or gone backwards because he had to focus on stacking on size.
    Like Roberts, McInerney and Warner were given an early taste of seniors and looked all at sea. The following year told a very different story.

And Ronke popped in for his first game of smrs and kicked 7 goals

B Jack 4 goals

Where now? 🙄

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast