Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Preseason

Veterans List
    I think Ronke's 7 were in his third senior game.....still a great effort.

I went Wednesday morning around 945am. It was already fully going. It was a ball movement drill using the full field with full teams except the attacking team had 2 extra players. Each team would take turns moving the ball from their goal to the other goal. It is interesting because at the start of preseason, you don't often see something structurally similar to a full sided game.

Then they did 3 x 1km runs of the oval with rest in between. They were running in groups of 6. Corey Warner seem to do Ok with this distance. He was able to keep up with Fox, Stephens and Gulden. Also P. McCartin is a good runner over this distance. He was in one of the first few groups and always finished way ahead of the rest of them.

They then seem to split up into positional groups. Florent seemed to be with the defenders. Sheather, Sheldrick and Magor seemed to be with the forwards. Gulden, Heeney, Corey Warner, Campbell, Roberts, Mitchell, Mcinerney were with the mids.

On the far side, the backs/forwards were doing 2 vs 2 contests to a long high kick. Mids were near the eastern boundary. The mids in two groups were doing 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 to ruck taps for ball ups and boundary throw ins. Owens and McAndrew were tapping for one group. And Ladhams and Hickey for the other group.

They then did other less structured stuff within their groups. Most of the mids were rolling ground balls to each other. Papley, Magor and Konstanty were practicing picking up a rolling ball and snapping for goal.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks SM. Very good news to see that Sheather was participating.

Love these training reports. Thanks Sean!

It is just one session so I can't read too much into it. But I found the positional groups interesting.

- Florent (defenders) - a year ago would have been with the mids. So probably going to start the season in the backline.
    - Sheldrick (forwards) - few of us thought he might start to move into the mids. But maybe his best chance of breaking into seniors is initially as a small forward.
    - Magor (forwards) - from draft profiles is able to play as mid or forward. At the end of the session when he was picking up loose balls and snapping for goal. he looked quite natural with his goal kicking. Though slight build so longer term prospect.
    - Corey Warner (mids) - last preseason was training with the forwards. Bulked up a little bit and one of the better endurance runners at the club. Might be gradually starting to develop him as a mid. In the 2v2 ruck taps he was often against Chad.
    - Heeney (mids) - I assume he will still be mainly forward line with occasional stints in the mids. Just think he gets more benefit working on his midfield game.
    - Campbell (mids) - Hard to predict his position because he can play anywhere.
    - Mitchell (mids) - according to his profile he has played inside mid and wing. He won a few balls from rucks taps, is reasonably big and is a good endurance runner. Obviously raw but longer term might play both inside mid and wing.
    - Stephens/Gulden/Mcinerney (mids) - presumably will be our wingers in our best 22. Interestingly Gulden and Stephens are our best endurance runners (along with Fox).
    Last edited by SeanM; 7th December 2022 at 09:04 PM.

Great reports, SeanM! Thanks.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Great reports, Sean - appreciate the effort.

Veterans List
    Keep those training reports coming in folks. Those of us stuck in other states really appreciate the effort to get along and observe, and to then take the time to write a report, thanks all

Luke is not getting any younger. Did Rampe win this one? No. In fact he won most of the time trials when he was at his peak. But he too is now back toward the ten spot. Luke was rarely top 5. Roberts I know not. He went on a trip to Europe. Maybe he got used to French, Italian & Spanish cooking? Who knows. He might have let his fitness regime go while back in Adelaide. Who was it that went home and came back a little out of fitness? That's right, George Hewett came back in his second year well underdone. He was put through the mill with extra drills and much more to get him up to speed. I think that put his development back one year. Roberts did not do well last year either. I'm wondering if he is one of those lackadaisical trainers. I know Peter 'Super' Carey at Glenelg was that. Terrible until the balls came out then it was all in effort. Super running for a ruck. He never won any time trial, never won the 10 k either, always last. But ghe moment you stuck a ball under his nose it was on.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    It is just one session so I can't read too much into it. But I found the positional groups interesting.

- Florent (defenders) - a year ago would have been with the mids. So probably going to start the season in the backline.
    - Sheldrick (forwards) - few of us thought he might start to move into the mids. But maybe his best chance of breaking into seniors is initially as a small forward.
    - Magor (forwards) - from draft profiles is able to play as mid or forward. At the end of the session when he was picking up loose balls and snapping for goal. he looked quite natural with his goal kicking. Though slight build so longer term prospect.
    - Corey Warner (mids) - last preseason was training with the forwards. Bulked up a little bit and one of the better endurance runners at the club. Might be gradually starting to develop him as a mid. In the 2v2 ruck taps he was often against Chad.
    - Heeney (mids) - I assume he will still be mainly forward line with occasional stints in the mids. Just think he gets more benefit working on his midfield game.
    - Campbell (mids) - Hard to predict his position because he can play anywhere.
    - Mitchell (mids) - according to his profile he has played inside mid and wing. He won a few balls from rucks taps, is reasonably big and is a good endurance runner. Obviously raw but longer term might play both inside mid and wing.
    - Stephens/Gulden/Mcinerney (mids) - presumably will be our wingers in our best 22. Interestingly Gulden and Stephens are our best endurance runners (along with Fox).
    Last season, Gulden was already in the mids playing inside and wing. I presume he will do both once again

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the efforts of you and Bloodspirit to get to the training are wonderful. I love hearing how the boys are going. I live in Viet and about to move back to Laos. It is dry season here so the weather is a little cooler. There will be plenty of footy played in the dry. I hope so anyway

Walked past on Friday morning around 10am and watched for around 30 mins

They had marked out a smaller oval with cones, split the players into 3 teams and did a round robin of 12 vs 12. It was just each team getting a chance to move the ball from their goal to the other team's goal.

They then did something similar using the full sized oval with just two teams. It could have been 14 vs 12 so the attacking side had more numbers. But it was interesting that they are doing stuff structurally similar to a full game early in the preseason. Maybe because this side has been together for a while. Though I also feel it is good for the draftees to get early experience of a structure closer to a proper match rather than just do drills.

I also saw Kinnear Beatson watching the session from the boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Walked past on Friday morning around 10am and watched for around 30 mins

They had marked out a smaller oval with cones, split the players into 3 teams and did a round robin of 12 vs 12. It was just each team getting a chance to move the ball from their goal to the other team's goal.

They then did something similar using the full sized oval with just two teams. It could have been 14 vs 12 so the attacking side had more numbers. But it was interesting that they are doing stuff structurally similar to a full game early in the preseason. Maybe because this side has been together for a while. Though I also feel it is good for the draftees to get early experience of a structure closer to a proper match rather than just do drills.

I also saw Kinnear Beatson watching the session from the boundary.
    Great report! A rare KB spotting! I would have tried to get in his ear.

I agree it is conspicuous how early they are going to game simulation type training.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast