Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 26

Thread: 2023 Preseason

  1. #1

    2023 Preseason

    Bloods05, you can still attend training without any obstruction in Sydney. [At least I can't think of what obstruction you might have in mind. There is a fence around the oval?]
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  2. #2
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    15,672
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Bloods05, you can still attend training without any obstruction in Sydney. [At least I can't think of what obstruction you might have in mind. There is a fence around the oval?]
    That's only during pre-season. Once they relocate inside the SCG during the season, you can no longer go and watch.

    I remember back at the very start of the century they used to just through the main Driver Avenue doors open and anyone could just wander in to watch training. Then, when the world became far more security conscious after a handful of planes crashed into US buildings, you had to enter through the stadium admin office situated in the carpark and you had to sign in.

    I'm not sure when access was cut-off entirely as I lost my free time shortly afterwards and so didn't contemplate going to watch. But I realised it was no longer an option during later brief periods of leisure.

  3. #3
    These days they usually train on Lakeside/Tramway Oval - in season as well as pre-season - and anyone can watch. It's rare that they train on the SCG. The same goes for the AFLW team.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  4. #4

    2023 Preseason

    Decided to start Preseason thread and post podcast link of John Longmire's 15 min interview with Gerard Healy and Brad Johnson last evening on SEN. Covered GF loss, preseason training, Aaron Francis, Buddy's broken finger, rule changes, Kenny Wiliams/John Payne tributes & more.... Wide ranging interview.

    https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1057400

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Decided to start Preseason thread and post podcast link of John Longmire's 15 min interview with Gerard Healy and Brad Johnson last evening on SEN. Covered GF loss, preseason training, Aaron Francis, Buddy's broken finger, rule changes, Kenny Wiliams/John Payne tributes & more.... Wide ranging interview.

    https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1057400
    Thanks for posting the link, KSAS. Much appreciated. I did not know about Buddy's issue till now.

  6. #6
    Same here!

  7. #7
    Love it. Thanks for sharing, especially at this time of year when there's not much going on. We have a great coaching group and don't think we should take it for granted. There's quite a few teams who have a lot of pain in this area.

  8. #8
    Junior players return 28 November, seniors 5 December. I reckon the new draftees could show up as early as 30 November.

  9. #9
    In the interview, Longmire is of the opinion players require 2 practice games to get them ready for R1 otherwise they are at higher risk of sustaining injury due to the increased intensity, He hopes the additional "magic round" doesn't reduce the preseason to just one practice match (not including the intra club matches).

  10. #10
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Northern Beaches
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    These days they usually train on Lakeside/Tramway Oval - in season as well as pre-season - and anyone can watch. It's rare that they train on the SCG. The same goes for the AFLW team.
    I dont think this is quite right. Most inseason training is on the SCG and closed.
    Like Liz, I used to go to scg training a lot and had easy access, but no more.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I dont think this is quite right. Most inseason training is on the SCG and closed.
    Like Liz, I used to go to scg training a lot and had easy access, but no more.

    I think yours and liz's information was no doubt accurate but is no out of date. I have attended in-season training sessions this in recent seasons and they have been at Lakeside.

    For example, here are some galleries for training sessions this year:

    Preparing to play NMFC Round 4: Swans prepare for North Melbourne - April 5, 2022 (sydneyswans.com.au)
    Preparing for Essendon, R8: Gallery: Swans prepare for Essendon (sydneyswans.com.au)
    Preparing for St Kilda, R15: Gallery: Swans prepare for St Kilda (sydneyswans.com.au)
    Preparing for Fremantle, R18: Swans prepare for Fremantle (12.07.2022) (sydneyswans.com.au)
    Preparing for R23 (St Kilda again): GALLERY: Swans charging into Round 23 (sydneyswans.com.au)

    In each of these you can see the training is happening at Lakeside Oval. Of course we do train on the SCG occasionally too, but it is the exception not the rule.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  12. #12
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Northern Beaches
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think yours and liz's information was no doubt accurate but is no out of date. I have attended in-season training sessions this in recent seasons and they have been at Lakeside. For example, here are some galleries for training sessions this year:Preparing to play NMFC Round 4: Swans prepare for North Melbourne - April 5, 2022 (sydneyswans.com.au)Preparing for Essendon, R8: Gallery: Swans prepare for Essendon (sydneyswans.com.au)Preparing for St Kilda, R15: Gallery: Swans prepare for St Kilda (sydneyswans.com.au)Preparing for Fremantle, R18: Swans prepare for Fremantle (12.07.2022) (sydneyswans.com.au)Preparing for R23 (St Kilda again): GALLERY: Swans charging into Round 23 (sydneyswans.com.au)In each of these you can see the training is happening at Lakeside Oval. Of course we do train on the SCG occasionally too, but it is the exception not the rule.
    Wow, nothing would make me happier than for my info to be out of date. I loved attending training.I'll be calling the office during the season more now to get confirmation of where and when.Thanks for the info, bloodspirit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO