Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Sean , Bloodspirit, thanks both for the reports from the training. Could you add some of the players you can identify during some of these training exercises who are impressive or not so good, if it's no trouble. Also I notice from the few club videos that the squad are training on the SCG. Also, have you both been into the incredible Hall of Industry where the Swans have their HQ and where players must be heading after training. Just wondering if you can get in and what it's like, to the naked RWO follower. Thanks
    No I have not been to the new HQ. I have just seen them train on tramway oval in front of the SCG which is usually monday, wednesday or Friday mornings.

On Friday morning I got there at 9.30am and training was well underway. There had been heavy rain a bit earlier. But for most of the session it was intermittent light rain which created slippery conditions at times.

- First drill I saw was a 5 vs 5 handball drill in a tight narrow corridor. One team had to handball through the other team in a congested space. There was tackling and physical contact equivalent to contested football in a pack of players. And usually the attacking team would fail to be able to handball through.

- Next was about 25minutes of a match sim. I think it was maybe 17 vs 16(?) on the full oval and closest to a proper match that I had seen so far this preseason. There was tackling and moderate physical contact. And the coaches would try to let it flow. They swapped at half time to give both teams a opportunity to have an extra player. It was fairly free flowing. The extra man and the openness of the full oval encouraged the attacking team to move the ball to space, keep possession with shorter passes and use running players when they could.

- Then another handball drill. 4 attackers handballing past 3 opposing players in a narrow corridor. Though there was much more space than the earlier handball drill. And the attacking team would easily be able to use their extra number to get through.

- Next drill used most of the full length and width of the oval. 7 attacking players would move the ball past 5 opposing players. The attacking players started off in 3 wide lanes so it encouraged them to use long diagonal kicks and the width of the oval. But they could also run with the ball and handball their way through.

- Next was 15 vs 12 using the full oval. But more similar to a drill than a match sim. The attacking team would start from a stoppage or loose ball in their defensive half. And then move the ball upfield till they kicked a goal. Then the coaches would reset and start the drill again. So this was more stop start than the earlier 25 minutes match sim.

- When I left a bit after 11am, training was still going and they had started to do some running in groups.
    Last edited by SeanM; 21st January 2023 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks Sean

Anyone else looking like they are taking a step ahead in their development / skills / intensity?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Just wondering if you can get in and what it's like, to the naked RWO follower. Thanks
    My mind is goggling at the thought of the new Swans trading facility besieged by hoards of naked RWO followers. With all due respect - it's not the prettiest image.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 22nd January 2023 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Almost? Who else to you rate?
    The only other pundit worth reading is Titus O’Reily.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Thanks Sean

Anyone else looking like they are taking a step ahead in their development / skills / intensity?
    I find it hard to make judgements on players based on training. I just have superficial observations. I don't think any of the new draftees will debut early.

* Konstanty - Mainly seen him this year. Seems to have settled into training as initially it can be a step up. Last Monday was able to get a few possessions in the match sim. From watching him in drills seems quite light on his feet. And he has quick flat kicks and handpasses.
    * Vickery - Not seen a lot of him. Slight build so probably longer term prospect. Seems to start deeper in defence and run forward in support rather than at half back. Strength seems to be keeping possession in defence with his short kicking. I often see him repeatedly practice 20m precise kicks.
    * Mitchell - You often see 1st year mids being overawed training with the senior mids and stand back a bit. But Mitchell seemed immediately comfortable. I have seen him put a light fend into a senior mids chest to give himself space. And get really involved in a central position in a handball possession drill. Already a good runner, tall and has the frame to put on size. I think he might get a taste of AFL football later in the season. On Friday he played on the wing but seems like he has got good hands so may play partially inside longer term.
    * Edwards - I have not watched the defenders that closely so not seen a lot of him. Seeing him up close, he is well built and athletic. So has the build to be a McCartin size defender.
    * Owens - I can't judge rucks. He will obviously be a long term prospect. I agree with Bloodspirit that he looks a surprisingly good field and goalkicker. On Friday he quite easily found free players with longer kicks. My guess he will be a ruck/forward with decent skills, mobility and can float forward rather than a dominant tap ruck.
    * Magor - Seems more comfortable as a medium forward than a midfielder. Don't think he is going to be as an athletic forward as Hayward or buzz around like Papley. Probably will be a smart medium forward with clean hands, good skills and an instinctive shot at goal. Still think he is a long term prospect though looks a talented player for such a late rookie pick.

Of the inexperienced guys from last years reserves

* I think Warner will probably debut early in the season. Still plays on the wing but probably has versatility. Bulked up, good runner, composed in possession and seems quite driven. Interesting to see how he handles the step up if he gets a chance in the trial games.
    * Sheldrick - Not watched him too closely. Initially was training with the forwards but saw him recently train with the mids. So unsure whether he is aiming to be the next inside midfielder to come in or compete for the small forward spot with Wicks and Clarke.
    * Roberts - Not flashy. But still seen him regularly do good things. I guess he will keep developing into a solid midfield backup.
    * Gould - Not watched the defenders closely so can't judge his defensive skills. He does have a lean build closer to someone like Rampe. So I feel he will be more of a medium defender than in the McCartin/McLean weight class. Obviously has a long attacking kick. But can turn it over trying an overambitious kick so may need to balance that at AFL level.
    * Hall Kahan - Was one of the talented reserve performers last year so interested in how he will do. He has had a delayed start to training and mainly done a lot of running around the boundary. He looks a very quick smooth runner. And looks like he has a precise kick during drills.
    * Rankin - another who has had an interrupted start to preseason. Did see him get a few possession in the match sim on Friday. Seemed to be playing on the flank in various positions.
    * McAndrew - I can't judge his ruckwork. He is really tall, well built and mobile for his size. I assume he will keep working on his skills.
    * Sheather - Seems to be training with the forwards. I have not seen much of him.
    Last edited by SeanM; 22nd January 2023 at 11:04 PM.

Senior Player
    Great stuff Sean : )

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Many thanks Sean

Very much appreciated

It is tricky to watch so many players and get a sense of their development. I must say the few times I ever dropped in last season it takes a bit just to easily identify every player at a distance.

Especially when there are some serious senior players dominating and us supporters not knowing straight away if a player like say Konstanty is simply given the instruction to play a run with and or hard tag in a game sim drill.

Senior Player
    Great work, Sean; thanks so much.

Thank you Sean, very illuminating.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    aaaaand SeanM, that's a big thumbs up from me well

I'm joining the long queue too. Thanks Sean! Your comments are insightful and considered.