Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Preseason

Got there Monday after 9.30am and training would have been going for a while.

-At the beginning I saw Reid, Franklin and Hickey doing stuff on one side of the oval. Reid and Franklin stayed longer running and kicking the ball to each other. Melican was in the main group and seemed to do almost all of the session. Hall Kahan and Rankin were also in the main group now rather than doing constant running around the oval.

- They were doing a drill when I got there. Split up into 3 teams and split the oval in 2 lengthwise. Team A attacks against team B and once they score a goal. Team C starts attacking the other way on the adjacent oval against team A. Then once they have scored, team B starts attacking on adjacent oval against team C. They did a very similar drill last week. But today they allowed a lot of time for the defending team to get into position. So it seemed less about counter attacking against an exposed opponent trying to get back into position.

- Then set up on 4 corners of a large square and did a simple long kicking drill. Players would just have to kick and then run to the adjacent corner.

- Next split up into 3 teams and played 3 games of round robin 12 vs 12 on a reduced sized oval. Konstanty got a big cheer from the players for a defensive effort. He made an initial tackle on a player to force a rushed disposal. Then got up and chased and dragged down the next player catching him holding the ball. Also saw Florent go for a few runs from defence and use the ball well with short passes. Also saw Hayward's athleticism with his pace and leap. He was able to intercept a few kicks in the forward line and get into space to take marks.

- Next after a small amount of running. They split between mids and fwds/defenders. Mids were doing some kind of 7vs7 game originating out of stoppage. I went over to the Northern goal to watch the fwds/defenders. They were doing 3 vs 3 contests. There would be a long high kick to 2 talls competing in the goal square with 4 smalls/mediums running in to crumb. Each group got to face 3 consecutive aerial contests so they had to reset quickly. Watching up close I appreciated having a key defender like T.McCartin. He was was able to use his bodywork and reading the flight of the ball to regularly take clean contested marks above his head. So often there was not a crumbing opportunity for his opponents.

- Rest of the session seemed fairly light and easygoing. A few players had to do a few pushups and have shots at goal from 30m directly in front. Then rotated through 3 skill stations. (A handball game handpassing between poles, picking up a loose ball under pressure and a kicking drill.) Then they did a simple ball movement drill moving it from a goal kick-in to the opposite goal. When I left around 11am the players were starting to do their own unstructured stuff.
    Last edited by SeanM; 24th January 2023 at 12:15 AM.

Veterans List
    Thanks again SeanM, cheers

Veterans List
    Practice games organised by the clubs, no dates yet

Brisbane will face Sydney at Tramway Oval outside the SCG and is then expected to host a practice match at the Lions' new base the following week.

Heard on the radio today that Brisbane will play a scratch against Sydney, then they will have a practice match against Geelong in Brisbane maybe at their new base.
    I don't know who Sydney is playing, probably GWS as per usual.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Heard on the radio today that Brisbane will play a scratch against Sydney, then they will have a practice match against Geelong in Brisbane maybe at their new base.
    I don't know who Sydney is playing, probably GWS as per usual.
    On Big Footy it was mentioned that Heeney said in an interview that we are playing Carlton in a pre season game.

Zero hanger reports that it'll be Carlton Tbc march 2 to march 5

- - - Updated - - -

I can't trust myself to post the link and not crash this forum. What's the trick to posting the link

Fwiw we are the 5th youngest team going into 2023. Younger than Norf. Hopefully a lot of growth to come.

What does the average age of your AFL team tell us about its chances of success in 2023?

And rumoured to play the BLions twice

AFL teams by average age in 2023

Geelong – 25.5 years
    Western Bulldogs – 25.4 years
    Brisbane – 25.1 years
    Richmond – 25.1 years
    Melbourne – 25.1 years
    Collingwood – 25.0 years
    Gold Coast – 24.8 years
    Carlton – 24.7 years
    West Coast – 24.5 years
    St Kilda – 24.4 years
    Port Adelaide – 24.4 years
    GWS – 24.2 years
    North Melbourne 24.1 years
    Sydney – 24.1 years
    Fremantle – 24.0 years
    Essendon – 23.9 years
    Adelaide – 23.8 years
    Hawthorn – 23.1 years

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I think by "team" the author means "squad" - which I'd think would differ considerably from the average age of the 23 that the club would most likely wish to have represent it each week.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Those stats are for the whole list not the 22/23 you put on the park each week.

If it's the playing team, Geelong would go up even further, we would go up if Buddy is playing by half a year.

I think we all know that we are amongst the youngest lists, hopefully a lot of growth still to come.

Anyone going to the internal trial game tomorrow? If so could you do a comparison of the players trying to get into the "up for grab spots" For example,
    Stephens and Campbell.
    Clarke, Wicks, Konstanty and Sheldrick.
    McLean, Armarty and Reid.

Thanks

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Anyone going to the internal trial game tomorrow? If so could you do a comparison of the players trying to get into the "up for grab spots" For example,
    Stephens and Campbell.
    Clarke, Wicks, Konstanty and Sheldrick.
    McLean, Armarty and Reid.

Thanks
    One would have to be aware that there is an internal trial game planned tomorrow...do you have any further details (eg start time)?

As an aside, I think it's unlikely either Reid or Armarty will participate given recent reports of interruptions to their pre-seasons (or non-start of a preseason in the case of Reid).