Page 165 of 325 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,969 to 1,980 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Quote Originally Posted by 0918330512 View Post
    Carro Wilson suggested Dusty Martin maybe to Sydney as all his friends are leaving Richmond
    Yes, Carro appeared to have mentioned Dusty as an afterthought without clarifying if it was just her hunch or from a source. Kane Cornes also mentioned on FC last night that we are up to our eyeballs in trying to get Grundy.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Crouch has just signed a two year deal with Adelaide.

Good, he’s slow and stodgy, and his manager was clearly always using our name as contract leverage.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Jon Ralph suggesting on the Herald Sun podcast that Sydney is very much the frontrunner for McKay on 800k. Seems a lot but who know what Ralph would really know???

Sensationalism or have we had to pay the piper the right amount of $……so North get what they want also.

I think on the smaller SCG Mackay can go next level and provide the Brian Lake differ for the Hawks in the premiership

Plus on a MCG finals oval he can certainly play that marking FB

If it does happen it makes sense to me…….reason being without another dominant FB that our marks we are unlikely to compete with the best in 2024 on GF day

That would be a real shame given our balance in the team ready to fight for finals

Over paying a player like Mackay who hasn't been proven yet is a massive gamble and not what we need. It has been said by others that we will be under pressure in future years to pay/keep our young core. $800k a year for Mackay not what I would do

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Don’t read too much into the $800K per year. It may well be the first year only to ensure North get the bonus draft pick, and reduce substantially the next season and for the duration of the contract. Clubs do this all the time, and a good example was Jack Martin from the Gold Coast to Carlton which was well publicised at the time.
    I am not sure, but I think the Cameron trade to Geelong was a similar deal

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Don’t read too much into the $800K per year. It may well be the first year only to ensure North get the bonus draft pick, and reduce substantially the next season and for the duration of the contract. Clubs do this all the time, and a good example was Jack Martin from the Gold Coast to Carlton which was well publicised at the time.
    I am not sure, but I think the Cameron trade to Geelong was a similar deal
    Certainly Lions did it with Daniher.

i really hope overpaying Mackay doesnt affect the list management going forward.

Be happy if frontending him gets North what they want, id assume the AFL would be itching to give them an extra low pick

At least we are most likely testing what can be done and if not good value we walk away

Dawson was $650k pa for 5 years and late first round pick in return which was ordinary compensation for us.

North are looking like they will receive significant compensation but not via us.

If we don’t have to give up anything and we can get Mackay on board for a similar per season contract to say Himmelberg approx $750k pa then I feel that is about right versus other options for a key defender that can have immediate window 2024/25 critical impact.

For me a player like Mackay gives us so many options to blunt the oppositions exits and or entries - that is invaluable to be be a serious top4 team and finals team.

If he is taking big marks / intercepts it is so in alignment with our fast rebound footy in attack.

If there is someone better value that can have the same impact - and actually wants to leave their home state…….then we are no doubt looking at that option also…….if it exists ?

Looks like we were not keen on Esava Ratugolea who has requested a trade interstate to Port

Could be very astute move like landing AA over a long term but fairly good value contract for peanuts in exchange.

Port only had two pieces of the puzzle to complete for their 2024 roster and if they pick Grundy and ER then they in a very strong position vs our roster going into 2024 as it stands right now

Port have finished 3rd, 11th, 2nd and 1st on the ladder last 4 years

We have 2 minimum players to nail to be a serious top4 team in 2024 2025 and ironically Port have gone for the two type players are after

Looking forward to the finals and the trade frenzy that follows 😎

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Another area of focus . . . Our hunt for a small forward to be the defensive ying to Pap’s offensive yang.

When Wicks does it well, it’s noticeable and I’ve been prepared to give him more credit than he sometimes deserves (ie stupid brain fades). But if there’s an upgrade available you’d take it. And some of this may depend on the club’s view of Kostanty’s likely trajectory.

So, just noticed Shane McAdam is off to the Dees to accompany Kossie and Chandler in their small forward crew - leaving Charlie Spargo further out in the cold. He was a regular first 22 in their flag year and last year; runs hard as a link player up and down the ground, a la Brad Close from Geelong; and probably has better ball winning instincts than Wicks, while still having the defensive discipline. If he has two weaknesses, it’s his size (though that is less of an issue in his role) and limited kicking range.

Anyway, he’s a NSW boy and would probably come as a low cost option, both in trade and salary costs. Might be worth a sniff.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Does anybody have any interest in Will Brodie from Freo?.. could help our clearance work and wouldn't cost the earth... 25 years old..
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Another area of focus . . . Our hunt for a small forward to be the defensive ying to Pap’s offensive yang.

When Wicks does it well, it’s noticeable and I’ve been prepared to give him more credit than he sometimes deserves (ie stupid brain fades). But if there’s an upgrade available you’d take it. And some of this may depend on the club’s view of Kostanty’s likely trajectory.

So, just noticed Shane McAdam is off to the Dees to accompany Kossie and Chandler in their small forward crew - leaving Charlie Spargo further out in the cold. He was a regular first 22 in their flag year and last year; runs hard as a link player up and down the ground, a la Brad Close from Geelong; and probably has better ball winning instincts than Wicks, while still having the defensive discipline. If he has two weaknesses, it’s his size (though that is less of an issue in his role) and limited kicking range.

Anyway, he’s a NSW boy and would probably come as a low cost option, both in trade and salary costs. Might be worth a sniff.
    Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk