Page 200 of 325 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210250300 ... LastLast
Results 2,389 to 2,400 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Damo' s on the money...

IF ...
    the 2023 season finished with a week one finals loss

THEN ...
    with Brodie Grundy coming on board I’ve got the Swans back in the top four in 2024.

Even if we don't get a key defender or key forward, we have enough on our list as is.

Like William Wallace

Get em Barry

Love the optimism

I suppose that same sense of optimism was there after 2022 season but so much can happen before a finals series starts

Exhibit A - Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Like William Wallace

Get em Barry

Love the optimism

I suppose that same sense of optimism was there after 2022 season but so much can happen before a finals series starts

Exhibit A - Geelong
    Geelong got old. We got injuries.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Damo' s on the money...

IF ...
    the 2023 season finished with a week one finals loss

THEN ...
    with Brodie Grundy coming on board I’ve got the Swans back in the top four in 2024.

Even if we don't get a key defender or key forward, we have enough on our list as is.
    I'm with you Barry but we can't leave it all to Papley when it hits the deck. I reckon 2024 will tell us if Logan is a gun power forward. I thought McInerney was playing his best footy when he got injured and playing in a midfield sense on the wing. Sheldrick looks to be the gun clearance player we are looking for and if Roberts can come on then that's another bonus. I still think we have to look to the future and draft into the back line with one KPD.

I don't think I have seen a player improve so much in a season as a mature player in McLean, since Graeme Teasdale. I know old mate Ludwig would like to see him playing back, but I think he is such a valuable commodity that he should be used as an around the ground follower, and dropping back a kick behind the play as an interceptor, which is essentially what a follower does as part of his repertoire. These blokes don't grow on trees and to have one is incredibly valuable. Glad he re-signed.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Geelong got old. We got injuries.
    They got old but thought they cold keep pinching players from other clubs to perpetuate their top 4 status. However they over rated some of these players. It will be very interesting to see how they regenerate their list to get the % improvement needed to climb back into the 8. Their how ground advantage has dissipated somewhat.

On the injuries: the staggering stat that gets to me is we lost 6 games when we were in front at 3 quarter time. So we won 12, drew one, so if we improved our clutch set shots we could well have won 3 of those games, that puts us in the top 4. Given that we had Mills, Papley, Rampe, Jmac with soft tissue injuries and Paddy gone for the season, in that context we had a darn good season and Barry is right to have confidence for 2024.
    Last edited by Nico; 22nd September 2023 at 03:05 PM.

I’m always confident

But I do feel that my confidence and far off ambition is measured against the other key teams strengthening deficiencies in personnel

We punch above our weight but that doesn’t always mean GF success and or top4.

We have road tested an exciting new forward line of 3 talls. They average a goal a game ie approx 72 goals combined per season.

Curnow kicked 80 goals by himself this season and 64 the year before

These are young guys on the rise with minimal game time.

Logan 56 games
    McLean 53 games
    Amartey 28 games

We don’t really have a partner in crime for Tom at the back

Hopefully we pick up Grundy to partly help our contested footy.

I’m hopeful that we solve one or two key areas still to give us the best chance in 2024/25

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    They got old but thought they cold keep pinching players from other clubs to perpetuate their top 4 status. However they over rated some of these players. It will be very interesting to see how they regenerate their list to get the % improvement needed to climb back into the 8. Their how ground advantage has dissipated somewhat.

On the injuries: the staggering stat that gets to me is we lost 6 games when we were in front at 3 quarter time. So we won 12, drew one, so if we improved our clutch set shots we could well have won 3 of those games, that puts us in the top 4. Given that we had Mills, Papley, Rampe, Jmac with soft tissue injuries and Paddy gone for the season, in that context we had a darn good season and Barry is right to have confidence for 2024.
    We were both not far off it, and far off it indeed. But our injuries were horrendous. Add in Ladhams going down just when he was hitting some form and Hickey not being ready to step in; McDonald going out for a stretch of games (FWIW - I have supreme confidence he's going to be a 50 goal a year player for the next decade), Isaac and Paps clearly playing under duress the first half of the year; Amartey in then out then in then out; even Roberts who started the year promisingly got badly injured; Gus the same. Boy we copped it, so I'm confident too on 2024.

As for Geelong, they've been quietly rejuvenating their list for three years now. They'll be back up there quickly.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Agree with you waswan, particularly the two players in question are just reaching their prime. Both Hayward and Florent are key role players

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Teams on the cusp get better trading Picks for players not players for Picks.

Trading out best 22 for picks is a backwards step atm
    In theory and on balance, you're correct.

But it also depends on where you view our list. I think we've got a great shot at a couple of flags before the end of the decade if we get a few remaining bits right, but I think we're unlikely for next year.

As I said, I'm not wanting any particular player to leave. But if we need to do it to improve our chances, we shouldn't be shy about it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

DGB is a perfect example of the time it takes thru the draft.

Rated best defender in the draft, could still well be but 3yrs in and its no clearer.

We had some glory years of late with great picks and with heaps to develop im hoping we dislodge someone of note offering up outlr top picks

The commentators go on and on about game style, coach, tactics, role players, etc, etc about GWS's rise, but it could just be that they have no injuries. In fact, none of their best 22 has been injured. Their run coincides with Sam Taylor being available.
    It's as simple as that.

We have all the boxes ticked of good list, good coaches, good environment. All we need is a run of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The commentators go on and on about game style, coach, tactics, role players, etc, etc about GWS's rise, but it could just be that they have no injuries. In fact, none of their best 22 has been injured. Their run coincides with Sam Taylor being available.
    It's as simple as that.

We have all the boxes ticked of good list, good coaches, good environment. All we need is a run of luck.
    The football media, and footy players and coaches, are averse to referring to injuries to explain fluctuations in performance, because they always think (or pretend to think) it's making excuses.