Page 204 of 325 FirstFirst ... 104154194200201202203204205206207208214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,437 to 2,448 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    You are filling me with hope. Assuming we are going to trade Stephens for a second round draft pick we will have 3 picks in the second round. One will be used for Grundy, and hopefully one for Hollands, leaving us with a full hand of pick’s from rounds 1, 2, 3, and 4. Hopefully we can also pick up some free agents at the same time.
    Works for me

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I find it difficult to condemn North for seeking an receiving draft assistance. Especially as this package is nothing compared to what we received in the 1990's.
    No comparison, given the eras.

But here's my beef with it - Norf already (and this is not counting the two retiring ones in Cunnington and Zeibell) already have 11 (!) first round picks on their list, and were already guaranteed another three between picks 2 and 14, and the pick for McKay. Access to talent is not their issue.

They clearly have terrible player development; are actively pushing McKay out the door when they have no key defenders, and are letting Goldstein go, which suggests they are happy to stay mediocre; have done a merry-go-round of coaches; and are generally a poorly run club.

I get the case for equalisation but when a lot has been self-inflicted and they, touch wood, will now have Clarko for a full season, the AFL has totally over-reacted here - instead of tasking the club with sorting some issues for itself.

P.S: Count me in on the pursuit of Hollands. If he gets it right, can play with serious power and talent - his upside is almost Chad-like-levels.
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 25th September 2023 at 06:44 PM.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    No comparison, given the eras.
    Both teams have/had just lost their #1 draft pick to an interstate raider.
    Both teams have/had deplorable player development.
    Both teams are/were poorly run.
    Both teams have/had shrinking supporter bases.

"No comparison" may not be entirely accurate.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin

Do you have top of mind what assistance the Swans got back then?

The odd thing about the North assistance package is that they get 1 pick this year, but 2 next.

But those 2 picks may be reviewed if the club "materially increase" its on-field performance next season, but can be traded away by North this year.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that North will probably seek to tarade those two picks this year - rather than risk them going off.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Do you have top of mind what assistance the Swans got back then?
    1st and 3rd draft picks, to go with our fifth pick, in the '92 national draft for certain. With the same thing for the pre-season draft.
    Then I THINK we got the 1st and 4th in the '93 national, and the same thing again for the pre-season draft.

Senior Player
    1st and 3rd draft picks, to go with our fifth pick, in the '92 national draft for certain. With the same thing for the pre-season draft.
    Then I THINK we got the 1st and 4th in the '93 national, and the same thing again for the pre-season draft.
    Impressive memory! I think I've blocked out that part of our history.

Veteran Site Admin
    The odd thing about the North assistance package is that they get 1 pick this year, but 2 next.

But those 2 picks may be reviewed if the club "materially increase" its on-field performance next season, but can be traded away by North this year.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that North will probably seek to tarade those two picks this year - rather than risk them going off.
    Classic case of the AFL not having a clear idea of what assistance North needs, or how to provide it to them.

When they gave multiple rounds of assistance to the Suns, there was one draft pick for the following year that they had dangled in front of them but were told they couldn't trade because it might be taken away.

IMHO the AFL stuffed up the Gold Coast compensation. I know Gold Coast still haven't performed on field, but they have a list full of talent and it's hard to understand why they are still so inconsistent. I know a lot of their talent is still young, but I'm not sure that's an excuse. They have enough experience supporting that young talent to do better than they did this year. The AFL stuffed it up by giving them far too much - and more than they could use - to the point that they threw picks away. It's inconceivable that a club wouldn't have taken on Bowes and his contract had he been available for a very late pick. Throwing pick 7 in was dumb. It wasn't necessary. And if you look at some of the pick trades they've done in recent years, they are mostly very lopsided (not in Gold Coast's favour).

North probably don't need to trade those 2024 picks into this year. They already have three first round picks and they don't exactly have an exodus of talent to replace. I doubt they have any players to trade in this year that are worthy of a first round pick. But if they figure they're going to be much better next year, do they trade them just to get some value? What happens if they trade them for different future picks? If they improve next year, and they then allowed to keep the picks they traded for? I don't imagine the AFL can take the created picks off the clubs who traded for them.

It's all just a messy hotch potch.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Who was the pick 1 you’re talking about?

If you’re thinking Gaspar, you’re wrong. He was drafted in 93, and left after, and the draft package was granted before that.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Who was the pick 1 you’re talking about?
    If you’re thinking Gaspar, you’re wrong. He was drafted in 93, and left after, and the draft package was granted before that.
    Yes I was thinking Gaspar, and you are quite correct in that particular. The chronology of his leaving is as you say.

I should have been clearer, I meant to suggest that Gaspar was part of a pre-existing Swans player retention issue - an issue I believe both teams have/had.
    Do you agree with that similarity?
    Or with the other similarities listed between North and us with regard deplorable player development, club management and supporter bases?

If so then, then the "No comparison" assertion doesn't fly - and that the massively more generous concessions given to the Swans should give none of us grounds for getting our noses bent out of joint over North's concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Impressive memory! I think I've blocked out that part of our history.
    I try to, I think we blew all of those national draft concessions of ludicrous trades for mediocre talent and draftees that wouldn't come at all or bailed asap. Bad times, but it's always darkest before the dawn - and the new day included 2 flags.

Regular in the Side
    hopefully ireland and deboer now on commission these draft favours might stop for under performing vic clubs.