Page 206 of 325 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210216256306 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,472 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Senior Player
    If North’s problems have been in the management of the club, the AFL should have given them a higher cap for coaching/development, maybe some cash to pay for elite coaching/personnel development.

They have a reasonable list already plus a pick 2 coming their way from finishing 2nd last.

AFL should not have messed with first round draft picks this and last year (and next year) as it directly impacts so many clubs - and player careers, as the draft order is messed up and players end up going to different clubs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    She is one of the very best footy writers - especially for off field stuff. She is almost always balanced ...
    She doesn't understand football and that is why she concentrates on "off field stuff". She is anything but balanced and has been content to act as a stenographer for the AFL. For example, her attacks on James Hird were vicious and unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleCore View Post
    She doesn't understand football and that is why she concentrates on "off field stuff". She is anything but balanced and has been content to act as a stenographer for the AFL. For example, her attacks on James Hird were vicious and unfounded.
    Hird got off lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I know we “missed out” on McKay but it’s possible we may have withdrawn after his medical which showed knee problems and/or decided his ever increasing asking price was too high.

If Norf have got two free end of first rounders for 2024 that they’d be wise to use this year, I’d be asking for one of them for Stephens, even if we have to give something back.
    Of course we’ll try to get the best deal we can, but in reality we don’t have a strong hand, do we? Let’s face it, we made a mistake in picking him but these things happen to all clubs and now we just move on. I still have confidence in KB and Co to find the best players to fill the obvious gaps in our team but there is absolutely no point in trading in list cloggers like they’ve done in the past. If we can’t get players who have the potential to be regular 22 and above average, I’d rather not get them at all. The first criterion is the player wanting to come- hence a line through Mackay and a tick for Grundy. Our recruiters have to identify others with potential not getting games at other clubs or a star who wants to come- but do we have the cap size to make an offer they can’t refuse? I doubt it……..

Latest trade rumours. We have joined the queue with Brisbane & Collingwood for Tom Doedee.

AFL trade news, rumours, whispers 2023: Shane McAdam Melbourne, Harry Petty, Mabior Chol Hawthorn, Zac Fisher North Melbourne, Paddy Dow

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Latest trade rumours. We have joined the queue with Brisbane & Collingwood for Tom Doedee.

AFL trade news, rumours, whispers 2023: Shane McAdam Melbourne, Harry Petty, Mabior Chol Hawthorn, Zac Fisher North Melbourne, Paddy Dow
    Nothing like getting into a bidding war for a bloke recovering from an ACL thats never looked like making a All Oz team.

Assume after Naismith and AJ our medical team are looking for their next challenge

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Nothing like getting into a bidding war for a bloke recovering from an ACL thats never looked like making a All Oz team.
    Assume after Naismith and AJ our medical team are looking for their next challenge
    Leaving aside the 187cm Dodo, Harrison Petty was also mentioned in that article just not in connection to "The Swans [who] have been hunting key-position depth for months"
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I know we “missed out” on McKay but it’s possible we may have withdrawn after his medical which showed knee problems and/or decided his ever increasing asking price was too high.

If Norf have got two free end of first rounders for 2024 that they’d be wise to use this year, I’d be asking for one of them for Stephens, even if we have to give something back.
    I think the trade of future pick 19 for Stephens is plausible, plus a swap of later picks. More optimistically, this could be a straight swap, but IMO the Stephens trade is more likely to be equivalent to pick 30 or so.

North Melbourne have these picks this year: 2, 14, 19 (assistance package), 40, 52, 60. Sydney Swans have these picks: 11, 23, 31, 42, 50. For next year's draft, North have two picks at 19 and 20 (assistance package).

The structure of the assistance package is interesting. One pick this year, two picks next year? This suggests a couple of scenarios: (1) North value next year's draft more than this year's, or (2) the AFL looked at the two first-round picks that North currently hold, plus a possible first-round compo pick for McKay, and decided that five first-round picks was too much. I think it's the latter.

As for possible trades, that depends on whether we're chasing picks in this year's draft or next year's. Do North want second-round picks this year? Maybe we're looking to upgrade?

I think we might be able to pry pick 14 or pick 19 from North Melbourne, in exchange for Stephens and a second-round pick.
    * 14 for Stephens and 23 means Stephens would be valued at pick 46.
    * 19 for Stephens and 31 means Stephens would be valued at pick 46.
    * 14 for Stephens and 31 means Stephens would be valued at pick 34.

More likely, North may want to use pick 2 and pick 14 as a part of a trade for pick 1, so I doubt a trade involving pick 14 for Stephens would happen.

Also noteworthy is that this year's draft is seen as "shallow" this year, so picks after about 30 won't pull their full weight this year. I'm expecting a trade for Stephens to involve future picks.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I think the trade of future pick 19 for Stephens is plausible, plus a swap of later picks. More optimistically, this could be a straight swap, but IMO the Stephens trade is more likely to be equivalent to pick 30 or so.

North Melbourne have these picks this year: 2, 14, 19 (assistance package), 40, 52, 60. Sydney Swans have these picks: 11, 23, 31, 42, 50. For next year's draft, North have two picks at 19 and 20 (assistance package).

The structure of the assistance package is interesting. One pick this year, two picks next year? This suggests a couple of scenarios: (1) North value next year's draft more than this year's, or (2) the AFL looked at the two first-round picks that North currently hold, plus a possible first-round compo pick for McKay, and decided that five first-round picks was too much. I think it's the latter.

As for possible trades, that depends on whether we're chasing picks in this year's draft or next year's. Do North want second-round picks this year? Maybe we're looking to upgrade?

I think we might be able to pry pick 14 or pick 19 from North Melbourne, in exchange for Stephens and a second-round pick.
    * 14 for Stephens and 23 means Stephens would be valued at pick 46.
    * 19 for Stephens and 31 means Stephens would be valued at pick 46.
    * 14 for Stephens and 31 means Stephens would be valued at pick 34.

More likely, North may want to use pick 2 and pick 14 as a part of a trade for pick 1, so I doubt a trade involving pick 14 for Stephens would happen.

Also noteworthy is that this year's draft is seen as "shallow" this year, so picks after about 30 won't pull their full weight this year. I'm expecting a trade for Stephens to involve future picks.
    Seriously doubt we will get more than pick 3/4th round pick for him if anything, they can just walk him through the recycled players draft for nothing, so it dilutes any value he may have

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    Seriously doubt we will get more than pick 3/4th round pick for him if anything, they can just walk him through the recycled players draft for nothing, so it dilutes any value he may have
    We should get a first rounder for Dyl. In the first 10. After all he was ranked higher than Serong.

Does Mills 9 to 12 month injury recovery change anything for recruitment?

June to September 2024 we can expect to see Mills miss minimum 12 rounds of footy and possibly 24 rounds

That is a massive amount for a key player / mid

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Does Mills 9 to 12 month injury recovery change anything for recruitment?

June to September 2024 we can expect to see Mills miss minimum 12 rounds of footy and possibly 24 rounds

That is a massive amount for a key player / mid
    I think if we were not chasing a big bodied mid we will be now . The thing that really hurts is his flexibility of being able to play back also as needed . Not many of those players floating around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk