Page 214 of 325 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224264314 ... LastLast
Results 2,557 to 2,568 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Stephen’s and Dow could end up even in trade currency but we end up with more inside mid grunt = PLUS

Jordon nil cost in trade picks FA = PLUS

Grundy we may end up improving our early pick 30 with Melbourne given we are in the drivers seat on this trade…..IF Melbourne really want to move him on for $ and if he will only deal with Swans = PLUS x 2

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you Auntie.
    I would be very disappointed given the draft hand hold if we do not add more depth. With Stephens departure presumably for a pick 2 we will still have a full draft hand allowing for one of the 3 second round picks to be used for Grundy. I would expect at least one more, and possibly two experienced players to be added in addition to Jordan and Grundy

Veterans List
    I called a couple months back for a straight swap of Stephens for Dow and it feels like with North's intervention that may play out. He has some significant deficiencies but Dow is far more likely than DS to have some impact at AFL level. We should take some solace from the Blues' ability to get so many top 10 draft selections wrong and still be competitive but the Stephens/Serong trading places moment must still give the Swans list management nightmares.

Don't know a lot about Jordan but what I've seen I've liked - a real competitor with some good footy skills and some flexibility. Taking the #23/24 player from a top flight club with real squad depth was a winning strategy for us once upon a time (Bolton, Jolly, Richards, Mumford), let's hope it can do so again. More importantly, it's great that these in demand players are keen to make the move - we haven't seen that for some years. (FWIW there has been mentions on BF Pies board that Taylor Adams has asked to come to the Swans - strange if true).

Great news about Grundy if we can make that happen. It does however cloud over the decline and fall of Ladhams. I mean WTF happened here? Seems a real failure of our trading DD, not to mention a step back from our famous "no D***heads policy." I hope questions are being asked internally.

All in all, a promising off season awaits - it's no coincidence that the two grand finallists were two of the most active traders in 2022.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    So far as I can tell from this thread, this is how the trading will play out:

In: Grundy, Jordon, Dow
    Out: Stephens, one second-round pick. The pick we get for Stephens may be on-traded to Melbourne for Grundy. Carlton gets the other.
    Still needed: a KP defender and another smaller defender. We may get a KPD via a trade, but we may be looking to draft one with our pick 11. Perhaps both. KPD who may be available at our first-round pick: Connor O'Sullivan (replacement for Reid), Ollie Murphy. We may trade for a smaller defender (replacement for Rampe) or draft one with a second-round pick.
    Delist: Don't know, and I won't speculate here. (I dislike naming players who may be delisted.)

More speculative: a pick swap with Geelong. IMO we won't get Gold Coast's pick 4, but we may be able to trade for Geelong's pick 7. That's their only pick in the first four rounds, and they may want to trade it for additional picks. We have plenty of picks. A possible trade: pick 7 and a future second-round pick for pick 11 and pick 23. Geelong's future picks may be useful, and trading into next year's draft is also useful. We are more likely to make such a trade if we're after O'Sullivan.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    I know we have an informal no d-heads policy, but Zorko is unsigned and hungry for a flag.

One year and out the door?

Sheldrick would need to spend more time in the VFL next year as a depth player.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I know we have an informal no d-heads policy, but Zorko is unsigned and hungry for a flag.

One year and out the door?

Sheldrick would need to spend more time in the VFL next year as a depth player.

Thoughts?
    Not after his performance on Saturday - burns the ball too often

I get the frustration with the Serong/Stephens draft. However, I do wonder if we would’ve drafted Chad later in that draft if we already had drafted Serong.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I get the frustration with the Serong/Stephens draft. However, I do wonder if we would’ve drafted Chad later in that draft if we already had drafted Serong.
    Good point....but it would be great to have both.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Good point....but it would be great to have both.
    It’s a “who knows” sort of thing but it makes me feel better. I’m normally one to put my trust in Kin but it was almost universally hoped that we’d pick the Swans supporter Serong in that draft.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    As someone else noted, we would have likely taken JVR instead of Sheldrick, if we had taken Serong instead of Stephens, assuming he had developed in a similar way with us as he has with Fremantle.

So it isn’t really much of a consolation :/

I’ve also noted before (and someone else also did recently as well) that we also missed out with Ling/Berry, though injury is harder to predict.

We also could have taken Tim English (pick 19) who was touted an a possible top 10-15 instead of Florent (or traded picks to move up a few from pick 21 to take him instead of Hayward).

Senior Player
    Key dates:

AFL Trade Period Key Dates - AFL.com.au

The next big one for us is 7:30 PM Wednesday 18 October, which is the deadline for player trades.

So 16 days to confirm if we get Grundy, Dow etc, and what we get back for Stephens.

James Jordon, we can sign after the 18th as he is not a trade, but I imagine we want to confirm the details during the same period, as it may impact if we still want Dow or how much we are prepared to trade for him.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Key dates:

AFL Trade Period Key Dates - AFL.com.au

The next big one for us is 7:30 PM Wednesday 18 October, which is the deadline for player trades.
    Our lodgement of list changes comes before then. I'm expecting delistings to be announced on Friday 6th, after the B&F.

The only clubs that have not yet announced any delistings are Brisbane, Collingwood, Gold Coast and Sydney. Swans always announce late, after the B&F. Gold Coast's delay is mysterious, they had their B&F four weeks ago.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final