Page 219 of 325 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229269319 ... LastLast
Results 2,617 to 2,628 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

On the veteran's list
    Something worrying here. (Besides didn’t Kinnear make him cry before his draft?)

Melbourne open to trading Oliver for the right price amid frustration and concern from teammates

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Something worrying here. (Besides didn’t Kinnear make him cry before his draft?)

Melbourne open to trading Oliver for the right price amid frustration and concern from teammates
    Yeah he did apparently. It seems that didn't affect his football the next 8 seasons though.

I mean hey, Aaron Francis was selected two picks after him, so we can take some solace in the fact we have him on our list! Lol

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by troyjones2525; 3rd October 2023 at 11:07 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Carlton trading in Chris Judd got them nowhere important. Not because Judd didn't hold up his end of the bargain but because a star player in an ordinary team gets you nowhere. And they threw in a very young Josh Kennedy as steak knives in the trade.

What would people be prepared to lose to get Oliver? McDonald is the first player I reckon Melbourne would ask for. And then maybe Chad or Errol. Even if we didn't lose all three, our ability to retain them when their contracts next expire and West Coast, Freo or Carlton coming aknocking would be diminished.

I'd rather keep those three and back a gradual development of a more even midfield from our still very young group.

Controversial call - what about Heeney?

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    I heard we have made an offer to Hamling and he has accepted this. However I cannot find this mentioned in any media. Can anyone confirm this?

Senior Player
    I love Oliver and rate him as one of the best in the comp, but I’m with liz, the cost to get a player like him who isn’t a free agent would be way too high

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Carlton trading in Chris Judd got them nowhere important. Not because Judd didn't hold up his end of the bargain but because a star player in an ordinary team gets you nowhere. And they threw in a very young Josh Kennedy as steak knives in the trade.

What would people be prepared to lose to get Oliver? McDonald is the first player I reckon Melbourne would ask for. And then maybe Chad or Errol. Even if we didn't lose all three, our ability to retain them when their contracts next expire and West Coast, Freo or Carlton coming aknocking would be diminished.

I'd rather keep those three and back a gradual development of a more even midfield from our still very young group.
    I would trade Chad for Oliver comfortably. I wouldn't trade Errol and don't think he'll ever leave so not concerned with the contract.

I would definitely also rather not trade Logan but I would consider Amarty (who I rate) if they asked for him.

I seriously doubt it will even happen though so it's all hypothetical at this point.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    I don’t think we’re that far away if a few of our youngsters continue to develop and we can get some cheap reinforcements in areas of need (ie Grundy)

As good as Oliver is, to get him in would probably involve 2 first round picks and one of our top 5 young players. It’s a massive risk and basically involves tearing down what we’ve spent building up over the last few years

Reading between the lines I think it could be a case of buyer beware with Oliver . Been lots of rumours all year about him , not saying there true but sometimes we’re there is smoke there is fire . You don’t want a player to move in with the captain if everything is rosey.
    If it cost us one of Errol , Chad or Logan it’s got to be a no !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Reading between the lines I think it could be a case of buyer beware with Oliver . Been lots of rumours all year about him , not saying there true but sometimes we’re there is smoke there is fire . You don’t want a player to move in with the captain if everything is rosey.
    If it cost us one of Errol , Chad or Logan it’s got to be a no !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree. Those three players are major parts of our future.
    Oliver might be a top player himself, but Melbourne ultimately ended up with as many chocolates as Sydney this season; none.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The rumours are:

Sydney Swans set to play hardball on Grundy,

apparently premiership defender Joel Hamling from Freeo has requested a trade to Sydney

Don Pyke looking like he'll be the next CEO of West Coast which opens up an assistant coaching spot for us (Stuart Dew reunion please!)

Paddy Dow is apparently in Japan, weighing up decision to join either St Kilda or Sydney.

Jordon from Melb has reportedly requested a trade to Sydney Swans

Stephen’s requested a trade to North Melb

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Controversial call - what about Heeney?
    I tend to agree with Liz that the issue with Oliver is what he does to your future cap, so you’d need to make a call of this magnitude to make it work.

I’ll say this - even though I suspect a lot of this is someone said something to someone who said something to someone who posted on bigfooty and then a journo rang someone and the biggest act of Chinese whispers began - if Clayton Oliver is available, we’d be mad not to see what’s possible.

This year wasn’t his best due to injury, but he’s arguably the best player in the game. He’s on track to be the best clearance and contested player of the decade, and he will likely go on to smash the records JPK posted at one point. He does the very essence of the game - win the ball in heat - better than anyone and by a fair margin. He’s also become more damaging with ball in hand the last three years.

Personally, other than Errol (elite) and Chad (will be elite again), Logan (will be elite and structurally crucial) and Tom Mc (is elite-adjacent and structurally crucial), I’d contemplate anything to get him. How we afford him, and what we have to do from there to get him is another story. But if it’s real, we’d be seriously negligent not to at least explore it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say