Page 258 of 325 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308 ... LastLast
Results 3,085 to 3,096 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

  1. #3085
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney East
    Posts
    4,668
    The other thing about the recruitment of Adams is we get first hand access to the training techniques that have made the Pies the outstanding final quarter team they've become - worth the price of admission alone I reckon.

  2. #3086
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,308
    With triple premiership coaches and a bevy of 1st round picks over the next couple of drafts, it shouldn't be long before GC and NM are challenging for a premiership. Or they could be like Carlton, who I think had something like 15 first rounders on their list recently (and maybe still do).

    It's easy in hindsight to be critical of the Stephens selection in 2019. Everyone was upbeat about the selection at the time. Most draft gurus had us taking Flanders in the draft, who would have been better than Stephens, but it's not like it was a toss up between Serong and Stephens and we clearly screwed up.

    i wonder where ZZ will fall in the draft. I don't see much value in pick 12 this year. Unless we trade it out along with a our 2024 1st rounder, there's little chance we can get a high enough pick to draft O'Sullivan. We will have to wait until the trade period finishes to see who owns what picks. Depending on the projected range for ZZ, I would look to trade down pick 12 for a pick around 20 this year and a future 2nd rounder.

    Hamling, McCartin, Melican, Arnold, Francis, Edwards, McDonald, Amartey, McLean, Buller, Reid. That's 11 KPPs. Lots of doubt about quality and injury risk, but the bodies are there to fill 5 spots. I don't think anyone can predict how it will pan out. We only need about half to come through next year and then reassess the situation. We need to extend McDonald asap. I would think that we would be lining up possible replacements next post season; there will certainly be a few to cut from that group next year.

    We've given ourselves as good a chance as possible to challenge for a top 4 spot next year. There's plenty of injury risk in our list. How that goes may well determine how the season pans out for us.

  3. #3087
    Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Over here!
    Posts
    3,834
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    The other thing about the recruitment of Adams is we get first hand access to the training techniques that have made the Pies the outstanding final quarter team they've become - worth the price of admission alone I reckon.
    Hadn't thought of that
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

  4. #3088
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    4,285
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With triple premiership coaches and a bevy of 1st round picks over the next couple of drafts, it shouldn't be long before GC and NM are challenging for a premiership. Or they could be like Carlton, who I think had something like 15 first rounders on their list recently (and maybe still do).
    The Suns have a plan and in the past three years, substantially improved their player development - and will now benefit enormously from their Academy.

    Norf don't and will remain crap. Norf already have 11 first round draft picks on their list - either direct, or traded in - and that's AFTER the retirements and delistings this year. They are clearly crap at player development. Rather than a bevy of draft picks, the AFL should have given them a temporary investment in their development program to sort that out first; rather than waste the time and career and aspirations of another generation of bright-eyed kids who'll be spat out by a club mired in mediocrity.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  5. #3089
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,308
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

    Norf don't and will remain crap. Norf already have 11 first round draft picks on their list - either direct, or traded in - and that's AFTER the retirements and delistings this year. They are clearly crap at player development. Rather than a bevy of draft picks, the AFL should have given them a temporary investment in their development program to sort that out first; rather than waste the time and career and aspirations of another generation of bright-eyed kids who'll be spat out by a club mired in mediocrity.
    What are the chances that Clarko can fix that? Frankly, I don't know. But a lot of AFL commentators think he's the best coach and should be able to.

  6. #3090
    Reefer Madness
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    in a yellow submarine
    Posts
    4,285
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What are the chances that Clarko can fix that? Frankly, I don't know. But a lot of AFL commentators think he's the best coach and should be able to.
    Potentially, but I've also posted on here before - that's part of the reason I think the AFL should have held off dumping a fresh batch of kids in there. Clarko was out most of last season, so give him a full year crack at improving them before loading up their draft hand to a ridiculous degree.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

  7. #3091
    Senior Player sharp9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cust, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,499
    What if North go alright next year and the AFL don’t give them the end of first round compo picks? Remember that they are not confirmed.

  8. #3092
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    What if North go alright next year and the AFL don’t give them the end of first round compo picks? Remember that they are not confirmed.
    the compo picks are no longer relevant as they have already traded them (1 to us) so it no longer matters if they overachieve next year

  9. #3093
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What are the chances that Clarko can fix that? Frankly, I don't know. But a lot of AFL commentators think he's the best coach and should be able to.
    North have the best young Vic midfield and a bundle of picks.
    A full fwd and some good pieces.
    They need some talls but most teams do. Its crazy they got any handouts.

    They will be very good in 3-5yrs

  10. #3094
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    8,111
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Finish 2nd in the F&B and played almost a full year

    Hamling can be a good pickup, only cautious part about him for me is that he has looked like a good pick up for 8yrs. He did have a bad ankle injury for most of his time at Freo
    Thanks for that. Hope he has a good run with us.

  11. #3095
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    8,111
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think the puts a full stop on one of the worst draft decision we made in picking Stephens at 5 , or 6 .. whatever it was.
    To now be ranked the 34th best player in a draft in only two years, questions need to be asked what the selectors saw in him, and how that didn't translate into a decent long term player for the club.
    ....and why they didn't see Swans fan Serong as a better choice. I'm sure KB and crew just want to quietly move on from that complete stuff up now....and I hope they learn from it.

  12. #3096
    Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    North have the best young Vic midfield and a bundle of picks.
    A full fwd and some good pieces.
    They need some talls but most teams do. Its crazy they got any handouts.

    They will be very good in 3-5yrs
    I agree. North Melbourne lost 20 games in a row, but several of those losses were competitive (about five goals or less), especially later in the season. If they can improve by two goals a game next year, they could win about seven games or so, and will improve from there.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO