Page 265 of 325 FirstFirst ... 165215255261262263264265266267268269275315 ... LastLast
Results 3,169 to 3,180 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    If as KB said an “A grade player comes along, we will ask and ask significantly put out case forward over 10yrs ”

I mean let’s get real. That is a real deal.

I’ll take bets.

If Amartey scores more goals n his career than Jamarra Ugle-Hagan………I don’t think that is possible. Low odds.

When Naughton and or JUH come along you have a go otherwise you run the risk of missing a seriously improving talent that is a decade player.

Anyone want to state their bet on Amarteys career goals?
    Hypothetically.
    Is most goals kicked the best criteria for assessing a forward?
    I know it's a simple criteria to calculate, and time homoured.
    But I wonder whether most-goals-kicked-by-the-team-while-that-forward-was-in-the-team mightn't be a better criteria. Look at the collective result to evaluate the individuals contribution.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

On the veteran's list
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    thunder - what’s you gut feeling in which way we will go with these 3 picks ?

How do u think we will use and or adjust them?
    Pick 12 (about 17 on draft night): defender, either Murphy or Leake.
    Match bid on Cleary wherever it comes.
    Not sure about the third, if we use it at all it will be so late that it's hard to tell.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Maybe the too many many key forwards issue would have been resolved with a move by someone down back. Although probably not Naughton - even if he began his career as a defender.
    It might still need to be. Without Naughton we do still seem to have a surfeit of potential key forwards. Not just McLean, Amarty and LoganMc - but Jack Buller too, although didn't he play down back as a colt?
    And Peter Ladhams
    With Grundy arriving, is he to be a 2's permanent fixture (with occasional 1st's games if Grundy is injured/suspended/needs a rest)?
    Or do we play . . . . . . . . . 2 ruckmen?
    I suspect we certainly will be playing 2 ruckmen, in the 2's at least (Mensa & McAndrew). But in the firsts?
    If we do play Ladhams as a forward/ruck - if so I can't see him, McLean, Amarty and Logan in the same forward line - that's more tall timber than the Daintree.
    Are you still thinking McLean might make a backman?
    Since Grundy is a ruckman best played in the midfield (as opposed to drifting forward), I see him rucking 80% of the time then resting on the bench, to be replaced by one of our forwards. It could even be McLean and Amartey at 10% each. If Ladhams plays, he will have to prove himself a better forward asset than the others mentioned. He does offer more in the ruck than a McLean, but not enough to push McLean out of the side. So perhaps we should count Ladhams as part of the forward group, unless Grundy gets injured.

Although McLean hasn't played as a defender, I think he shows the kind of attributes that make for a good defender, including, good contested mark, reads the ball well in the air, has a good tank (which is important since many key forwards rack up 15 km a game), and when he's drifted back, he's made some good intercept marks.

If we had a solid group of key defenders, I wouldn't bother looking to our forwards to switch. Maybe it will all be fine, like McCartin, Melican and Hamling will have injury free seasons and be in career best form. We can only hope.

It’s a strange situation we are in Re the draft

I just can’t get a read on what we need to secure Cleary ie a draft pick or not even

But we are in a bind ……our last two picks combined to a club that needs the multiple picks for pts we can’t really make happen as the one pick…….just in case a club went to Cleary late

Do I have that right ?

Veteran Site Admin

I just can’t get a read on what we need to secure Cleary ie a draft pick or not even

But we are in a bind ……our last two picks combined to a club that needs the multiple picks for pts we can’t really make happen as the one pick…….just in case a club went to Cleary late

Do I have that right ?
    This post doesn't make much sense to me - in the literal sense: I don't understand what you're asking. The two later picks we currently hold have plenty of points attached to them to match any bid towards the end of the first round. Or at least, they will have enough points attached by the time bids for Walter, Read, Rogers, Croft and (maybe) McCabe have come and been matched.

I thought that a few posters on this forum sensed we are only going to use two picks in this draft?

Therefore if a club in the AFL wanted to swap our two late picks for one pick….. we jump up in the talent available to draft? Which is encouraging. Could even end up early 30s or better?

But the issue for me is that if we did that we may have to take Cleary in the early 30s or even better but it is unknown if he would even be drafted which is a tricky landscape to navigate:

So if we go down the path of two picks the second player will have to be Cleary? No matter what?

If we go down the 3 picks path in the draft we are a long way back at pick 45 for our second pick or maybe a bit better as TS has pointed out?

Apologies if I have this scenario all wrong?

I suppose I was hoping we could go:

First rounder

Improve our second pick significantly to obtain quality

Pick Cleary up as a rookie and not in the draft

Or can we try and combine our picks two and three to drive up into the better picks this drat?

And use picks next year to grab Cleary if he is drafted late this year?

But I’m guessing that shifts our future first rounder in a way that is not desirable?

Veteran Site Admin
    Or can we try and combine our picks two and three to drive up into the better picks this drat?
    We can try. But who is the seller? Most clubs have a pick or two around that spot that they can use to find a late draft roughie. But the only clubs likely to value that pair of picks more than a single, slightly higher pick are those with bids to match. Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs. And us!

Gold Coast look like they're maxed on the number of picks they can hold coming into the draft, though they can dilute them with live trading once the draft has started (due to a dumb loophole in the rule introduced to excessively large number of late picks being used to match bids).

Western Bulldogs look a little light on for points for Croft but they have nothing between 5 and 40. That 40 is only a wee bit higher than our 45. I haven't examined how many free spots the Dogs will carry into the draft to know if they can acquire more picks ahead of time, but that pick will be long gone before we know if it is of value to us - ie if a pick for Cleary comes later and there's someone available when that pick comes along that we're interested in. It will be absorbed by matching a bid somewhere in the teens, probably. We could trade for it early on draft night but that seems daft for such a small increase and for a worsened hand if a pick for Cleary comes earlier.

Of course, the club may not be that interested in Cleary. They may be happy to let him pass through to another club. Or only have interest in taking him if he gets through to the rookie list. Most of us (maybe all of us on here) have no real idea.

Veterans List

Do I have that right ?
    What does it matter, Beatson is just going to pick the 2023 version of Dean Towers or Matt Ling. Never understand why RWOers get all excited about the draft.

Senior Player
    He just warms up in the first round for the players he chooses later.

Alrighty
    I’ll jump back in the box
    No more scenario planning 🤓😁
    Thanks for the help to review ladies and gents

Sounds like I was being a little too hopeful to achieve a strong first rounder and solid second rounder and then rookie Cleary

Cleary is such a difficult one for us supporters to guess Re value

I just wondered would he have to be equal minimum to say Corey Warner pick 40 given Caidens performances this year?

Ie he averaged 29 touches, four clearances, and seven tackles.at the Allies level and made All Australian and ran a 6min 2km at the combine and 6 VFL games and likened to Lachie Neale and Patch Adams?