Page 308 of 325 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318 ... LastLast
Results 3,685 to 3,696 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Capped per season or capped over a rolling 3 years?

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Jono,
    You are of course correct in what you are saying, but the same Victorian Clubs never complain about the huge advantage they have when it comes to father/ son academies that they all run. For some reason that is considered different!!!
    The fact is you get swings and roundabouts in both.
    I suspect the thing that irks the Victorian clubs most is the success of the academy’s is making it more difficult for them to raid the northern clubs

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think the issue with our defence is not the volume and quality of our younger small and mobile defenders. Blakey is elite, Florent good and there's a few others with real potential.

It's our talls. We either have plodders or injury-prone types, and McCartin - who is elite. But he's also now the most important player on our list in some ways, as there's no replacement for him.

I'm just not sure what the club - having gone all in during the trade period, and had nothing of quality available to them at our pick last night - was meant to do. It's not like we've not tried this year; it's probably more an accumulation of historical list issues. I do have hope for Edwards, as I think he's continually improved, but you wouldn't bank on it yet. Anyway, fingers and toes crossed for Tom Mc.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I mean it is so rare to to be able to complete a list for much more than a season or two

And then if injuries strike it can unravel in an instant

At the same time I have always argued we need to give ourselves our best shot

If we can control the middle and the key turnover areas for our counter attack then this reduces the need for a seriously elite backline of KPDs

If we can apply enough scoreboard pressure (which will be a big test in 2024) then we also reduce the need for an elite KPD.

But watching a player like May or Moore be able to stand one on one isolated and deep……and keep the pressure up the field rather than stacking our defence or a plus 1 is a joy to watch.

Maybe we have gone with tall depth at value prices because we are working on still bringing in a key tall defender at the end of 2024.

Maybe we think we have enough with what we now have…….I think unlikely but it may be serviceable if our other keys areas fire.

Maybe we still have our sights on that big tall athletic goal kicking forward to trade or FA into the harbour city and need the short term value defenders just for now. Hamling, Melican and Francis all finishing end of 2024 unless renewed. Rampe retiring 2025 most likely and or slowing down?

It is a bit of a mystery and an interesting strategy Re our tall defence. I suppose what adds to the mystery is not “so far” building in more tall KPD youth of quality ?

It was equally a massive change to have Paddy Mac suddenly exit just when he and Tom were making a great combo at the back. That has made a new Plan A very trickle short term and no lack of trying to lure some experience that didn’t, in part, want to come to Sydney.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    You need to go back and look at the facts. Kinnear is up there with the best of them. Every club has its “busts”, but on average Kinnear and his team have done a great job. They have rebuilt on the run without bottoming out, and that takes skill and careful planning.
    I am sure you will come back and say it was because of the academy, but also look at what clubs like Collingwood have done with father/son and their academy (Quaynor).
    It a lot more than good luck

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Hamling has a 2 year contract so he will be there at least until the end of 2025.
    I thought both Melican and Francis contributed at times last year which will hopefully give them some confidence going into next season, and will be handy backup in case of injury

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Not an unreasonable position.

Jed Walter was born in Perth and lived there until 10 before moving to Gold Coast. Comes from an AFL supporting family.

Is that who the academy is designed for? I guess it is to provide the continual pathway.

I’ve no issue with the Jed pick being Gold Coasts, but 3 inside 15 is a bit rich with another in the 20’s. It should be capped.
    Just out of curiosity would you still have the same opinion if it was the Swans who had the 4 academy players?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think Green is a very good choice. He is a mobile ruck who can play as an extra mid. He can also play CHB. In the coming years he and McAndrew might just make a very formidable partnership.
    He may turn out to be a player, but it will be some years off and where this notion that he could somehow play CHB comes from I have no idea. As I said, I have no issue with project ruckmen, I just don't see why they require a first round draft pick.

I don't know many of the squad defenders you've mentioned - I hope we've found a few gems in there, but take little comfort that when we were devastated with injuries in that part of the ground, none of these players got a run. And then the club felt it necessary to recruit a(nother) journeyman defender in the off-season.

Time will tell I guess.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Not an unreasonable position.

Jed Walter was born in Perth and lived there until 10 before moving to Gold Coast. Comes from an AFL supporting family.

Is that who the academy is designed for? I guess it is to provide the continual pathway.

I’ve no issue with the Jed pick being Gold Coasts, but 3 inside 15 is a bit rich with another in the 20’s. It should be capped.
    This was the Blakey dilemma - if he comes from a footballing family, does that mean he can't have access to the academy? In a non-AFL state, how does he get access to quality development? Get a scholarship to Scotch College?

I do note that Walter said he was 8 when they moved to the GC and he didn't take up footy until he was 9.

I think this was a brilliant result for a Club that has been plundered forever - will be more difficult for the Melbourne clubs when they can't just rely on the "take me home" factor out of the northern clubs to build their premiership lists.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Interview on Swans website with Anthony Rocca who was Green's Under 18 coach. Huge wrap for him. Worth a look at what he says.
    Yep, the naysayers should watch this:

"I reckon he's gonna be one of the premier ruckman in the competition" - Rocca - YouTube

Regular in the Side
    I hope Gren turns out better than the last Northern Kniughts player drafted by the Swans. PV are his initials/

Warming the Bench
    Welcome to the Swans Will and Caiden. Hopefully you both have long and successful careers with us.

On the academy selections, I imagine that at some point the discount will be watered down, and the only advantage that will remain is that the club has a right to trump the bid at the draft.