Page 317 of 325 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321 ... LastLast
Results 3,793 to 3,804 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Correct BRS328, although 20 was the lowest number of games I could find having been used - except for a single case of zero games, where a long term Geelong administrator's service quaified his son.

The change to 100 games was supposed to stop the rorting to the FS rule - it wasn't sufficient to appease the opinion formers and so the bidding system was introduced shortly after.

Typically with the AFL, the flawed rule change was simply left in place even after a suitable rule change was established. Which effectively limited the positivity generated by the FS rule.

I for one think there should be any game qualification, and I think there should also be a grandfather/grandson rule. The bidding system has pretty much stopped the rorting, and as an incurable romantic I love seeing Tom Papley in red and white, and am disappointed Callum Ward never did.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Private schools down here also pinch kids from Government schools and give them scholarships to strengthen their teams
    That doesn't seem like the best use of development funds.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    In fairness the scholarship program for private school education is Australia wide and applies to all of the development programs including the academies in the Northern States.
    You need to remember 98%, or thereabouts, are simply not good enough to make it at the elite level, so at least they are given the best opportunity to prepare themselves for life after football.
    If you speak to some of the families involved most are very appreciative of the opportunity.
    There are other benefits including players going back to local clubs, and they, and the families generally remain long term fans which is particularly important in the northern states

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Vacant jumper numbers: 3, 4, 12, 17, 23, 31, 33, 39, 40, 41, 45 (6 delisted, 3 retired, 1 trade, 1 retired in 2022 and left vacant)

Players who need numbers: Taylor Adams, Caiden Cleary, Will Green, Brodie Grundy, Joel Hamling, James Jordon, Indhi Kirk, Patrick Snell

Players' numbers at old clubs: Taylor Adams (30,11,13), Brodie Grundy (35, 4, 6), Joel Hamling (30,21), James Jordon (23)

My guess: 3=Adams, 4=Grundy, 12=Cleary, 17=Green, 23=Jordon, 31=Kirk, 33=Hamling, 39=Snell

(Assuming no new numbers given to current players. I'm expecting one such change though, there's usually about one each year.)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Vacant jumper numbers: 3, 4, 12, 17, 23, 31, 33, 39, 40, 41, 45 (6 delisted, 3 retired, 1 trade, 1 retired in 2022 and left vacant)

Players who need numbers: Taylor Adams, Caiden Cleary, Will Green, Brodie Grundy, Joel Hamling, James Jordon, Indhi Kirk, Patrick Snell

Players' numbers at old clubs: Taylor Adams (30,11,13), Brodie Grundy (35, 4, 6), Joel Hamling (30,21), James Jordon (23)

My guess: 3=Adams, 4=Grundy, 12=Cleary, 17=Green, 23=Jordon, 31=Kirk, 33=Hamling, 39=Snell

(Assuming no new numbers given to current players. I'm expecting one such change though, there's usually about one each year.)
    Will be interesting to see if they give Bud's number - 23 - a year or two out of rotation.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Yes, it'll be nice if Indhi gets Brett's old 31.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Will be interesting to see if they give Bud's number - 23 - a year or two out of rotation.
    I think this will occur if Jordon doesn't specifically request the number. I made my guess on the assumption he will.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it'll be nice if Indhi gets Brett's old 31.
    Giving Brett Kirk's old number to his son was an obvious choice. I will be surprised if the club did not do this.

The single-digit numbers 3 and 4 may be in demand. Grundy may choose 4, if he wants to have his old number from Collingwood. 3 is hard to tell. That's the number that I expect is most likely to be claimed by an established player. I gave it to Adams, for no particular reason.

I expect 12 will go to a midfielder next season. I'm guessing it goes to Cleary. I can see alternative scenarios such as Adams getting 12 and Cleary 3, but it's just my speculation.

39 is an interesting number. There is a recent pattern of that number going to a good defender. That was "Reg" Grundy's number, and Paddy McCartin's number as well. I expect that number to go to Hamling or Snell. I chose Snell in my previous post (with Hamling getting 33), but Snell could get 33 and Hamling could get 39 instead.

Green got 17 because it was the last low number left. 17 is a good number, it could have gone to anyone.

40, 41 and 45 are left over. This suggests some more shuffling may happen. Would Buller want a new number, perhaps 40?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    I imagine Kirk will be offered 31. He may not want it though - might prefer a number of his own.

On the veteran's list
    When Longmire presented Green with a jumper at his home, it appeared to have a number on the back. (just a quick flash, impossible to read.)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

If I was JJ i would leave 23 and start again

no problemo
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

In an article on the AFL site, Damien Hardwick was quite rightly defending the Suns academy, against the carping of its largely Victorian critics. However, I did find this quote mildly amusing.

"The investment is incredible, the amount of time and effort put into it. To be honest, it caught me by surprise how much work goes into it."

Mildly amusing, because I think it's a bit of hint, into how little work the Victorian clubs put into their NGAs.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Touché inded deja'
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.