Page 318 of 325 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322 ... LastLast
Results 3,805 to 3,816 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In an article on the AFL site, Damien Hardwick was quite rightly defending the Suns academy, against the carping of its largely Victorian critics. However, I did find this quote mildly amusing.

"The investment is incredible, the amount of time and effort put into it. To be honest, it caught me by surprise how much work goes into it."

Mildly amusing, because I think it's a bit of hint, into how little work the Victorian clubs put into their NGAs.
    It’s amazing how much they get it when outside Vic. Remember, when Eddie was in Sydney trying to run Ch9, he said he understood why we had COLA. It was only when he got sent packing for being a dud (and apparently, some personal shenanigans) that he began his campaign of vengeance.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It’s amazing how much they get it when outside Vic. Remember, when Eddie was in Sydney trying to run Ch9, he said he understood why we had COLA. It was only when he got sent packing for being a dud (and apparently, some personal shenanigans) that he began his campaign of vengeance.
    Yes, he's one of the main proponents of the silly idea, that northern clubs will have an unlimited supply of future academy picks. Which tends to ignore the limitations on the number of players that can be taken, which were put in place when he was Collingwood president and would've been all over the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    In fairness the scholarship program for private school education is Australia wide and applies to all of the development programs including the academies in the Northern States.
    You need to remember 98%, or thereabouts, are simply not good enough to make it at the elite level, so at least they are given the best opportunity to prepare themselves for life after football.
    If you speak to some of the families involved most are very appreciative of the opportunity.
    There are other benefits including players going back to local clubs, and they, and the families generally remain long term fans which is particularly important in the northern states
    Could you give me a list of schools in NSW that give AFL Scholarships? The Schools comp in Sydney is rat@@@@. The good comps are the Junior Development clubs Like Concord Giants, Drumoyne Power, Leichhardt Cygnets etc. Not the Private Schools as the Independent Schools comp only had a trial run in 2022 according to AFL NSW. The new comp had 30 teams over 10 schools in 2023. I mean 30 teams over 10 schools is not going to produce many champions really. The Academy identifies the young talent that can go by it's pathways. What's more, the Independent schools in Sydney would not have someone like either Dermie or Matthew Lloyd coaching them. Lucky to get Brett from Bexley

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    In fairness the scholarship program for private school education is Australia wide and applies to all of the development programs including the academies in the Northern States.
    You need to remember 98%, or thereabouts, are simply not good enough to make it at the elite level, so at least they are given the best opportunity to prepare themselves for life after football.
    If you speak to some of the families involved most are very appreciative of the opportunity.
    There are other benefits including players going back to local clubs, and they, and the families generally remain long term fans which is particularly important in the northern states
    Could you give me a list of schools in NSW that give AFL Scholarships? The Schools comp in Sydney is rat@@@@. The good comps are the Junior Development clubs Like Concord Giants, Drumoyne Power, Leichhardt Cygnets etc. Not the Private Schools as the Independent Schools comp only had a trial run in 2022 according to AFL NSW. The new comp had 30 teams over 10 schools in 2023. I mean 30 teams over 10 schools is not going to produce many champions really. The Academy identifies the young talent that can go by it's pathways. What's more, the Independent schools in Sydney would not have someone like either Dermie or Matthew Lloyd coaching them. Lucky to get Brett from Bexley

Can we have a Preseason thread ? And is there any news ?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I think this will occur if Jordon doesn't specifically request the number. I made my guess on the assumption he will.

Giving Brett Kirk's old number to his son was an obvious choice. I will be surprised if the club did not do this.

The single-digit numbers 3 and 4 may be in demand. Grundy may choose 4, if he wants to have his old number from Collingwood. 3 is hard to tell. That's the number that I expect is most likely to be claimed by an established player. I gave it to Adams, for no particular reason.

I expect 12 will go to a midfielder next season. I'm guessing it goes to Cleary. I can see alternative scenarios such as Adams getting 12 and Cleary 3, but it's just my speculation.

39 is an interesting number. There is a recent pattern of that number going to a good defender. That was "Reg" Grundy's number, and Paddy McCartin's number as well. I expect that number to go to Hamling or Snell. I chose Snell in my previous post (with Hamling getting 33), but Snell could get 33 and Hamling could get 39 instead.

Green got 17 because it was the last low number left. 17 is a good number, it could have gone to anyone.

40, 41 and 45 are left over. This suggests some more shuffling may happen. Would Buller want a new number, perhaps 40?
    Agree with your reasoning. Very plausible.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I find it interesting how much Indhi Kirk and Caiden Cleary resemble each other. They look more alike than the Warners.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In an article on the AFL site, Damien Hardwick was quite rightly defending the Suns academy, against the carping of its largely Victorian critics. However, I did find this quote mildly amusing.

"The investment is incredible, the amount of time and effort put into it. To be honest, it caught me by surprise how much work goes into it."

Mildly amusing, because I think it's a bit of hint, into how little work the Victorian clubs put into their NGAs.
    " To be honest, it caught me by surprise how much work goes into it."

In other words -"I was previously happy to slag the northern academies off without actually having any idea what I was talking about, or any inclination to find out. And it turns out these academies are actually real academies putting in genuine development effort, instead of shams like the NGAs where frankly we put bugger all effort in."

Says a lot about the way the Vic power clubs approach this issue.
    Last edited by Velour&Ruffles; 28th November 2023 at 09:16 PM.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    There is an article in the Age saying that "The AFL will overhaul the national draft to force clubs to pay a fairer market rate to secure father-son or academy players."

This is just an exercise by the big vic clubs to assert power over the new AFL administration.
    Hopefully they won't buckle. Norf's priority picks were the biggest cause of any problems.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This is just an exercise by the big vic clubs to assert power over the new AFL administration.
    Hopefully they won't buckle. Norf's priority picks were the biggest cause of any problems.
    It's pretty clear they'll cave, as they always do when the big clubs in Vic squeal.

There's another change the AFL is pushing through that's arguably just as bad. They're going to extend the salary pay out for sacked coaches from six to 12 months, lower the luxury tax rate on clubs exceeding the football department soft cap, and allow 20 percent of a coaches salary to sit outside that cap.

Who does that help - clubs with smaller profits and tighter margins (ie: northern state clubs, or small Vic clubs on the drip like Norf and St Kilda), or big powerful clubs who can afford to spray away (ie: Pies, Tigers, Carlton and West Coast)? Just a farce.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    There is an article in the Age saying that "The AFL will overhaul the national draft to force clubs to pay a fairer market rate to secure father-son or academy players."
    I've been hearing suggestions to change the draft points system so that clubs can't easily match 1st round bids with host of back end draft picks.

.Collingwood's F/S Nick Daicos & GC Academy picks this year, has been used as examples where this has been exploited. Clubs trading out their early picks beforehand.

Idea is for clubs having to use higher pick to match bid, preferably a pick from the same round where the bid is made.

Whatever tweaks AFL decide to do, it MUST give Academy matching bids preference over F/S,
    simply because of the amount of time & money invested in them compared to F/S which are a gift.

It is imperative the Northern Academies remain viable, as they are introducing ADDITIONAL talent to the draft pool & are to be the ever increasing lifeblood of the Northern States to be competitive.

I think there has been a gross overreaction to the GC 4 x Academy picks, which has been taken out of context overall considering its short history.

Agree with Barry, North's compensation picks had the compromised the draft more than the GC Academy picks. Wouldn't have drawn as much attention without North's compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I've been hearing suggestions to change the draft points system so that clubs can't easily match 1st round bids with host of back end draft picks.

.Collingwood's F/S Nick Daicos & GC Academy picks this year, has been used as examples where this has been exploited. Clubs trading out their early picks beforehand.

Idea is for clubs having to use higher pick to match bid, preferably a pick from the same round where the bid is made.

Whatever tweaks AFL decide to do, it MUST give Academy matching bids preference over F/S,
    simply because of the amount of time & money invested in them compared to F/S which are a gift.

It is imperative the Northern Academies remain viable, as they are introducing ADDITIONAL talent to the draft pool & are to be the ever increasing lifeblood of the Northern States to be competitive.

I think there has been a gross overreaction to the GC 4 x Academy picks, which has been taken out of context overall considering its short history.

Agree with Barry, North's compensation picks had the compromised the draft more than the GC Academy picks. Wouldn't have drawn as much attention without North's compensation.
    Agree with all that, so I'll just add a couple of things about the so called "junk picks". Firstly, they're not actually junk picks, in that you can often land very good players with picks in the range of 35 to 70. It's just that the chances are a little bit better with earlier picks. Hell, there's even been many stars who've come off the rookie list. There also seems to be the strange idea that the "junk picks" somehow appear out of nowhere. When in actual fact, they are usually the result of higher picks in past or future drafts being traded, or a present player being traded out. So, it's really just a case of a club giving up something at one point in time, in order to receive a benefit at another point in time.

And of course, the opposite argument never seems to be made. That is, that there's something dodgy, about a Victorian club trading lower picks to a northern club who wants match an academy bid, and therefore converting "junk picks" into a higher ranked draft prospect.