Page 319 of 325 FirstFirst ... 219269309315316317318319320321322323 ... LastLast
Results 3,817 to 3,828 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It's pretty clear they'll cave, as they always do when the big clubs in Vic squeal.

There's another change the AFL is pushing through that's arguably just as bad. They're going to extend the salary pay out for sacked coaches from six to 12 months, lower the luxury tax rate on clubs exceeding the football department soft cap, and allow 20 percent of a coaches salary to sit outside that cap.

Who does that help - clubs with smaller profits and tighter margins (ie: northern state clubs, or small Vic clubs on the drip like Norf and St Kilda), or big powerful clubs who can afford to spray away (ie: Pies, Tigers, Carlton and West Coast)? Just a farce.
    I learned a new word today. It's pathocracy. Which is, government by people with pathological personality disorders: such as narcissism and psychopathy. I do wonder if there's a bit of that in AFL administration?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    There's always an overreaction by certain Victorian clubs whenever non-Victorian clubs recruit good players.

After complaints to the AFL, Sydney got slapped with a controversial trade ban because they signed a couple of players other clubs wanted despite breaking no rules. Now some Victorian clubs are complaining because Gold Coast reaped one harvest of Academy players they had been nurturing for years at their own expense.

It must pain these Victorian clubs that Gold Coast have recruited some quality youngsters that the Victorian clubs can't poach.

These clubs forget that Gold Coast's draft picks are a finite resource. They can't recruit like this every year. They spent a few years trading into future drafts, just so they could recruit the players this year. Gold Coast's draft hand was also gimped by an AFL rule where the number of picks in a draft has to correspond to list vacancies - another recent rule introduced at the behest of certain clubs wanting to gimp the Academies. Gold Coast lost some points-bearing draft picks this year due to that rule. Never mind that these same Victorian clubs had been poaching players off the Gold Coast and GWS for years.

Meanwhile, the free agency rort hasn't been discussed. Why? The Victorian clubs are the biggest beneficiaries. Essendon got two players this year by free agency for no cost other than salary cap. The compensation draft picks were worth almost as much as pick 1 and Essendon contributed nothing for those picks. Yes, Sydney also got two free agents this year, but the compensation draft picks were worth a lot less (about pick 39).

So if rule changes are needed, free agency must also be included. The compensation picks have to go. Instead, make free agency operate by similar rules to the northern Academies. Free agent goes to the draft, origin club cannot bid on free agent. When the player is bid on, destination club gives up draft picks to get the player and the origin club for the player gets the next draft pick as compensation. This is not my idea, but I forget who originally suggest this so I can't give proper credit.

Another rule change that must be made is how clubs can "walk" uncontracted players from other clubs to the PSD and get them for nothing. I would scrap the PSD entirely. Such players should go through the draft, and risk being drafted by anyone. This creates more incentive for clubs to make fair trade offers.

The rookie list should be changed a bit. Veteran players really aren't rookies. Easiest way is to bring back the veterans' list under the same rules as the rookie list, or just rename the rookie list. Functionally there would be no change, just a clarification of function. I would call it the "rookie and veteran list", no other change needed.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It's actually nuts that they apply equal rules to father-son and northern academy picks. The latter involves a substantial investment of money, time and other resources - and needs the incentive of a reward. The second involves the dumb luck of a kid with talent having had parents that had a root at a certain time that coincided with the father playing footy.

I'm not opposed to some rules about how many/which picks can be used; but the argument about junk picks ignores the fact other clubs saw the value to trade up and get elite talent, so were beneficiaries of the scheme.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    It's actually nuts that they apply equal rules to father-son and northern academy picks. The latter involves a substantial investment of money, time and other resources - and needs the incentive of a reward. The second involves the dumb luck of a kid with talent having had parents that had a root at a certain time that coincided with the father playing footy.
    I think linking of the F/S and Northern Academy rules was brilliant tactics, in that it prevented the Victorians from crapping all over Northern development (again) because it would harm their own F/S pathway.
    That the two have become partially uncoupled is a serious problem for the northern states, any attempt to decouple them completely would be the thin end of the wedge.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I think linking of the F/S and Northern Academy rules was brilliant tactics, in that it prevented the Victorians from crapping all over Northern development (again) because it would harm their own F/S pathway.
    That the two have become partially uncoupled is a serious problem for the northern states, any attempt to decouple them completely would be the thin end of the wedge.
    Absolutely right.

Regular in the Side
    does anyone know what has happened to chris doerre Big footy and espn draft guru?

Warming the Bench
    For those into numbers ...the photo in the Age (piece on Brodie Grundy) has him having locker 4 and Taylor Adams locker 3

Veterans List
    It’s amazing how much they get it when outside Vic. Remember, when Eddie was in Sydney trying to run Ch9, he said he understood why we had COLA. It was only when he got sent packing for being a dud (and apparently, some personal shenanigans) that he began his campaign of vengeance.
    Heard an interesting exchange with Stevie J on one of those "here's how to lose your money betting" shows - the host had a dig at SJ coming to Sydney in his twilight years to collect big $. Johnson effectively said he lost money given the increased costs - I imagine that's the reality for lots of players. Grundy effectively took a 10-15% pay cut coming up here on the same package (perhaps more when you consider Adelaide was the primary alternative).

Quote Originally Posted by Syd76 View Post
    For those into numbers ...the photo in the Age (piece on Brodie Grundy) has him having locker 4 and Taylor Adams locker 3
    Yeah saw that. It's what I expected. Be nice if Kirk Jr gets the 31 as well.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I learned a new word today. It's pathocracy. Which is, government by people with pathological personality disorders: such as narcissism and psychopathy. I do wonder if there's a bit of that in AFL administration?
    A bit of it? I'd say there's a lot of it. The gene is well & truly in Gil's family. Have a look at the family history. Squatocracy

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    does anyone know what has happened to chris doerre Big footy and espn draft guru?
    Decided to give it away after the 2022 ND. Might be because he kept banging on about mature ager Casey Voss being a top 15 pick, he never got drafted in any draft and is still in the SANFL. Doerre's credibility was severely damaged by that wrong call.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Heard an interesting exchange with Stevie J on one of those "here's how to lose your money betting" shows - the host had a dig at SJ coming to Sydney in his twilight years to collect big $. Johnson effectively said he lost money given the increased costs - I imagine that's the reality for lots of players. Grundy effectively took a 10-15% pay cut coming up here on the same package (perhaps more when you consider Adelaide was the primary alternative).
    Grundy is probably getting a subsidised rental in Bondi whilst renting out 4 properties in Melbourne.

He will be fine