Page 198 of 325 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298 ... LastLast
Results 2,365 to 2,376 of 3893

Thread: 2023 List Management

Could the club look at re-signing Sam Reid and playing him as an intercepting defender or if they don't re-sing him, even look at playing McLean as a defender?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Could the club look at re-signing Sam Reid and playing him as an intercepting defender or if they don't re-sing him, even look at playing McLean as a defender?
    If he has regained fitness, Sammy will be re-signed for 1 year. Great value down back as he has shown and can then be swung forward or in the ruck if needed. May not get a full season but when fit just about our best big man! Love Sammy except when kicking for goal- I usually look away!

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Personally I think, McLean is too slow for KPD. He is more suited to a pack marking player and back up ruck. Plus he is more accurate kick for goal than Joel

Rather see Amartey developed into a KPD, he is quick, reads the play and can take a good mark.

That would give a forward six of:

McDonald, McLean, Heeney, Papley, Parker and Wicks (or whoever we can develop as pressure forward)
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Reserves highlights!
    I was also tying to find the reserves high lights of McInerney, BJ and Wicks when they had to go back for significant periods and relearn their trade before getting back into the Snr team - not immune either our young swans

But I couldn’t find any 😂

At least Melbourne FC video highlight there emerging important players in the VFL 😆

Mate I totally get it. We want better but we have a budget, trade challenges Re picks and limitations on who actually wants to come to Sydney.

Our 3 boys mentioned above never had a straight line in their development. Back and forth Snrs and ressies

McInerney 72 games over 5 seasons
    Jordon 65 games over 5 seasons
    Wicks 50 games over 4 seasons
    BJ 48 games over 3 seasons

I think we could make a pretty strong argument that Melbourne have been a red hot team last 4 years to break into as a midfielder or HBF

Like very hard and in amongst this era Jordon still achieved 65 games

No he might not be an answer for us not I’m sure we are looking at similar value players to fill some of our gaps in the midfield / HBF and contested footy

Yes on both players. I think that's the way to go if we don't get McKay, which looks to be the case now.

The reason I prefer McLean to Amartey for a switch to defence is that McLean has a big tank, while Amartey struggles to play out games well. Key forwards these days could run Amartey off his legs late in games. In any case, Amartey will have to improve his aerobic capacity to become more effective in the 2nd halves of games.

I'm just as bewildered by the discussion on Jordan as I was with the Matt Crouch recruitment chatter. The question remains: Where do they fit in the side? Who do they replace? We still need to find a spot for Sheldrick in the side that just played finals. Roberts, Corey Warner and HHK will all be looking to break into a young side with player still on the improve. We will also add Cleary to our list of inside mids. Do we really need more competition for midfield spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes on both players. I think that's the way to go if we don't get McKay, which looks to be the case now.

The reason I prefer McLean to Amartey for a switch to defence is that McLean has a big tank, while Amartey struggles to play out games well. Key forwards these days could run Amartey off his legs late in games. In any case, Amartey will have to improve his aerobic capacity to become more effective in the 2nd halves of games.

I'm just as bewildered by the discussion on Jordan as I was with the Matt Crouch recruitment chatter. The question remains: Where do they fit in the side? Who do they replace? We still need to find a spot for Sheldrick in the side that just played finals. Roberts, Corey Warner and HHK will all be looking to break into a young side with player still on the improve. We will also add Cleary to our list of inside mids. Do we really need more competition for midfield spots?
    Agree there are a few id play ahead of Jordan, he is depth that we dont need.

If we have to trade in a two x ACL reco player Doedee that concerns me

The likely hood of a 3rd and final is high

We have lived this with AJ and Crayfish 🦞

https://houseoffooty.com.au/could-sw...jM0B-4pl_2j1v4
    Fingers crossed we can find a good trade for Wayward with an Adelaide club. He’s been given more than enough chances and has gone backwards this year. I just hate having to deal with the Crows.
    Last edited by cruiser; 21st September 2023 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Luddy I agree and disagree.

A rationale of who does he replace is not about best 22 it is about best 28 minimum to get through a season successfully. Imagine if we had a few mores wins with a little more experience this season from our best 28 or so.

Roberts, HHK and Corey Warner need atleast another season in ressies from what I have observed vs the level they need to play at in the AFL

Jordan Dawson games played first 3 years
    2016 zero
    2017 one
    2018 four

Case in point
    He Is turning out a gun…..but had to millimeter by millimeter find his impact and out put that matches what the Snrs AFL team needed.

We can not predict the development pathway easily at all of youth. Either way.

HHK will be lucky to play a game in 2024 and it will be a tagging run with defensive role as we do at the swans to ease in on the big stage. He won’t be free running like a 60 game plus AFL player.

Same with Roberts and Corey Warner

I’m not confident in what I have seen. I have not certainty they will play than the 65 games like Jordon in his first 5 seasons……that is a massive gamble to say they will.

So right now we have a big gap that exists between our youthful Snr best 22 and the next layer of depth that can easily slot in and keep the links in the chain just right and not risky in an AFL competition.

If Stephen’s has been offered a contract and we want to keep this midfielder turning 23yrs old with 40 or so games? Why if the rest of the depth u mentioned is so obvious to succeed? Why wouldn’t we bridge the gap and sure up our best 22 competitiveness with another 60 game player we feel has immediate transition ability and or will minimise mistakes errors that hurt us like a 1 game or 10 game player does?

We would never had offered the NON best regular 22 player Dylan Stephen’s a contract if we didn’t feel we needed depth and a 40 gamer mid minimum

That is not for debate……KB said we have had the contract on the table for most of the year yet he doesn’t fit your rationale because he doesn’t fit in the best 22?

The best 22 is really the best 28 minimum, so it is not a matter of fitting in the best 22 and who do they replace.

A season and injuries beaks the best 22 almost every week hence depth and reliable near certain depth of a 60 gamer vs Roberts few games etc

It doesn’t have to be Jordon

The player just needs to help our best 28 with more experience and more immediate help on game day plus if KB thinks they upside to play a more significant role or position……all the better

Just a few thoughts…….

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think the best 28 approach is a good measure, so I get that. You probably really need 30-32, to be honest - but point taken.

I also think the development of young players is never linear, so I get that. I've been vocal on here, for example, in saying the trajectory Campbell has been on is perfectly normal - even for a high draft pick. The Errols of this world are truly the exception.

But then I look at what is available of Jordan and am a bit underwhelmed. Is he going to add to the inside bull contingent? There's no evidence of it. Is he going to enhance our outside run? Doubt it, when that's an area where we are over-stocked if anything and he doesn't look quick. Could he play off half-back? Not with those footskills. And could he play a forward lockdown role? Dunno, but nothing suggests it.

Now maybe, as I said earlier, the recruitment team at the Swans have seen something of his performances at reserves level to think there's more to him - and as an URFA he is a free hit. But he appears a footballer that does a lot at 5 or 6 out of 10, rather than a couple of things at 8 or 9. And I do think in our list build as we move into our window, we need to keep finding points of difference in our playing group. Not everyone can be an Errol or a Chad or a Logan, but you don't want too many Ryan Clarke's either.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Now the CBA is seemingly signed off by the AFL , the ALPA and players, what is happening with the cap on the Football Departments, which includes the coaches, support staff etc? I didn't know where to post this so my apologies, but it is an important part of each team, having been cut by the AFL during COVID.

Interesting, I'm not sure how much this bulldust from Adelaide radio has truth in it. I have my own feelings about Hayward which others have expressed. I think he has reached his peak for us and seems to hold up play rather than give the ball off quickly . Adelaide don't have too many picks in the Draft - 9, 20 and 23- so their position is not too strong. Adelaide screwed us over for Dawson so maybe we exchange first picks - 9 and 11 - plus either one of 20 or 23. If Parker is going to play forward next season, maybe it opportune to trade Hayward!!!