Page 49 of 325 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 List Management

Opti-pessi-misti
    I hope Harrison is still over the moon after being selected by Sydney, when he finds himself now playing for the Swans VFL team which has yet to win a game!

What does a 6 month contract involve?

After relocating interstate, training for 4 months but needing to learn the "Swans System" and playing say 10 games in a currently winless team, both sides reassess?

OR, is it salary cap management?

I suspect if u are offered an AFL contract into the next season vs going back in the Players or mid season draft

Well u probably would say yes to move into 2024 as an AFL contracted player

Veterans List
    I like Buller's agility. A bit of an Aaron Naughton type. Looks like he moves around the forward line a lot and leads up well. Certainly no statue.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post

After relocating interstate, training for 4 months but needing to learn the "Swans System" and playing say 10 games in a currently winless team, both sides reassess?

Going purely by memory, but I believe the default contract length with the mid season draft is for the remainder of that season however players can nominate that they want an 18 month contract when they put their hand up for the draft (if they're concerned about having a bad time with the scenario you've mentioned).

List management wise, apart from the advantage of getting a closer look at them before committing longer, I imagine we would be restricted by the contracts of the chaps that were moved on to the inactive list as to whether we could offer more than 18 months (I think Sam's not contracted for next year, Paddy is). I have no idea if we retain first dibs signing rights at the end of the seson for players that are picked up.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post

It’s simply on the player , most would nominate 6 months just in the hope a club will take a chance on them . The ones that nominate 18 months would be pretty sure they have enough interest from clubs to be picked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    From my understanding re the six month contact.

We can extend the contract at any stage before the six months expires if there is a list spot available.

If we don’t, they would be delisted free agents that can be signed in the supplementary player selection period after the Rookie Draft.

At that point any club can sign them if they wanted to.

That’s my understanding.

Opti-pessi-misti
    On the Brisbane Lions website I just stumbled upon a recent and great article on Harrison Arnold. It is entitled Confidence from lessons outside the classroom the key for Mr Arnold. It can also be accessed directly from Google.

If he can adapt from playing in a VFL team which hasn't lost a game this season, in a backline which seems to play like a smoothly running machine, we have the perfect recruit. His acquisition, along with Buller at the other end, may make a huge difference in the development and fortunes of our VFL team. He could even get a run in our seniors if Melican was to falter.

On the Rookie List
    I like what our recruitment team has done here. Hopefully they get the opportunity to show what they can do over the next few months and have a long, successful career in red and white.

We should target Jacob Van Rooyen. Good size, can mark , beautiful kick and has a real go.
    And he wouldn’t break the bank at this point ( although his stock is rising )

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    We should target Jacob Van Rooyen. Good size, can mark , beautiful kick and has a real go.

Might cost a lot in picks though.

The Mongrel Punt had this (unpaywalled) to say about him:

“My jury is out as to how high his ceiling is, but … he has definitely shown enough for Demon fans to think that, as he fills out and gets even stronger, they’ve found their number one key forward going forward. And as we’ve seen, good ones are pretty damn hard to find.”

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2023/2023/06/03/melbourne-v-carlton-mongrel-talking-points/

I think it would take Tim Kelly type picks to prise him from the Demons who have struggled to find a #1 forward for an eternity.
    Last edited by Markwebbos; 3rd June 2023 at 06:07 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

We had our chance at the draft and missed it by selecting Angus Sheldrick with the pick before him