Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaches

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Coaches

The player development thread is going gangbusters at the moment, as you'd expect.
    It always reminds me of the footy card swap market that took place in primary school when I was a kid. I recall one year when I needed Stewie Gull to complete my Swans set and had to fork out 3 cards to get him.

But enough of such refelctions. There doesn't seem to be a thread for coaches which is odd, because
    a) Attracting the right assistants for Horse with such a young squad is a big deal, and
    b) The oft discussed difficulty in getting them to come to Sydney.

So 2 prvious assistants are now on the market
    Dew is no longer at GC and Clarkson has shed Blakey from North MSN
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think there is value in the club doing a forensic look at what’s needed. I’m sure we’re a professional enough club to do it naturally at the end of each year, but I think there was enough in this year to at least stress test the status quo. It could be as simple as flipping round who looks after which section of the field (cough, cough, centre square set up) - or it could be something more substantial (ie: does McVeigh need to spend a couple of years in another system if he has senior coaching aspirations?).

There is the constraint of our ability to get good people on the post COVID assistant salaries, in such an expensive city.

I suspect Longmire does a better job of having his assistants challenge him than some here suspect. You simply don’t survive long enough otherwise. But fresh thoughts in the coaching set up will always have some value.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I wondered about Blakey, not sure if the club have moved on or not?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

I suspect Longmire does a better job of having his assistants challenge him than some here suspect. You simply don’t survive long enough otherwise. But fresh thoughts in the coaching set up will always have some value.
    Word is that Longmire and Dew didn't get along at the end due to differing footballing philosophies

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Good comment.
    I think it is evident that Longmire has a good rapport with his assistant coaches that allows him to coach from the bench relying heavily on the coaches in the box to keep him informed. It is interesting to note that many clubs are following the Longmire move.
    Your comments on McVeigh are interesting, I think he has done an excellent job with the defence this season, sometimes under difficult circumstances with the injuries particularly early in the season

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Your comments on McVeigh are interesting, I think he has done an excellent job with the defence this season, sometimes under difficult circumstances with the injuries particularly early in the season
    McVeigh is currently the forward line coach. Ben Mathews is the defence coach.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Good comment.
    I think it is evident that Longmire has a good rapport with his assistant coaches that allows him to coach from the bench relying heavily on the coaches in the box to keep him informed. It is interesting to note that many clubs are following the Longmire move.
    The role of head coach has been evolving for a long time, from tactician to manager - I think Roos was at it before Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I wondered about Blakey, not sure if the club have moved on or not?
    I wonder if a Blakey coaching a Blakey would be a conflict of interest?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 13th September 2023 at 05:58 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    My apologies Liz, you are correct.
    I was thinking of a recent discussion I had with McVeigh, and we were talking about the defence in general and he was saying how Melican had surprised a few at club with his form prior to his recent hamstring injury.
    I will correct myself Ben Matthews has done a great job given the circumstances

It's healthy to have a refresh of coaches by JL to ensure the Swans are maximising the player potential both from the training, playing and tactical point of view. We are always behind the 8 ball to attract talent because of the Sydney cost of living. McVeigh senior has done a great job with the Academy and the Allies. Wonder whether JL would recruit him over to the senior team?

I just read on SEN that Don Pyke is showing interest in becoming West Coast's next CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    The player development thread is going gangbusters at the moment, as you'd expect.
    It always reminds me of the footy card swap market that took place in primary school when I was a kid. I recall one year when I needed Stewie Gull to complete my Swans set and had to fork out 3 cards to get him.

But enough of such refelctions. There doesn't seem to be a thread for coaches which is odd, because
    a) Attracting the right assistants for Horse with such a young squad is a big deal, and
    b) The oft discussed difficulty in getting them to come to Sydney.

So 2 prvious assistants are now on the market
    Dew is no longer at GC and Clarkson has shed Blakey from North MSN
    Why go backward? Don't we need assistants with new ideas? Not old? I do not think the Horse/Blakey mix was good for our club. It worked for a while but it was obvious when Blakey left it was no longer working. They were far too close as friends and therefore not able to be truthful about stuff that just was not working.

As for Stewie. He has not proved a huge success. His game plan was far too defensive with the players at his disposal. I think we need coaches who live in the future not the past.

We can attract assistants if Horse is willing to change too. But it is his inflexibility that may turn potentially great assistants off. ex players on the football shows have as a group expressed doubts about the way we play. They have pointed to gaping holes in our playing style. From lack of clearances, to lack of contested possession. They have pointed out that we do not play a style that wins premierships. Maybe the coaches need to address that first and foremost. We have some of the best ball users in the AFL & we waste them by kicking long to a contest at least 50% of the time. Our leading patterns are obvious and we send too many players to the one area, instead of spreading. This is basic game plan stuff and the Head Coach is in charge of that.

Oh and we need some fitness people who can keep our players fit

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    McVeigh is currently the forward line coach. Ben Mathews is the defence coach.
    Yes and the forward line is one that is under performing due to leading patterns. They all run to the same spot then the ball gets delivered long to a pack. our forwards fight each other for pack marks and their opponents take the ball away. I think if our set ups were good enough we would have kicked some humongous scores but we did not. Because the talls are instructed to stay in the same area and pack mark.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast