Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Swans chat 2023

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    This is lovely - a couple of seats permanently named after Kenny and Yvonne Williams

A tribute to Kenny
    Just saw this on youtube.....great stuff, great tribute! We miss ya Kenny!

Although I think a statue might be going a little overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Just saw this on youtube.....great stuff, great tribute! We miss ya Kenny!

Although I think a statue might be going a little overboard.
    Why precisely?

Kenny was as much a fixture at the SCG as Yabba was at the cricket/league at the venue who has one at the other end in the seating concourse. As big a character and part of the story of the ground and its sports as Yabba was in earlier days on the hill.

Would be a nice balance between all major sports over the years at the ground.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Why precisely?

Kenny was as much a fixture at the SCG as Yabba was at the cricket/league at the venue who has one at the other end in the seating concourse. As big a character and part of the story of the ground and its sports as Yabba was in earlier days on the hill.

Would be a nice balance between all major sports over the years at the ground.
    Err, are there even any player statues? In Sydney, no. Bob Skilton has one in Melbourne. As I said.....a little overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Err, are there even any player statues? In Sydney, no. Bob Skilton has one in Melbourne. As I said.....a little overboard.
    There is a statue of Paul Roos at the SCG - perhaps go check it out some time.

Otherwise, the AFL legacy at the SCG is vastly under-represented at the current time. It is no more overboard then having a random statue at the other end of the ground for a random barracker from the hill, which is exactly what they have.

But hey, you know better so whatever you say - desperate as always to have the final word.
    Last edited by mcs; 6th April 2023 at 10:58 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List

Otherwise, the AFL legacy at the SCG is vastly under-represented at the current time. It is no more overboard then having a random statue at the other end of the ground for a random barracker from the hill, which is exactly what they have.

But hey, you know better so whatever you say - desperate as always to have the final word.
    Woah, settle down mate. "Desperate as always to have the last word"....where's TF is that coming from? Sheese.

Just to placate you.....here's the last word. We all love Kenny but he's next in line to Roosy??
    Last edited by stevoswan; 6th April 2023 at 11:13 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    There’s a Kelly statue outside the ground too - just by the entrance to the Basil Sellers Centre.

I hope the Swans are pushing hard for a Goodes statue sometime (very) soon.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There’s a Kelly statue outside the ground too - just by the entrance to the Basil Sellers Centre.

Far out, how can I forget that one Liz. Walk past it every home game I go to (insert facepalm emoji here!).

Yes I do hope too Goodes will soon be added!

General Swans chat 2023

Yanba was hardly “a random barracker’. Also he is/was most associated with cricket (and it is the Sydney Cricket Ground).

General Swans chat 2023

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I’d much prefer they rename the Brewongle Stand as the Adam Goodes Stand. If the stand is to be refurbished that would be an ideal time to do this.

This would be more prominent to everyone who goes to the SCG than a statue which would only be ‘seen’ by those who walk past.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I’d much prefer they rename the Brewongle Stand as the Adam Goodes Stand. If the stand is to be refurbished that would be an ideal time to do this.

This would be more prominent to everyone who goes to the SCG than a statue which would only be ‘seen’ by those who walk past.
    Totally! Especially since, according to this 2011 SMH article, the Brewongle Stand was named after a tea room which was in turn named by daughters of a wealthy grazier with a large property outside Brewongle, NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yanba was hardly “a random barracker’. Also he is/was most associated with cricket (and it is the Sydney Cricket Ground).
    That comment wasn't to disparage his role or association with the ground - just to make the point that he didn't have a direct relationship as a player, coach or administrator - he is after all famous primarily for being a well known member of the crowd.

I noted his association with cricket in an earlier comment above.

His association was also pretty strong with league by all reports as well, which makes sense given it was quite important to the ground in that era too (like AFL is now).

Sent from my CPH2307 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mcs; 7th April 2023 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Totally! Especially since, according to this 2011 SMH article, the Brewongle Stand was named after a tea room which was in turn named by daughters of a wealthy grazier with a large property outside Brewongle, NSW!
    Thanks for the link - had not read that before. I had often wondered where that name came from, as it does feel a little out of place - but it has an interesting story of its own .

Sent from my CPH2307 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast