Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: General Swans chat 2023

Veterans List
    Not quite sure where to post this or whether it's been covered elsewhere but one of the few good things I took from the night of the Port disaster was the announcement from the club that it won't be accepting sponsorship from sports betting companies anymore. Delighted to see the club take this stance - seem to recall North M may have taken a similar position?

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Not quite sure where to post this or whether it's been covered elsewhere but one of the few good things I took from the night of the Port disaster was the announcement from the club that it won't be accepting sponsorship from sports betting companies anymore. Delighted to see the club take this stance - seem to recall North M may have taken a similar position?
    That excellent arrangement has been in place for at least a season, maybe even couple of years now - I think that announcement was an extension of the deal

The clubs will likely wean themselves off it over time, but goodness knows when the AFL will. It won't even publicly admit how much it gets out of product fees from gambling on AFL.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

There's an update to the injury status: Injury Update: Amartey recovery timeline revealed (sydneyswans.com.au). Looks like Hickey won't travel to Geelong. Both McCartins definitely out. Rampe and Buddy doubtful. Reid is a long way off. Melican is not yet in contention. No comments about Francis or Heeney or Gould (for which, I suppose, we can give thanks - either that or curses if it turns out they're injured).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Yeah, but now the club has announced that Bitcoin.com.au is a "club partner". Can someone explain how "investing"
    in crypto currencies is not gambling?. Classy.

Blog Entries
    I mean all investing is a form of gambling so it is pretty much the same
    Last edited by Unwell_Miguel; 19th April 2023 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo

Yes, KT, a day after a report was released that stated Australians lost $3.1 billion to scams last year, the club shamelessly announces a commercial partnership with a crypto exchange. And I'm not sure what might be worse? That management are possibly unaware that crypto is a scam, or that they realise that it's dodgy and decided to allow it to be flogged to the members anyway?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I share your concern ...
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

If we win the next 3 games in a row we will be 6 wins 4 losses

The same as last year at the end of round 10

Pies
    Freeo
    North

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Pies
    Freeo
    North
    I’m an optimist, but not holding my breath Auntie. We need more consistency and not miss so many chances, especially against the Pies. We lost by 2 points against Port and by 1 point now so maybe a draw is next against the Pies? I would take that and then maybe we can beat Freo and North, but I’m not super confident at this stage.

On FC last night it was highlighted there are no games in Sydney this weekend, both AFL & NRL. NRL has their magic round in Brisbane. Giants playing in Canberra & us at the MCG. It was looked upon as a missed opportunity by the AFL with their fixturing to take advantage of the opportunity. Suggesting both Giants & us play home games in Sydney on Saturday afternoon & evening.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On FC last night it was highlighted there are no games in Sydney this weekend, both AFL & NRL. NRL has their magic round in Brisbane. Giants playing in Canberra & us at the MCG. It was looked upon as a missed opportunity by the AFL with their fixturing to take advantage of the opportunity. Suggesting both Giants & us play home games in Sydney on Saturday afternoon & evening.
    With all resources at their disposal, just shows how thick the AFL hierarchy is, with no games in Sydney this week. As Horse said, 1/3 of the country is located in NSW and only 1% play AFL!

The Northern States really need to be looked after so much better- all very well giving Tassie a licence but look after where most people live first and foremost. Not too much to expect, surely!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast