Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: General Swans chat 2023

General Swans chat 2023

I wasn't sure where to put this so thought I could start a new thread.

I came across this definition of 'swan' today and thought it was worth sharing:

MEANING:
    [TR]

[TD]noun:
    [/TD]
    [TD]1. Any of various long-necked large waterbirds, usually in white plumage.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]2. Someone or something of unusual beauty, grace, purity, etc.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]verb intr.:
    [/TD]
    [TD]1. To move about in an idle, aimless way.
    2. To declare or to swear.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]

ETYMOLOGY:
    For verb 2: From shortening of “I shall warrant” or “I swear on”.
    For the rest: From Old English swan. Ultimately from the Indo-European root swen- (to sound), which also gave us sound, sonic, sonnet, sonata, and unison.
    Earliest documented use: for noun: 700; for verb 1: 1893; for verb 2: 1823.

More meanings there than I was aware of. Although I was aware swans are regarded as graceful, I wasn't really aware of the second meaning and it works nicely for us. Not so sure about the third meaning. I like the passion of the 4th meaning too: "I swan we're gonna give the flag a red hot crack this season!"
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    I have been off work for awhile now, recovering post surgery (around Xmas) and have been doing a lot of 'swanning' around. In fact, I have made swanning around an artform!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I have been off work for awhile now, recovering post surgery (around Xmas) and have been doing a lot of 'swanning' around. In fact, I have made swanning around an artform!
    I hope the recovery is going well.

Veteran Site Admin
    Please provide a source for anything you copy from elsewhere.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I hope the recovery is going well.
    It is thanks deja....slow at first but good now. I return to work in less than two weeks *sigh*.

Senior Player
    Article today from news.com.au on the captains’ predictions of other teams.

All but one think we will make the top eight again this year.

Only one other captain chose us as a team to make the Grand Final (8 votes for Geelong, 4 for Brisbane, 4 for Melbourne) and 1 each for Richmond and us.

A single captain picked Mills for the Brownlow.

Clarkson snubbed by AFL club captains

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Clarkson snubbed by AFL club captains
    This is some weired Newscorp meaning of the word "snubbed" - to save all here the bother of boosting the Hun's click count, the gist was, none of the captains thought North would make the finals this year. Earth shaking news.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Is it possible to change the header picture to highlight a couple of the up and comers :-)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Is it possible to change the header picture to highlight a couple of the up and comers :-)
    Yes, at the moment we have two worthy legends but one's retired and the other, about to. Maybe time for an update. Not sure about 'up and comers' though....maybe a couple of academy stars, Mills and Heens! The young guys time will come.

Senior Player
    Why not have a rotating header image? Either a library of headers with different players that are randomly loaded each time you log in, or admins manually change to a new one each month/two months.

Be a nice surprise to see some old faces (Michael O for example) now and then too.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    If anyone wants to design a new banner I am sure it would be seriously considered, although, the final decision would obviously rest with the site owner.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Heard Gerard Healy on SEN last night describe how he was completely blown away by the new Training Facility at Royal Hall, after being given a tour. He has no doubt it will attract players to the club as the facilities are second to none in the competition. Kane Cornes was also sold after Gerard described the facilities in detail.

What struck me is just how much of a public entertainment venue this will also provide, with rooftop garden bar amongst other public bars scattered around the complex. Plan to attract big number of patrons on game day utilising the surrounding grounds, instead of watching at local pubs/clubs, providing further revenue. Has anyone had the opportunity to tour the complex as yet?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast