Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFLW list management 2023

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I think the wans announcement may be incorrect, Bridie played only 12 AFLW games with us, but 4 with the blues before being delisted by them and coming north.
    But at only 24, the announcement could well be right and she may get a third chance.

Her auto-delisting means that I believe we now have 2 list spots available, presumably for picks, #15 and #30.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 14th December 2023 at 06:15 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Bridie played only 12 AFLW games with us, but 4 with the blues before being delisted by them and coming north.
    At only 24 she may get a third chance.

However her auto-delisting means that I believe we now have 2 list spots available, presumably for picks, #15 and #30.
    I was in the complicated process of multi-quoting a couple of posts, including an earlier one of yours, when I saw you'd just posted this.

I believe you are correct re list spots. We had the required two spots available at the start of the trade period, and now we are two-on, two-off.

I wonder if Kennedy was in line to be delisted by the club and decided to do it herself. Or maybe they were tossing up between a few to delist to clear the spot required and she volunteered to save someone else. Or maybe she was already committed to moving back to Melbourne and the club was trying to find a trade for her to another club but none eventuated. All possible.

It's also still possible that the club delists another player (or two) if they want to take more at the draft or if there is a delisted free agent they have their eye on. Like a back-up ruck.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    My heart missed a beat or two reading that headline without the benefit of the photograph accompanying the headline on the Swans' site.

It's sad to see any player depart, but I'd have been morose to read that Tanya was leaving us.

A back up ruck would be good. Giselle has done some relief ruck, and is the same height as LexieH - but I think we need a genuine backup ruckup, rather than a relief ruck.

I took a look at the Kevin Sheehan's top 30 prospects in the 2023 AFLW Draft but no-one over 181cm there.
    So if we do draft a ruck, it'd be a surprise.

A DFA is a possibility, but who to let go?
    And for whom? Delisted free agents: All the players hoping for a lifeline this week Erin McKinnon's been delisted by the Saints and was from Sydney, but do we want a ruck that really only contributes hitouts?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 17th December 2023 at 10:03 AM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My heart missed a beat or two reading that headline without the benefit of the photograph accompanying the headline on the Swans' site.

It's sad to see any player depart, but I'd have been morose to read that Tanya was leaving us.
    Same here! I thought Oh No!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Apologies. I too would have been disappointed if it was Tanya.

Swans too clever by half - AFL re-stacks the deck?

In the previous full AFLW draft, prospective draftees could nominate to go anywhere, or specify the State draft pool to which they would accept being drafted.
    Victorians Montana Ham and Sofia Hurley surprised some by nominating NSW.
    This year prospective draftees could only nominate to go anywhere, or specify their home State draft pool - thus closing that loophole.
    It's not up to the scale of cancelling COLA, but does it not look like once again, the AFL don't like the way we complied with their rules - and so changed them?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 15th December 2023 at 03:25 AM.

Veteran Site Admin
    There was, I gather, much angst amongst the Victorian clubs when Rowbottom and Ham were, in successive years, "lost" to the Melbourne clubs. Of course, this rule change wouldn't have kept either Rowbottom or Ham in Melbourne had they wanted to go to Gold Coast or Sydney respectively. The Suns and Swans had the first picks in the draft so all they had to do was promise the two that they would be picked first and get them to nominate for the National pool. It would, however, have stymied the Swans' chances of drafting Hurley.

Most of all it seems a little unfair on the women. Unlike their male counterparts, who are drafted into a full-time job and paid pretty decently (for an 18 year old) right from the start, the women have to think about the rest of their lives too. Careers, study options. At least part of the reason that Ham and Hurley chose Sydney was that there were courses at Sydney universities that they wanted to do. Ham is studying something in the sports science field and maybe there are lots of equivalent courses at universities everywhere. Hurley, too, could probably be studying architecture elsewhere but I'm sure I've read somewhere (but now can't find the article) that there was something about the course that she's enrolled in that was particularly attractive to her. The fact we don't have a national draft recognises that part-time players can't be expected to organise their life locations purely around footy, but it seems unfair that they then can't choose where in the country they want to live / work / study. It's either home or no choice.

Veteran Site Admin
    Further to my post above, I have found this article confirming that, for Ham, it was partly a university choice.

AFLW news 2022: AFL Women’s Draft, top prospects, Montana Ham, Sofia Hurley, nominate New South Wales, Sydney Swans

Veteran Site Admin
    So now the club has announced a list of eight players who have recommitted to the club for 2024. I guess it is normal for the AFLW that most players are on year-to-year contracts.

The eight players confirmed are Privitelli, the Irish trio, Mitchell, Woodward, Heads and Beruldsen.

But that still means a fair proportion of the squad from last year is yet to be locked in. Presumably they're not all about to leave, and the club is gradually working its way down the list offering contracts as it sees fit. But as far as I know, none of these players were already signed on a multi-year contract and so have their futures still to be determined:

- Szigeti
    - Steane
    - Smith
    - Lexi Hamilton
    - Whelan
    - Sargent-Wilson
    - Sheppard
    - Vale
    - Bullas
    - Collier
    - Lochland

It is possible some had already extended. Lochland, for example, might have come to the club on a multi-year contract given her status as a past premiership player.

But the length of the list suggests we could yet see more players depart and further draft or free agent spots open up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast