Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AFLW list management 2023

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Rookie me published this 2023 AFLW Draft State-by-State analysis: New South Wales - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central
    Couldn't we have grabbed either Blattman or Baukes in the same way as we grabbed Holly Cooper if we rated them?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Rookie me published this 2023 AFLW Draft State-by-State analysis: New South Wales - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central
    Couldn't we have grabbed either Blattman or Baukes in the same way as we grabbed Holly Cooper if we rated them?
    I believe so, if they agreed to being recruited in this way. Maybe they fancy spreading their wings or (more likely) the Swans weren't convinced they are better prospects than others that might be available at the draft.

We are allowed to recruit three players in total using this concession. So maybe the Swans think there are a couple of better prospects next year.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    So now the club has announced a list of eight players who have recommitted to the club for 2024. I guess it is normal for the AFLW that most players are on year-to-year contracts.

The eight players confirmed are Privitelli, the Irish trio, Mitchell, Woodward, Heads and Beruldsen.

But that still means a fair proportion of the squad from last year is yet to be locked in. Presumably they're not all about to leave, and the club is gradually working its way down the list offering contracts as it sees fit. But as far as I know, none of these players were already signed on a multi-year contract and so have their futures still to be determined:

- Szigeti
    - Steane
    - Smith
    - Lexi Hamilton
    - Whelan
    - Sargent-Wilson
    - Sheppard
    - Vale
    - Bullas
    - Collier
    - Lochland

It is possible some had already extended. Lochland, for example, might have come to the club on a multi-year contract given her status as a past premiership player.

But the length of the list suggests we could yet see more players depart and further draft or free agent spots open up.
    I think Heads on year-to-year is odd, but others may disagree.

I thought Alana Woodward may be in a bit of trouble earlier this season, plus she's our most senior player. But she was one of those that kept going during the Adelaide slaughter. Very commendable.
    Steane was very good this year, statistically better than the previous year.
    Dumping Collier after the best clubman award would be pretty cold
    LexiH is our most used plan B ruck department atm - so she'll be needed. I know Smith and Mitchell are both taller but Lexi seems the go to option.
    Bullass' place may depend on how she is progressing
    I refuse to allow Ruby Sargent-Wilson to be delisted, much better to recruit someone called Catherine Mainwaring and make a set.
    Newmans departure makes Lochland a more certain retention doesn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We are allowed to recruit three players in total using this concession.
    That it's 3 in total I hadn't known - thanks
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 19th January 2024 at 02:15 PM.

And now they have previewed what the Swans will do at tomorrow's draft - 2023 AFLW Draft preview: Sydney - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

Veteran Site Admin
    Cat B rookie? In the AFLW?

The draft rules and process in the AFLW make the men's competition equivalents look like kindergarten play in comparison.

Gosh the Swans AFLW twitter feed is fast.
    We used #15 pick to force Brissie to match on Long, Then took Sarah Grunden - an 168cm forward.
    Then our second and final pick was Lara Hausegger a 170cm defender - also from Victoria.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 19th December 2023 at 03:27 AM.

Veteran Site Admin
    We don’t have a great track record with Sarahs. We delisted two last year, at least one of whom stood out for her skills in the couple of matches she played (not in a good way). And we delisted our final Sarah this year after she was the only non-injured player not to get a game.

Hopefully it will be fourth time lucky.

LexiH is our most used plan B ruck department atm - so she'll be needed.
    Twitter interviewette with Cynthia includes her talking about her closeness with her sister https://twitter.com/SydneySwansAFLW/...40754307486146 - which suggests 'Lexi will be staying with the Swans.
    Which reduces the number of last years players still in limbo to 10.
    Hayley Bullas
    Maddy Collier
    Brooke Lochland
    Ruby Sargent-Wilson
    Paige Sheppard
    Bella R. Smith
    Lisa Steane
    Lauren Szigeti
    Eliza Vale
    Aimee Whelan
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 19th January 2024 at 01:06 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345