Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFLW list management 2023

AFLW list management 2023

In this year there will only be an overage draft before the season begins, probably around mid-year. We'll have pick 1, so we should get at least one good player even if it will be a thin draft pool.

We have lobbied for and obtained some handy concessions to sign players from other clubs without having to trade for them.

The first big signing was Chloe Molloy. Fantastic addition! Hopefully will be with the footy club for a long time to come.

Today another significant signing has been announced: Blue on the move: Swans to gain another gun via PSP (womens.afl). I don't know much about McEvoy but she is a great age and experience profile - young but with a few seasons under her belt. She was a gun as a junior and she seems to have done well in the AFLW - twice named in the 22under22. She's had some injury issues but still a really good get I hope.

Rumours are that Paris MCarthy is also coming our way: More Irish talent incoming? Clubs in talks with high-profile trio (womens.afl). On the one hand she's coming from a completely different sport so you'd think she's a project and will take a while to settle. On the other hand she has excelled at two sports that are both really relevant for footy: Gaelic footy and basketball. She's tall (175 cm) but not as tall as Ham (179 cm). It's hard to say where she'd play - I don't even know where she plays in Gaelic footy. Our challenge will be first to entice her and then to retain her if she's good enough.

Hopefully we'll sneak at least one more signature before the Priority Signing Period finishes.

Undoubtedly we're going to have a better season than in 2022 and I'll be disappointed if we don't break through for some Ws. I hope we're aiming to play finals by next year - that's ambitious but within range I think.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The overage draft is going to be on 4 April 2023.

46.5 hours of the Priority Signing Period remain - keep up the good work Swans! Surely we nab at least one Giant?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Jeepers! We're bringing in a bunch of Irish talent: Swans AFLW sign Irish trio (sydneyswans.com.au). They sound great but I don't think any of them have played footy before.

Welcome to Laura Gardiner from Geelong in exchange for pick 1 in the supplementary draft.

Veterans List
    Just received an email from the Swans that we have signed Montana Ham, Cynthia Hamilton and Sofia Hurley to long term deals 🙂.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Just received an email from the Swans that we have signed Montana Ham, Cynthia Hamilton and Sofia Hurley to long term deals .
    Excellent news

Senior Player
    AFL website has story on Morphett being offered 5 year deal by Bulldogs.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    What an unpleasant piece of news.
    But leaving aside how she came to be available. I don't know of any AFLW website that includes contract status, so there's no knowing who else might be a target.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 17th November 2023 at 05:52 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    AFL website has story on Morphett being offered 5 year deal by Bulldogs.
    Hopefully she turns them down after what she has experienced with the team this season.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Ally Morphett could be headed to the Western Bulldogs with the Dogs likely to cough up pick 1 in return. Swan considers future, two Dogs mull rival offers, Lion could leave
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast