Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread - Round 1 vs Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    He’s not in strife .
    He may well get a week. The Vic based tribunal loves to kick Buddy.....but Pickett should get more. Will be very interesting to see how they view both incidents.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I think you will find he made contact with the top of his shoulder.
    Which is still not good....I can see him getting a week.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Which is still not good....I can see him getting a week.
    He did and he deserved at least 1 you called it

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    He did and he deserved at least 1 you called it
    Yep...and Pickett's 2 weeks is about right as well although I probably would have agreed with 3.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Some good posts and thoughts on the game. And yes, it was ridiculously warm and muggy - and I’m accustomed to it. But last night was something else.

In general, we played with the heat, run and spread you’d hope. The superior speed and foot skills across the ground were noticeable from up high, as was our defensive pressure on the ball carrier. I also liked the mix we kept around the ball, between the bulls and the runners.

As a long time Stephens devotee, last night made me super happy. He really does have all the assets, but what I really loved last night was his willingness when the chance arrived, to grab the ball and just take off like a jet in an instant or put a shimmy on his man. He can be one of those rare 80m players. The other thing watching live is the amount of ground he and McInerney cover is just ridiculous. Stephens had a bit more polish and impact last night, but they are so important to our ability to play with dare and McInerney is just fearless for a light bloke.

Chad really is an all round player now. He can both clear chaos with two quick steps or a smart handball, or go on one of his rampaging runs. What a gem. Same with Errol, but more due to his footy IQ. Watching his running patterns and decision making is something else.

A few others. Rampe was just brilliant, Tom Mc will have the odd moment but he wins a lot of contests, and Logan worked hard up the ground and got some rewards in the first half. The ‘slippery’ game in the second half didn’t really allow for it as much. I also thought Ladhams was good. Witts will beat most in hit outs, but Ladhams was very good otherwise. He has clean hands.

All up, a good win in what could have been a tricky game.
    I generally agree with that. Specifically I was also blown away by how much ground McInerney was covering. He didn't seem to use it as well as usual (early season rust?) but he just kept popping up everywhere including deep in D50 and then back in forward 50 and all along the wings.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    I think Franklin's week is probably fair enough. A couple of seasons ago I reckon it would just have been a fine, but they are - rightly - trying to eliminate that kind of contact.

The Pickett one has me scratching my head a bit. I am not sure how that can be classified as careless contact. He made a decision to jump off the ground and barrage into a player who had just disposed of the ball. It wouldn't have been a legitimate action even had the ball been in play. He - and especially Smith - are lucky Smith's face wasn't bashed in.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think Franklin's week is probably fair enough. A couple of seasons ago I reckon it would just have been a fine, but they are - rightly - trying to eliminate that kind of contact.

The Pickett one has me scratching my head a bit. I am not sure how that can be classified as careless contact. He made a decision to jump off the ground and barrage into a player who had just disposed of the ball. It wouldn't have been a legitimate action even had the ball been in play. He - and especially Smith - are lucky Smith's face wasn't bashed in.
    Agree, Liz. Pickett should have got at least 3 weeks. His action was multiples worse than Buddy’s glancing blow. He could have done some real damage.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Pickett should have got at least 3 weeks. His action was multiples worse than Buddy’s glancing blow.
    Another example of the need for a .’reckless’ grading between ‘careless’ and ‘intentional’. (An opinion I’ve espoused ever since the AFL deleted the reckless grading some years ago.)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Another example of the need for a .’reckless’ grading between ‘careless’ and ‘intentional’. (An opinion I’ve espoused ever since the AFL deleted the reckless grading some years ago.)
    Totally. We need to get Gerard Whateley on it.

An older champion forward CAN be judged on rd1 only....but that is a very small data set and not in alignment with the plan to have Bud be there most of the season, kick 50 goals and drag a serious defender where every possible, plus allow a evolution of our forward structure to continue in 2023.

Internally the coaches would know that with a modified and light pre season it is physically impossible to be a 4qtr beast in rd 1.

Buddy's program would be to start hitting full cardio fitness by rd 4ish given his program.

4 rounds of 2023 footy minimum is when I will feel comfortable to start seriously analysing Buds contribution.

Even the great Josh Kennedy when suffering from chronic OP would have only been hitting his straps cardio wise from round 4 onwards after a modified pre season program

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Quite an impressive hit out to start the season. Dylan looked to me like he is ready to take the next step this year.
    Errol just continues to grow and I can see an All Australian Blazer in the next couple of years.
    Chad looked very much at home maybe measure him up for a blazer as well ?
    No need to measure Callum he will wear one again this year and is now one of the elite players in the league.
    James looked a little short of a run but still topped the tackling.
    Backline looked good against what was a fairly tall lineup.
    Was inspired by Lances start but he needs to play with a little less agro.
    It wasn’t a great look when he unnecessarily gave Uwland an extra bit of contact after the ball went over the boundary line , it was his first game and I think the kid was born after Lance debuted.
    He is not going to play every game this year but it would be much better if we decided when to rest him not the Tribunal.
    All in all considering the conditions ( I can’t walk 100 metres in this humidity here in SEQ without feeling drained ) a first up performance that should allay any supporters who were concerned about how they would respond after their last game.
    Pretty good summary of the game. Its was great to see Dylan Stephens probably BOG, a player who struggled last year. Our depth is looking good. I thought our backline was only fair as the McCartin brothers looked a bit uncertain and fumbly at times. Maybe we need to look at Buddy in 15 minute bursts, his agility is still in question.

Regular in the Side
    I like McInerney, speed guts etc BUT his kicking is attrocious they go as high as length. Needs to kick thru the ball instead of poking at it.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast