Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round 4: the other games. No rucking worries?

Round 4: the other games. No rucking worries?

The Easter round starts tonight with Brisbane hosting Collingwood. By not selecting a ruckman, it appears that Collingwood are testing the Ludwig theory, that teams might be better off without a ruckman? I'm not sure where I stand on that? On the one hand, I think a high quality ruck, like Gawn or Naitanui, can be a definite advantage, both through their ability to get clean taps to midfielders on the move and their strong marking around the ground. While on the other hand, a mediocre ruck can be more of a hindrance, with their taps to disadvantage and their slowing up of possession chains.
    So, it'll be interesting to see how the game develops tonight. Will the lack of a ruckman make Collingwood's quick ball movement even quicker? Or will Brisbane decide that they should have a definite advantages in clearances, and consequently attempt to turn the game into a war of attrition, with free space blocked as much as possible and the ball moving from ruck contest to ruck contest?

Unfortunately, I'm running a bit late right now, so I'll just restrict myself to commenting on the final game of the round; Geelong v Hawthorn at the G. Last week, I called the thread, "So just how crap is Hawthorn", before it was later amended to, "So just how crap is Geelong", after Hawthorn won and Geelong lost. So, this round, I think both questions could still apply. While I think it's likely that Hawthorn will lose heavily and confirm the status as wooden spoon favourites, there is some chance that Geelong will go 0/4. Which I suspect would be a happy ending to the Easter weekend for many fans. A satisfied torpor brought about by an overindulgence of chocolate combined with the warm inner glow of smug schadenfreude. I'm sure it's what Jesus would have wanted.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Saints v Suns is an interesting match-up. If it was on the Goldy I would think the Suns are capable of an upset but at Marvel .... probably not. This would leave Saints at the top of the table, which makes me change my mind again, and I think the Suns will win.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Saints v Suns is an interesting match-up. If it was on the Goldy I would think the Suns are capable of an upset but at Marvel .... probably not. This would leave Saints at the top of the table, which makes me change my mind again, and I think the Suns will win.
    I quite like the Suns in that. Rowell is back to looking like a stand out, number one draft pick: Weller has returned in fine shape; Miller and Anderson give them plenty of drive, and King has probably remembered how to catch.

Brisbane were close to putting Collingwood away in that quarter. Rayner is playing one of the best games I've seen him play.

Though of course, Collingwood will believe that they can come back.

Veterans List
    Go Lions.....nicely up at half time. I tipped them.....hope they go on with it.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Collingwood are renowned for their last quarters, but so far, Ludwig is watching this and positively seething at what it does for his ruck theory.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Nice move by Charlie Cameron.

Will that be the goal that stops Taylor and Brayshaw gibbering about a Collingwood comeback?

You truly expect that pair deja to get their hand off it? The world will end before that ever happens haha!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    You truly expect that pair deja to get their hand off it? The world will end before that ever happens haha!
    I tend to think that the Big Freeze is getting a bit passe. So for a new fund-raiser, I'm wondering if people would pay to see certain commentators bound and gagged and wrapped in masking tape?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Collingwood are renowned for their last quarters, but so far, Ludwig is watching this and positively seething at what it does for his ruck theory.
    Although Daniher has shown what, potentially, Bud could do in the ruck ...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    It's 6.30am in Chiang Mai and Ludwig is already pouring over his rucking blueprint...."where did I go wrong?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast