Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Rd 4 vs Port Adelaide @ SCG - Match Thread

Meredith was the umpire who did award the fifty meter penalty over ruling the other umpire.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I spent the second half of the game against Port dealing with the start of what turned into a long and ferocious battle with food poisoning, so won’t comment too much on the match itself. But, some meta observations on the season so far:

* Our contested ball still stinks. We managed to mask this somewhat in the second half of last season with smart game day tactics, ferocious defensive pressure on opponent ball carriers, and getting overs from one or two players like Rowbottom. Unfortunately it continues to dog us. Neither Mills or Parker are doing well yet this year on a count you’d expect them to lead our side on, Rowbottom has slipped back on clearance and contest numbers despite his tackling efforts, and our forward 50 ground ball work seems, at least to the eye, a bit off.

* We need a good small forward companion for Paps, and have for a couple of years. What we’re really missing is someone who plays the role of a Brad Close or Charlie Spargo or the trio of Richmond small forwards from the premiership years who link high up the ground, then work back to apply pressure. Wicks was never elite at the role in 2021, but at least did the job in a serviceable manner. We need an A grade version of that, and I love Harry, but he ain’t it either. Let’s hope our young draftee eventually fits the bill.

* Our ball use going inside 50. Aye Karumba. During the first quarter the other night we were all over Port but only kicked three! It’s easy to blame Bud or whatever, but some of our ball use is dumb. Even Errol has made the odd boo boo. I have total confidence in Blakey and Ollie, and usually in Errol or Chad, but the rest - for an elite kicking team, sort it out boys.

* the big Bud. Now, we love him, and I ain’t gonna call it yet. But if he’s not at peak fitness, take him off line for a week or two, and get him flying. I still think there’s a role for him, as I completely disagree that he’s selfish. But the way we’re playing him ain’t working.

Now, having said all that, I’m not pessimistic about the year, largely because I entered it realistically thinking - all things being equal on injuries, we are a 4-8 side. The likely extended absence one way or another of Paddy will test that, as it’s our weakest area of depth. But we could have pinched the other night, and went with Melbourne for three quarters. So it’s not all @@@@e, and some of it is fixable. But it’s a work in progress, and the smarts and resilience of the coaching and playing group will be tested in the coming month or so.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I spent the second half of the game against Port dealing with the start of what turned into a long and ferocious battle with food poisoning, so won’t comment too much on the match itself. But, some meta observations on the season so far:

* Our contested ball still stinks. We managed to mask this somewhat in the second half of last season with smart game day tactics, ferocious defensive pressure on opponent ball carriers, and getting overs from one or two players like Rowbottom. Unfortunately it continues to dog us. Neither Mills or Parker are doing well yet this year on a count you’d expect them to lead our side on, Rowbottom has slipped back on clearance and contest numbers despite his tackling efforts, and our forward 50 ground ball work seems, at least to the eye, a bit off.

* We need a good small forward companion for Paps, and have for a couple of years. What we’re really missing is someone who plays the role of a Brad Close or Charlie Spargo or the trio of Richmond small forwards from the premiership years who link high up the ground, then work back to apply pressure. Wicks was never elite at the role in 2021, but at least did the job in a serviceable manner. We need an A grade version of that, and I love Harry, but he ain’t it either. Let’s hope our young draftee eventually fits the bill.

* Our ball use going inside 50. Aye Karumba. During the first quarter the other night we were all over Port but only kicked three! It’s easy to blame Bud or whatever, but some of our ball use is dumb. Even Errol has made the odd boo boo. I have total confidence in Blakey and Ollie, and usually in Errol or Chad, but the rest - for an elite kicking team, sort it out boys.

* the big Bud. Now, we love him, and I ain’t gonna call it yet. But if he’s not at peak fitness, take him off line for a week or two, and get him flying. I still think there’s a role for him, as I completely disagree that he’s selfish. But the way we’re playing him ain’t working.

Now, having said all that, I’m not pessimistic about the year, largely because I entered it realistically thinking - all things being equal on injuries, we are a 4-8 side. The likely extended absence one way or another of Paddy will test that, as it’s our weakest area of depth. But we could have pinched the other night, and went with Melbourne for three quarters. So it’s not all @@@@e, and some of it is fixable. But it’s a work in progress, and the smarts and resilience of the coaching and playing group will be tested in the coming month or so.
    Top post.

Contested ball: try these 4 who can't spell the word contested. McInerney, Stephens, Cunningham and Hayward.

Parker was ordinary and only threw his weight around late in the game, and that's all he did. His disposal and decision making was rubbish.

Where was the leadership in the last 10 minutes. We turned the ball over and it looked like we didn't want to keep possession.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Meredith is no.21.
    I knew I'd get that wrong! this is why I generally stay away from umpire discussions
    Last edited by neilfws; 11th April 2023 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree. Acute football brain and has created numerous goals for team mates. Nonsense to suggest he is not a team player.
    Let’s see if he comes back through the VFL this time then. Happy to eat my words if he does.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I knew I'd get that wrong! this is why I generally stay away from umpire discussions
    If like some, you just use the correct pronouns, you won't need to remember surnames. In this case, Maggot 21

Just kidding, I don't think they are all maggots, but Meredith was bad on Sunday.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Let’s see if he comes back through the VFL this time then. Happy to eat my words if he does.
    If he's only .missing a game or 2 why would he come back through VFL?

I got a laugh out of this line, lifted from the comments section of Titus' Knee Jerk Reaction:

Aliir Aliir was so good he played like there were two of him on the field.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122