Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: The other games. Gather round and wonder why.

The Crows took that game very seriously , like it was State of Origin. They will sing loud & proud on their bicycles tonight .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Now if the AFL was serious about showing how much of a powerhouse it is, it would hold it in Sydney, and see how good it was at selling out a game out at Blacktown. I reckon Gold Coast vs the Fairypuppies would be a decent challenge. Achieve a sell out for that and they would convince me of the success of gather round haha!
    Yeah, I can't really see it working in Sydney. Even Perth would be a stretch, given the difficulty of travelling as a fan of a non-Perth team.

Adelaide is uniquely suitable for it. But surely it can't happen every year, in Adelaide, as it would effectively mean an extra home game for the Crows and Port each year.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Mobile site is fine for me, desktop seems to have lost its styling. Maybe a CSS file is not loading?

Anyway - I thought Adelaide were very impressive last night. The quick handballing in congestion was incredible to watch, good ball movement in general, winning contests, moving it forward and finishing well. Quite the smashing for the Blues who will be wondering if it was an aberration or something more serious.

Mixed feelings watching Dawson play so well - picked out Fogarty with a typical pinpoint left boot during one passage of play. I'm happy to see him go well but gee, wish he still played for the Swans.

This interesting graphic depicting comparative size of grounds on which Gather Round is being played comes from an ABC article (link below).

They say that the new Adelaide Hills oval at Mt Barker (where Brisbane play North Melbourne) is as large as the MCG. In contrast, Norwood Oval (Freo v Gold Coast and GWS v Hawthorn) is small (and particularly skinny).

And note the depiction of the SCG. I get annoyed by the oft-repeated ‘pocket handkerchief’ description - as can be seen here the SCG and the Gabba are virtually identical sizes. The SCG is a relatively wide ground, though shorter than most others shown.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-...tory/102211692

Senior Player
    Fremantle sucking again. I meant to change my tip to GC but was left it too late. Very unsure about the Richmond/Swans game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Fremantle sucking again. I meant to change my tip to GC but was left it too late. Very unsure about the Richmond/Swans game too.
    Fremantle coming back, though personally I'd prefer the Suns. If only Lukosius was kicking goals instead of behinds, he'd be having a blinder.

Not confident about our game as well.

Good game, shame the Suns couldn't hang on. Darcy and to a lesser extent, Jackson, getting on top in the ruck was crucial to the Fremantle comeback.

And great atmosphere for a match between two non-SA clubs.

Yes, Meg, and Norwood Oval does have fond memories for me, as it was the first place that I watched live Aussie Rules, when I moved to Adelaide many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, Meg, and Norwood Oval does have fond memories for me, as it was the first place that I watched live Aussie Rules, when I moved to Adelaide many years ago.
    Same same - my first footy match as a young girl accompanying my Redlegs-mad older brother!

Senior Player
    Bombers doing a number of Melbourne, very happy!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm not sure how functional the site is at the moment, so I think I'll just briefly start the thread and leave it at that. I mean, I don't want to type away for an hour or so and then discover that I can't post what I've written or other people can't access it.

I'm assuming that I'm not the only that's currently viewing the forum in a strange and clunky layout?
    For a few days now I have seeing a weird typed format which is frustrating as hell....it occasionally goes back to normal format then stuffs up again. Can't even get onto other pages at the moment for this thread and the Swans/Tigers match thread. Extremely annoying!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast