Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 5: The other games. Gather round and wonder why.

Round 5: The other games. Gather round and wonder why.

I'm not sure how functional the site is at the moment, so I think I'll just briefly start the thread and leave it at that. I mean, I don't want to type away for an hour or so and then discover that I can't post what I've written or other people can't access it.

I'm assuming that I'm not the only that's currently viewing the forum in a strange and clunky layout?

Senior Player
    Yeah the clunky layout keeps occurring for me too. Posts read fine, just the display of threads/channels is wonky.

You could keep a draft of your pre game analysis on Word or text file and then post it/edit to expand.

Your pre game summaries are great so please post if you have the time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm not sure how functional the site is at the moment, so I think I'll just briefly start the thread and leave it at that. I mean, I don't want to type away for an hour or so and then discover that I can't post what I've written or other people can't access it.

I'm assuming that I'm not the only that's currently viewing the forum in a strange and clunky layout?
    Yes, I'm experiencing clunkiness on the mobile app/full site: works fine on Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MattW; 13th April 2023 at 02:55 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    It seems to be behaving itself ok at the moment. I just rebooted the server - just for the hell of it - in case that made a difference. I don't know that it did. It looked like a database issue rather than a server issue. But after booting it's working better, maybe coincidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes, I'm experiencing clunkiness on the mobile app/full site: works fine on Tapatalk.

No problems on Tapatalk ...

Wonder why Gather Round?

The simple answer: AFL / NRL rivalry. NRL has Magic Round, AFL has countered with Gather Round.

But looks as if all clubs will benefit.

“Senior AFL sources confirmed that the 18 clubs would receive $750,000 each for Gather Round in South Australia and that, of that amount, $500,000 would go to the players at every club - potentially easing some of the fiscal and salary-cap pressure on players and clubs.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...12-p5czzz.html

Thanks for the helpful replies. I might as well give it a go.

In regards to Gather Round, it's already being touted as a great success, but I'm not entirely sure. While I can see that it might be fun to have what Roy and HG would describe as a Festival of the Boot, I'm not sure that a large number of fans of various clubs being in one city at once, is all that different to a normal weekend in Melbourne? Much the same with most of the games being sold out. Sounds great if you say it quickly, but is it that much of an achievement to sell out the 15,000 capacity Norwood Oval or the 7,000 capacity Mt Barker? And on those venues, it's been mentioned that Gather Round is taking football to the masses; but Norwood is an affluent suburb 5kms away from Adelaide Oval, and if I remember rightly, Mt Barker in the Adelaide hills is possibly more affluent. So, if the AFL were really that inclined, why not Glenelg, West Adelaide or shock, horror, Elizabeth? I'm also a bit concerned about the financial involvement of the South Australian government. While I don't think it's been stated how much they've spent, it does seem like there's been a sizable amount thrown at the AFL, ostensibly to attract tourism dollars. Could this money be more productively spent elsewhere, like the struggling health system? Or worse, if the event is seen as a success, will other state governments feel pressured to become involved in a bidding war, in order to attract future Gather rounds to their state, and thus, further encouraging the AFL to morph into our very own version of the IOC or FIFA?
    "Would Mr McLachlan like some more cash with his penthouse suite?"
    "Would Mr McGuire like some TV rights?"

Anyway, football. The first match sees Adelaide hosting Carlton at Adelaide Oval. At least I presume that Adelaide is hosting, but now that I think of it, there's probably some sort of chance that the AFL has designated it a Carlton home game. I also think that there's some sort of chance that the Adelaide fans will get into the spirit of things, by resurrecting State of Origin chants along the lines of Vic go home! While simultaneously, Port fans will further extend the welcome to Carlton fans, by breaking into their cars in the carpark.

Possibly not a lot about football there; so, Adelaide to win and Izak Rankine further adding to his reputation.

The Friday evening game is Fremantle and Gold Coast at Norwood. To me, these are the season's two most disappointing teams. I expected both to challenge for the finals, but for the loser, the season is almost gone with barely a whimper.

Friday night is us v Richmond. Obviously this will be further discussed in another thread, so I'll just say that I really hope the Will Gould gets up for the game. I mean, spending the last couple of seasons grinding away in the VFL, then getting injured when his chance eventually arises? It's just too cruel.

Next up, is what appears to be Gil's gift to his fellow members of the South Australian landed gentry, a real live AFL match in the Adelaide hills. With what shapes as an one-side affair between Brisbane and North, there might be more discussion about the quality of the available red wines, than the quality of the match. Maybe a confrontation or two on the hill, on how much space one can realistically claim with a picnic blanket?

Next up, the rain is due to arrive at Adelaide Oval. In the afternoon, Essendon and Melbourne will start ploughing up the ground, then the night game between Port and the Western Bulldogs should finish the job.

In first Sunday game, West Coast fans will probably be pleased if it was still raining. I'm sure that most of them would be satisfied if the scoreboard damage was restricted to something like, Geelong 3-12: 30 to West Coast 2-15: 27. While many neutral fans would be satisfied, if the players ended up looking like they'd worked a double shift in the sewerage works of a third world mega-city.

Then there's GWS v Hawthorn. I'm actually quite impressed that they sold 15,000 tickets to this one.

Then finally, it's Collingwood v St Kilda. Even if the rain has stopped, I suspect that a few people will be wondering about the wisdom of staging six games in four days on one ground. I mean, it might be difficult for both clubs to continue with the free running football when they're wearing gumboots? Anyway, I suspect that most people will be going for St Kilda here. And I also suspect that the Saints are becoming the second favourite side of many fans; with their youthful exuberance overcoming the horrific injury list. Though now that I think of it, it would be just so St Kilda, if they kept on winning while their stars gradually returned, only for their season to mysteriously off the rails, once they were back to something like full strength.

Veteran Site Admin
    It is an Adelaide home game this evening. I gather they tossed a coin to see which team was designated as the home team (presumably for all these matches). It seems to be relevant to determining who gets to wear their home strip.

Seems Adelaide were fortunate to win the toss because they've designed a special guernsey for the game - one that is predominantly navy blue...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/04/...hameless-cash/
    Last edited by liz; 13th April 2023 at 06:14 PM.

If Adelaide are in navy blue, I wonder what Carlton will be wearing? Perhaps the old baby blue outfit, which I don't think went down all that well, when they wore it in the past?

“making people buy another footy jumper” bit OTT.

Worst part of jumper is seeing Dawson leading the promotion photo …. 🥲

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    “making people buy another footy jumper” bit OTT.

Worst part of jumper is seeing Dawson leading the promotion photo …. 🥲
    Yes, it's hard work, isn't it.

The Crows jumpers are quite stunning!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast