Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Round 5: The other games. Gather round and wonder why.

Veterans List
    Small capacity venues like Norwood and country will always feature clubs with small followings and clubs unlikely to draw supporters from their home state, GWS, Gold Coast, Norf, Freo.

Our game was not only well attended on what was and was forecast a wet evening after half time, but there was a very sizable Swans crowd in attendance. Was great being there.

As an Adelaide based supporter, I'm rapt with another three years of Gather Round. Whilst some have railed against the AFL's decision, I think the massive show of support, the high and almost universal praise from visitors for SA and Adelaide plus the easy day drive from the AFLs largest supporter base in Vic, were factors in the decision.

If it went prematurely to Sydney or Brisbane, you can only imagine the spoiling tactics used by V'landy and the NRL to try and diminish the profile of Gather Round, expect three or four NRL blockbusters in the hosting city head to head against Gather Rounds best games. This way the AFL gets another three years to refine and strengthen the product. Downside is that Cows and Port get an extra home game each year.

I travelled to Adelaide for Gather Round and absolutely loved it. I went to three games and thought Adelaide Oval was a spectacular venue. I'm happy to travel again next year. I'm an AFL lover and so were 99.999999% of others who went to Gather Round. Therefore, the biggest beneficiary from this round was Adelaide and not the AFL. Therefore, taking the round to Sydney, Gold Coast, or Tasmania would actually be much more successful in terms of AFL growth in interest even if crowds were much lower.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

If it went prematurely to Sydney or Brisbane, you can only imagine the spoiling tactics used by V'landy and the NRL to try and diminish the profile of Gather Round, expect three or four NRL blockbusters in the hosting city head to head against Gather Rounds best games. This way the AFL gets another three years to refine and strengthen the product. Downside is that Cows and Port get an extra home game each year.
    Surprisingly he didn't schedule the Melbourne Storm to play in Melbourne during Gather Round.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Both Adelaide and port played normal home games, so it's not a problem.

What it hurts is the non Vic teams who had to play one of their few home games away.
    Lucky we won then!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456