Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Longmire

Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    Other than Academy guns we have not selected or developed well. Paddy fell into our lap due to his brother but other than Ladhams (possibly) who have we traded in that has been a success? This used to be a Sydney trait, bring in a player and develop him into a star.
    I have analyzed this in the past. We have to take into account that the top academy selections have cost us our first round picks and more, so it's taken us out of the part of the draft where we could have picked a good player. Luckily, the academy boys have been very good value. so far.

Our drafting has been generally good over the past dozen years, even if I haven't necessarily agreed with our selections. It's too early to pass judgment on the past 2 drafts and I have been critical on overlooking KPPs. I would think this year will open up some eyes.

What I am most critical of is the way we lost Aliir and Dawson and the signing of Buddy for another year. They were too important to allow us to lose them. We should have found a way. With those 2 players, we would very much be in the premiership hunt this year.

We are a team that looks after players of tenure.

We played in the GF ahead of time last year. We’re one of the youngest squads currently out there. The back line in particular has been badly hit structurally and for experience.
    This thread is ridiculous.
    Time to go, I think.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I don’t agree it’s just ALL about winning the last game in September (yep it’s called the Premiership). Yes, it’s ecstasy when it happens especially if you’re there. ( it’s made v hard for non-Victorian clubs to win one).

For many of us it’s about the culture of the club, the care and well being of the players, their families, their physical and mental health, the bond with the supporters, the pastoral care of young boys growing into good men.

John has been and continues to be a key component of this.

There are many games when we can marvel at the skill, the growth in cohesion of the team and the wins we do have.

The Swans are a good team to follow regardless, be hard to find a replacement for John who could do a better job .

You can see he craves to win, like we all do.
    (We all like to identify with winning).
    This group will keep on growing win or lose.

Who would honestly be an AFL coach anyway. It’s a hellava tough gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I don’t agree it’s just ALL about winning the last game in September (yep it’s called the Premiership). Yes, it’s ecstasy when it happens especially if you’re there. ( it’s made v hard for non-Victorian clubs to win one).

For many of us it’s about the culture of the club, the care and well being of the players, their families, their physical and mental health, the bond with the supporters, the pastoral care of young boys growing into good men.

John has been and continues to be a key component of this.

There are many games when we can marvel at the skill, the growth in cohesion of the team and the wins we do have.

The Swans are a good team to follow regardless, be hard to find a replacement for John who could do a better job .

You can see he craves to win, like we all do.
    (We all like to identify with winning).
    This group will keep on growing win or lose.

Who would honestly be an AFL coach anyway. It’s a hellava tough gig.
    Very well put hotpotato! That said, he could be a bit more tactical on match days and make a few more moves when needed. But hey, what do I know!
    Where’s The Bloods?! I miss him……..😊

In the recent past we have lauded Don Pike as a change agent for the Swans playing style. I took it that he would have had a significant role in the game day set up of the team

- - - Updated - - -

apologies Pyke

Veterans List
    Longmire is held in the highest regard inside the club, as well as by the wider professional AFL community.

Hickey who's now played for four clubs, and more coaches than that, should know a thing or two. When asked post match about Longmire after a game last year he said 'he's an awesome coach' That's enough endorsement for me.

Senior Player
    Laughable that some on here are calling for him to be removed. He is so highly regarded and so important to the culture of the club, it wouldn't surprise me if he became football manager when he finishes as a coach. He is the Bellamy of the AFL.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Laughable that some on here are calling for him to be removed. He is so highly regarded and so important to the culture of the club, it wouldn't surprise me if he became football manager when he finishes as a coach. He is the Bellamy of the AFL.
    Bellamy has multiple premierships to his name

When he’s done as coach he will be gone from the club, as if any new coach would want the old one looking over their shoulder

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Bellamy has multiple premierships to his name

When he’s done as coach he will be gone from the club, as if any new coach would want the old one looking over their shoulder
    Not necessarily. For example, if McVeigh became coach, JL could stay on just like Bellamy is going to at the Storm when he finishes up as coach.

Pushing for Selection
    How many fresh ideas can he have after 13 years?

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by greeng View Post
    How many fresh ideas can he have after 13 years?
    Don’t need them if you make the finals nearly every year.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast