Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 7: the other games. Surely this ladder can't be right?

Round 7: the other games. Surely this ladder can't be right?

Yes, it's Round 7 and St Kilda are on top; which I don't think anyone would have predicted at the start of the season. I mean, the general consensus was that they had a list that was rated as perhaps bottom of the eight, if that. Then the cream of that list was decimated by injuries, which had people thinking that bottom of the eight was out of the question. But here they are, first!
    Of course, now that I've started talking about them, I'm realising that since I've only seen one St Kilda game this season, I'm not really qualified to analyze the reasons for their success. But hey, not really knowing what I'm talking about, has often not stopped me from voicing opinions in the past, so I might as well put forward a couple of conjectures. Firstly, has Ross got some sort of brand new game plan? That is, even with Lyon spending a few years out of the game, it's hard to see him quietly accepting that he'll never be a premiership coach and happily forgetting about the game. Instead, it's easier to imagine him in his shed or home office, going over what went wrong in the past, formulating new ideas and tactics, running simulations, and generally dreaming of vindication. So, in that time, has he come up with something that other coaches are finding difficult to counteract? Or perhaps another possibility is that Brett Ratten was a worse coach than people thought? Which meant that the St Kilda list was actually better than people thought and now Ross has just wandered in to enjoy the benefits.
    Anyway, I'll be watching tonight's game against Port with interest.

The first Saturday game is the Lions hosting the Dockers. After their poor loss against the Bulldogs last week, it's starting to look like the Dockers list was overrated by many at the start of the season. While it's too early to start saying things like, "season on the line", they really need to start putting in some decent performances. Can't really see that happening away to Brisbane, but maybe a honourable loss will have them feeling better about themselves?

Speaking of trying to get over a poor performance, the next game is us hosting the Giants.

Next up is the Bulldogs and the Hawks. I'd probably find an upset win by the Hawks amusing, but that might be a bit too much to hope for and I won't be actively barracking for it.

Then it's the Demons v Kangaroos. I expect the Kangaroos to make a statement here. The statement being that Harley Reid is not necessarily going to Hawthorn.

Though of course, the other possibility is that he goes to the Eagles, who are long odds to beat Carlton. I'd possibly prefer an upset here. Which I guess means that I've forgiven the Eagles for 2006.

Now we're on to Sunday with the Bombers and the Cats at the MCG. It's hard to know how I feel about this one. Would I like to see the Cats dish out another thrashing, so the thrashing that they dished out to us is at least a little bit more explicable? Or would I like to see an arrogant and half-arsed performance, that led to an upset loss? Hmmm.

Then it's the Tigers v the Suns: which should be a better match than the 16th v 14th ladder positions would suggest. Both teams have plenty of talent, despite some key injuries, and both teams will be keen not to see the top eight receding into the distance.

The final match is the Crows hosting the Magpies. And I suspect that the Magpies are a case of having a better list than people thought, because the previous coach wasn't all that great. That is, at times in the Buckley era, the Magpies probably got higher picks than was strictly justified, to rebuild what was rated as a mediocre list. When in actual fact, the problem was having a mediocre coach, while the playing list was actually fine. Though of course, the father son rule has probably helped them of late.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, it's Round 7 and St Kilda are on top; which I don't think anyone would have predicted at the start of the season. I mean, the general consensus was that they had a list that was rated as perhaps bottom of the eight, if that. Then the cream of that list was decimated by injuries, which had people thinking that bottom of the eight was out of the question. But here they are, first!
    Of course, now that I've started talking about them, I'm realising that since I've only seen one St Kilda game this season, I'm not really qualified to analyze the reasons for their success. But hey, not really knowing what I'm talking about, has often not stopped me from voicing opinions in the past, so I might as well put forward a couple of conjectures. Firstly, has Ross got some sort of brand new game plan? That is, even with Lyon spending a few years out of the game, it's hard to see him quietly accepting that he'll never be a premiership coach and happily forgetting about the game. Instead, it's easier to imagine him in his shed or home office, going over what went wrong in the past, formulating new ideas and tactics, running simulations, and generally dreaming of vindication. So, in that time, has he come up with something that other coaches are finding difficult to counteract? Or perhaps another possibility is that Brett Ratten was a worse coach than people thought? Which meant that the St Kilda list was actually better than people thought and now Ross has just wandered in to enjoy the benefits.
    Anyway, I'll be watching tonight's game against Port with interest.

The first Saturday game is the Lions hosting the Dockers. After their poor loss against the Bulldogs last week, it's starting to look like the Dockers list was overrated by many at the start of the season. While it's too early to start saying things like, "season on the line", they really need to start putting in some decent performances. Can't really see that happening away to Brisbane, but maybe a honourable loss will have them feeling better about themselves?

Speaking of trying to get over a poor performance, the next game is us hosting the Giants.

Next up is the Bulldogs and the Hawks. I'd probably find an upset win by the Hawks amusing, but that might be a bit too much to hope for and I won't be actively barracking for it.

Then it's the Demons v Kangaroos. I expect the Kangaroos to make a statement here. The statement being that Harley Reid is not necessarily going to Hawthorn.

Though of course, the other possibility is that he goes to the Eagles, who are long odds to beat Carlton. I'd possibly prefer an upset here. Which I guess means that I've forgiven the Eagles for 2006.

Now we're on to Sunday with the Bombers and the Cats at the MCG. It's hard to know how I feel about this one. Would I like to see the Cats dish out another thrashing, so the thrashing that they dished out to us is at least a little bit more explicable? Or would I like to see an arrogant and half-arsed performance, that led to an upset loss? Hmmm.

Then it's the Tigers v the Suns: which should be a better match than the 16th v 14th ladder positions would suggest. Both teams have plenty of talent, despite some key injuries, and both teams will be keen not to see the top eight receding into the distance.

The final match is the Crows hosting the Magpies. And I suspect that the Magpies are a case of having a better list than people thought, because the previous coach wasn't all that great. That is, at times in the Buckley era, the Magpies probably got higher picks than was strictly justified, to rebuild what was rated as a mediocre list. When in actual fact, the problem was having a mediocre coach, while the playing list was actually fine. Though of course, the father son rule has probably helped them of late.
    Having watched the Daicos brothers and Jordan Degoey pretty much beat the Bombers on their own, the father-son rule has definitely helped them. However apologies to Beau McCreery, who I’d thought of as a bloke who brought 100%, but was just a player. He’s seriously good and someone you’d love to have in your team.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Beau McCreery from the South Adelaide Panthers football factory, had a stack of players drafted in recent seasons. Reckon ex Panther Jaiden Magor will become a very good player for us.

I haven't watched enough of Saints to work out how they sit atop the table, but going to watch closely tonight with my companion from the Panthers area, a bottle of McLaren Vale Shiraz

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Beau McCreery from the South Adelaide Panthers football factory, had a stack of players drafted in recent seasons. Reckon ex Panther Jaiden Magor will become a very good player for us.

I haven't watched enough of Saints to work out how they sit atop the table, but going to watch closely tonight with my companion from the Panthers area, a bottle of McLaren Vale Shiraz
    I'm still working my way through the warm weather craft beers, but I must soon start to get back to sampling the wonders of McLaren Vale.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

McCreery is a ripper isn’t he. He’s exactly the sort of player we desperately need as a contrast to Paps as a small forward.

From what I’ve seen of the Saints, they’re very sound defensively (as you’d expect from a Lyon team) and profiting from two years of excellent drafting, with an emphasis of pace and foot skills. I saw some draft observers last year rate Phillipou as the best after Ashcroft, for example. My one qualifier on them is they were 5-1 last year, and they’ve got a lot of young players who can tire.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    At the moment their work rate is fantastic. Lyon has them believing they're ultra fit. Whether they are fitter than other teams I have no idea, but believing it is half the job. Collingwood believe it. Melbourne believed it in 2021 and they claim to be back to believing it this year.

Riiolis shimmy in that 3rd quarter was a dummy masterclass .

Ferocious attack on the footy by both teams but especially Port. Riveting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Ferocious attack on the footy by both teams but especially Port. Riveting game.
    Yes, was a good game.

I was neutral at the start, but ended up pleased that Port won, as the 28-14 free kick seemed a bit hometown to me. Especially since Port laid considerably more tackles.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, was a good game.

I was neutral at the start, but ended up pleased that Port won, as the 28-14 free kick seemed a bit hometown to me. Especially since Port laid considerably more tackles.
    Port got hosed by the umpires, especially in the first half.

Just keeping an eye on Brisbane v Freo; one-sided really, but the umpiring is horrible.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Tune into Dees v North to see a team having a really bad day. One player down with a horror leg break and 81-15 at half time. One of those games where you ghoulishly wonder how much worse the scoreline can get.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast