Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Round 7 v GWS

Hickey for Mclean, talk about someone given a heap of opportunities and not delivering

Interesting to see the coaches mentality this week.

Pies dont have a ruck and if Hickey is ready we have 2.
    We should exploit that, typically our selection committee would play one cos they have none.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    According to the numbers shown on that post game show with Ben Dixon, David King, Leigh Montagna our team on Saturday
    was about middle of the table when it comes to average games played. GWS were the second least experienced in the comp.
    Some on here have said the 2022 grand final was a fluke. Maybe it was, maybe it wasnt. Doesnt matter, just the invaluable experience it will give players is worth it, so an absolute net good thing.
    But lets run with the 'fluke' line for a bit. If we discount 2022 from the data, swans because it was a 'fluke', GWS because they sacked a coach mid-season, and lost of few players..
    Then the Giants and the Swans are actually tracking very similar. Both in a rebuild phase with exciting youngsters, sprinking of established stars, and very inexperienced lists. Last time they met (excluding 2022 data) was a very close final in tassie.

What does all this mean? it means that GWS is our litmus test whenever we meet them. They are on the same trajectory as us, and as far as last weekend goes, the teams are neck and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    According to the numbers shown on that post game show with Ben Dixon, David King, Leigh Montagna our team on Saturday
    was about middle of the table when it comes to average games played. GWS were the second least experienced in the comp.
    Just adding one player to the squad dragged that number up.
    Despite that, we still won every metric except the score board.
    Adelaide had the umpires playing for them too, and suffered a similar fate due to poor conversion, like us.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    From now on we'll get you to do the pressers after the game since you know so much more about who played on who. After all, the camera stays on each match-up for the whole match.

As for Gould, he had two opportunities when Rampe was out and didn't do anything in either to show that he's any more than an average VFL player. In fact he was dropped after both games even though our defence was shredded with injuries. As for bodying up Toby, Gould wouldn't be able to body any AFL player he's as slow as treacle. Even Tomahawk put yards on him on the lead.
    I think you are being a bit hard on Gould. The ball was coming out of the middle that quick Tomhawk only needed to take 2 steps and he had a bruised chest. The problem lies in the midfield - not applying pressure

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It shall be henceforth know as the Shane Mumford award. A legendary player for both clubs.
    Wonderful idea - and if a youngster wine, that's make hima Mummies Boy

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm just not sure where the idea Harry was on Greene for the bulk of the second half comes from. He wasn't. It was Ollie - and I say that as someone who thinks Ollie's been excellent this year, and Harry's been right down; so I'd gladly attribute it to him if true.
    Ditto, 100%. It's simply fanciful thinking.
    Harry left Daniels to help Ollie with Greene on several occasions, which might have confused people, but basically he put the cleaners through Daniels.
    He is our one and only capable lock down small defender. And I know the role of lock down defender is unfashionable and coaches like to stack the defence with offensive threats, but Harry did a god job.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Just adding one player to the squad dragged that number up.
    Despite that, we still won every metric except the score board.
    Adelaide had the umpires playing for them too, and suffered a similar fate due to poor conversion, like us.

I think it was 110 games average for us and 75 for GWS. We scored 16.10 which is not too shabby. Their goal kicking was ridiculous,
    17.2 and 3 rushed behinds. As I posted earlier, they score 16.6 which is still really accurate and we win the game. Throw in a few
    points against Port and we are 5-and-2 and not 3-and-4. Anyway wooda-cooda-shooda aside, I don't think the season is totally
    shot. And re the other discussion ; I think when Toby is on, it really doesn't matter who plays on him, he is going to kick a bunch of
    goals. He is one of the top half dozen players in the comp.

I agree so much with this post. We have been a bees d*ck off a 5-2 start (actually two bees). Alas, we are not. We can blame luck or we can blame ourselves. It’s a bit of both. We’ve been both unlucky losing to Port and GWS in different ways but we’ve also shot ourselves in the foot too. Still hopeful for now and the future. There will be a time where Warner, Gulden, Rowbottom et al will be the experienced bullies.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure what game you were watching, but I watched a replay of the second half and apart from a tackle in the third quarter was the only time Cunningham was anywhere near Toby Green. Florent was definitely on Toby Green for the entire game, and Cunningham picked up Daniels.

We have to accept Toby Green is champion, and requires a highly skilled and physically strong opponent to at best contain him. Rampe or Fox would have been mighty handy on Saturday.

I agree with The Big Cat, Gouid has neither the experience, pace, agility or footy smarts to play on Toby Green.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Hickey for Mclean, talk about someone given a heap of opportunities and not delivering

Interesting to see the coaches mentality this week.

Pies dont have a ruck and if Hickey is ready we have 2.
    We should exploit that, typically our selection committee would play one cos they have none.
    I thought McLean played okay Saturday. He covered a lot of ground and often found himself helping out in defence. It's hard to see much forward action being the last targeted forward and Buddy Franklin commanding the ball most of the time.

The best way to exploit a team that doesn't have a ruckman, is not to play a ruckman as well. This offsets the advantage the team without a ruckman has.

On the Toby Greene coverage matter: Ollie played on Greene most of the time. Longmire responded to a question about this with the same answer I gave in an earlier comment in this thread, which was, what are the alternatives? Harry? Campbell? Lloyd?

On the final Greene goal, Ollie had the coverage, but was blocked out and handed over the coverage to Campbell, who mistakenly went to the contest instead of staying on the outside to cover Toby. This was analyzed on Access All Areas today.

On Gould: I think Gould will take some time to adjust to AFL level, but all except the very best need time to adjust. There was no point in signing him for another year if we had no intent to play him. Maybe there's a misunderstanding between list management and coaching, because our team selectors don't seem to want to give him a go.

Sheldrick looks great at VFL level, but didn't do much at AFL level. I think Sheldrick will make the grade and should be given more on ball rotation time in the coming weeks.

We have to understand that the first dozen games or so are not going to be very productive for most players. The time to get those games into them is a year like this when we are not serious premiership contenders.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I think you are being a bit hard on Gould. The ball was coming out of the middle that quick Tomhawk only needed to take 2 steps and he had a bruised chest. The problem lies in the midfield - not applying pressure
    I agree Tomahawk had two steps on Gould to start. But by the time the ball got there it was six. When either Rampe or Tom play on him they have a fist under his arm somewhere.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I thought McLean played okay Saturday. He covered a lot of ground and often found himself helping out in defence. It's hard to see much forward action being the last targeted forward and Buddy Franklin commanding the ball most of the time.

The best way to exploit a team that doesn't have a ruckman, is not to play a ruckman as well. This offsets the advantage the team without a ruckman has.

On the Toby Greene coverage matter: Ollie played on Greene most of the time. Longmire responded to a question about this with the same answer I gave in an earlier comment in this thread, which was, what are the alternatives? Harry? Campbell? Lloyd?

On the final Greene goal, Ollie had the coverage, but was blocked out and handed over the coverage to Campbell, who mistakenly went to the contest instead of staying on the outside to cover Toby. This was analyzed on Access All Areas today.

On Gould: I think Gould will take some time to adjust to AFL level, but all except the very best need time to adjust. There was no point in signing him for another year if we had no intent to play him. Maybe there's a misunderstanding between list management and coaching, because our team selectors don't seem to want to give him a go.

Sheldrick looks great at VFL level, but didn't do much at AFL level. I think Sheldrick will make the grade and should be given more on ball rotation time in the coming weeks.

We have to understand that the first dozen games or so are not going to be very productive for most players. The time to get those games into them is a year like this when we are not serious premiership contenders.
    Great post. The season still isn’t a write off though. After next week we have a stretch of winnable games, and will start getting a few more players back.
    Campbell’s mistake on Greene at that last stoppage was a classic young player mistake. Greene is one of the best players in the comp, of course he would exploit that inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I agree Tomahawk had two steps on Gould to start. But by the time the ball got there it was six. When either Rampe or Tom play on him they have a fist under his arm somewhere.
    Tomahawk is in top form and I don’t think anyone else would have done better than Gould. If he is asked to play on a top KPF, it is harsh to judge him when he’s only been on the pitch for just minutes. With our current injuries we can give him a run of games to assess if he has a future with us- not because our season is gone, because I don’t think it has, but we simply don’t have anyone else down back and we need to know where he’s at, as we’ve given him this year to prove himself.