Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 8: the other games. Well, at least it starts off well.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Yep. The free kick count was even in the end but the Suns certainly got shafted by the umps in the last quarter and were very stiff!

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Gee the Suns got cooked by the umpires. They were so good and deserved better.

I’ve said before I thought Noah Anderson will win a Brownlow. Watching him go up against Oliver and Petracca was a pleasure. What a gun.
    I know, some controversial non-calls at one end and a generous calls at the other

Toby Greene a late out for the Giants tonight. Why couldn't he have missed last week?!?

Veterans List
    The ABC commentators at the end asking 'why wasn't Chol awarded that push in the back?' I'll tell them why....because it was an interstate team playing a Victorian contender.

And yes, Anderson was awesome tonight. Along with Rowell, who I love to watch. And I think Humphrey is starting to look like a very well spent pick 6.

Veterans List
    Carlton supporters booed after the 3/4 time siren and most left at 3/4 time. They are a funny bunch.

Simply cannot understand anyone who boos their own team!!

Veterans List
    What are people's thoughts on the Van Rooyen suspension? I think he is unlucky. Are players expected to just let the opposition mark the ball in case the attempted spoil makes contact with the head? If the contact is late or deliberate then fair enough.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    What are people's thoughts on the Van Rooyen suspension? I think he is unlucky. Are players expected to just let the opposition mark the ball in case the attempted spoil makes contact with the head? If the contact is late or deliberate then fair enough.
    I also think 2 weeks for that was harsh. It again looks like the (apparent) result and not the action has been taken into account....which sometimes gets people off for worse looking actions. This is wrong.

The weird thing is, VR seems to have grazed the front of Ballards head and Ballard went down grabbing the back of his head, which was not contacted at all. I say 'apparent' because I ask was he actually playing for a free....and will he be playing this week, ie: was he even concussed? Or was he just making out he might be?

I see Melbourne might appeal this and I think they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I think two weeks is excessive. However there are precedents for penalty for similar incidents, including our own Josh Kennedy last year.

Kennedy was charged with striking Sam Docherty of Carlton after he hit Docherty in the head in a late spoiling attempt. Though Docherty had to leave the ground for treatment the impact was graded as medium (whereas van Rooyen’s hit has been graded as high impact, presumably on the basis of the potential of the strike to cause more serious injury than eventuated).

This difference in impact grading led to a one week suspension for Josh compared with two weeks for van Rooyen.

The incident was particularly unfortunate for Kennedy (who had never previously been suspended) as he tore his hamstring while attempting the spoil. As a result the one week suspension became irrelevant to Kennedy’s playing time. And there were no screams about destroying the ‘fabric’ of the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    I've just watched the vision again, and I don't have a problem with the suspension. One week, two weeks - I don't have a strong opinion about. But I don't agree with media suggestions that this somehow undermines the fabric of the game.

The reality is that Van Rooyen's arm didn't get close to the ball. Ballard was in the process of marking it on his chest at the point Van Rooyen's arm clatters into Ballard's head. So while it arguably wasn't late, it was way, way off target. The fact that Van Rooyen didn't keep his eye on the ball the entire way (which I don't think is disputed) likely contributed to him being way off target.

2 weeks is spot on. Clumsy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast