Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: the other games. Interest level has been maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Good observations. McRae has probably tried to get Ginnivan to cut out the ducking, but yes, old habits die hard. Weightman is all about the forward pike and head fling.
    That umpiring performance in the Suns-Dogs match was atrocious, “not up to AFL standard”, as the League would so blithely dismiss it. Tipped the Dogs, barracked full on for the Suns. They’ve got a beauty in Humphrey.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Yes, I think if anyone started watching that game as a neutral, after a while, the umpiring would have had them barracking for the Suns. Well that and Matty Rowell. I just love the way that he throws himself into hard contest after contest.

While I don't like the idea of plundering the expansion clubs, if I had a choice of a player that I could bring to the Swans, it'd probably be Rowell. We probably need another hard as nails, inside mid; especially one who will develop into an inspirational leader. Although Nic Daicos also appeals. Hugely skilful ball user, with the added bonus of years of extravagant indignation from Collingwood fans.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 28th May 2023 at 10:48 AM.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    What I want to see at the next Dogs game when Weightman is playing: the Swans' cheersquad "scoring" his dives out of 10. [6.5] [6.0] [6.5] [7.0] [6.5] [7.0] [6.5]
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    In soccer, this is called "simulation" and can result in suspensions.

Simulation should be made a reportable offence with mandatory suspensions: 1 week if a free kick was paid, 2 weeks if it led to a goal, up to 12 weeks if it changed the outcome of a match. Attaching suspensions is necessary so the offence disqualifies the offender from receiving best and fairest awards. Cheating isn't fair.
    IIRC, a few years back, the AFL did decide to attach suspensions and fines to staging, but then didn't really both to follow it up. Those punishments might actually still be in the rule book somewhere?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    The free kick stats in the Suns game was Suns 13, Poodles 22.

I think those figures are a little misleading as the Suns had a fairly good run with frees in the third quarter. But in the other 3 quarters, they were totally screwed over. The Suns only got 2 frees in the first half and they came in the last few minutes of the second quarter. The Poodles almost got to half time without having a free kick paid against them!! And the first 2 goals the Poodles scored in the last quarter - which brought them back into the game - came about when blatant free kicks to the Suns were ignored. It's sickening that the Poodles get such favourable treatment in so many of their games! Fortunately, the Suns were fantastic and were able to overcome the shoddy treatment they received!

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    IIRC, a few years back, the AFL did decide to attach suspensions and fines to staging, but then didn't really both to follow it up. Those punishments might actually still be in the rule book somewhere?
    The AFL has been directionless for the past few years.
    I agree that a suspension would be the fastest way to eliminate staging.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The AFL has been directionless for the past few years.
    I agree that a suspension would be the fastest way to eliminate staging.
    Gil is a spineless git

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Gil is a spineless git
    Never a truer word spoken. Proven conclusively during the last two years of Goodesie’s storied career.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    What I want to see at the next Dogs game when Weightman is playing: the Swans' cheersquad "scoring" his dives out of 10. [6.5] [6.0] [6.5] [7.0] [6.5] [7.0] [6.5]
    For anyone who didn't catch the latest installment of the Cody Tapes, here it is.

https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/...31322684690438

Cornes - bless him - has called for action in a column this morning. Sadly for Cornes, he hasn't twigged that if the umpires are rewarding the instigators with a free, they clearly don't realise that they have staged, so are hardly going to pay a free kick against them.

“Get it out of the game”: AFL urged to penalise players staging for free kicks

This is something the MRO/tribunal system needs to sort out. It's too hard to rely on the umpires to always see what happens. Though I would be in favour of instructing the umpires to only pay free kicks where they see a whole incident, not just assume something happened based on seeing a player flop. They'll still miss a few but it would get some of the softer free kicks out of the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1662309485288001536

And here's the King one.

I liked the action of the Hawthorn player who realised there was nothing to lose by knocking King over again as he walked to the goal square.

It's too easy to dupe the umpires, especially when the crowd are behind the staging team, like the Darwin crowd were behind the Dogs. The umpire bias was palpable in the Dogs-Suns game. It seemed like they wanted to satisfy the folks who came out to see the Dogs win, and they nearly succeeded.

The one good thing is that proven stagers tend to get a bad run from umpires after it's pointed out how they got duped. The umps don't like being embarrassed like that and there is payback down the road for the worst offenders.

I hope we benefit next game from the Max King staging.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    You are probably one of the top leaders for the round as most of us picked Carlton and then the favourites for the next four games.
    I did tip us & Freo as I was going for some calculated roughies being so far behind in the tipping. I was so tempted to pick GC and ruing not doing so. Missed put on GWS and Hawks. Could've made serious inroads.

I have tipped Crows against Brissy and Tigers against Port as my other roughies today.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast